Author Topic: steering box slop  (Read 2157 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
steering box slop
« on: February 25, 2019, 01:35:27 PM »
 Finalizing steering  and replace all bolts with new.Found some slop in steering box that I had felt earlier but racked it up to loose fasteners. Its not a lot but enough that you can see it in movement at steering wheel with non in front end. Norm or a issue? I did adjust the screw in the cover a little but stopped when felt everything tighten up effort wise,still slop just harder to turn. SPE box by the way. Wondering if needs a rebuild or just normal and I am looking to hard.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

Re: steering box slop
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:57:08 PM »
 The bolt on the side cover does nothing to tighten up the box, its just a stop to keep the pin located in the scroll gear.  Mic the pin at diff points, might have a flat spot and you can press the pin out and rotate it. but also mic the scroll. biggest killer is staticly turning the steering (while not in motion) HUGE loads that move metal. always assist by turning the front tires.  Strange boxes are similar, but don't think they want to work on them.  I think M/W still has some service parts for the SPE boxes

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: steering box slop
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 08:16:59 AM »
Thanks will call M W tomorrow and see after I pull it apart today.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot