Author Topic: 2019 NHRA Hot Rod Heritage Racing Series Rules Supplement  (Read 8940 times)

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
2019 NHRA Hot Rod Heritage Racing Series Rules Supplement
« on: February 25, 2019, 09:03:15 AM »
For those of you who are interested; the past amendments have been combined and integrated into one package. One change of note based upon a controversy at last year's CHRR is that nitro is no longer permitted in the NE or Gasser classes. 

http://promod.nhra.com/userfiles/file/Tech/2019%20HRHS%20Rulebook.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3F-bi0mhy1TvJcCuiYk8Jk0f5FOLlQkPm0PcPGQG_ayMVYyCkHcZ2YZLc

dreracecar

Re: 2019 NHRA Hot Rod Heritage Racing Series Rules Supplement
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 09:31:04 AM »
And this little gem that popped up in the mainly dragster classes
  " A secondary steering shaft stop must be installed to prevent long steering shaft from injuring driver in case of frontal impact (i.e., collar or U-joint pinned at crossmember, bracket, etc.)."

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - Humboldt County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Canode 225" Ex-Nostalgia Top Fueler
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:35:21 AM »
They also screwed up some of the NTF rules.  Since when did headers need to be insulated down the the bend in the body???   :o
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:  1997 Hal Canode 225" FED

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 10:37:07 AM »
I guess that the determining factor is the NHRA's definition of long.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 11:10:26 AM »
considered "LONG"  If its length is greater that whomever came up with this rules "junk"

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »
They also screwed up some of the NTF rules.  Since when did headers need to be insulated down the the bend in the body???   :o

Deffinatly a mis-use of "cut & paste" as the exhaust requirments are posted on page 42 which say they must be directed away from driver

Offline glofria

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »
As a die-hard door car racer, this is the one that gets me under Gas Eliminator Section 7:

BODY
Full-bodied vehicles: Must have full top and windshield. All full-bodied cars must have two driver exits. Four stock-production fenders mandatory, fiberglass duplicates permitted. Fenders may be trimmed for tire clearance; altered fenders must have edges re-rolled or beaded.

Am I misunderstanding the line about fenders, because some of the Pro Mod style cars don't fit the term "stock-production." At this point in time, why don't they eliminate the sentence.

Offline xlr8

• View Profile
    • JEFF CHANDLER MATCO TOOLS
  • Your Best Time: 7.99 1/4 mile 166 mph
  • Your Engine: Pontiac Alcohol 428
  • Your Track: BARONA
  • Your Vehicle: 190" FED
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 01:49:48 PM »
For those of you who are interested; the past amendments have been combined and integrated into one package. One change of note based upon a controversy at last year's CHRR is that nitro is no longer permitted in the NE or Gasser classes. 

What was the controversy with nitro? Just curious.
Jeff Chandler - Matco Tools
619-991-7845
xlr8jsc@cox.net

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »
None that anybody is aware of, Couple of racers "trim" their alc to make up for bad air, but nothing over 25%

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.70 1/8
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsport park
  • Your Vehicle: 225" slip joint FED
  • General Location: Houston
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 06:42:37 AM »
What kind of controversy's?

Offline glofria

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »

What was the controversy with nitro? Just curious.

The previous rules stated that nitro was permitted in Nostalgia Eliminator and the Gasser Classes. (I have to find a copy in one of my flash drives). One new race team who was looking to run injected nitro in A/Fuel decided to step down to NE1 (I assume) to sort out their car at the Reunion. On Friday, they made one qualifying attempt with a heavy load of nitro. (Go to 8: 17:30 mark on the video below.)

Someone complained and tech went to them in the pits and through them out for the rest of the weekend. The team did not asked to review the rule book with the tech official right then and there and just accepted the ruling. It was only after the weekend back home did the racers review the rule book themselves and realize what it written and complained on Facebook. Eventually, they reached out to Division 7 Director Mike Rice, but never heard back.

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
The REAL story of what happened !
  First it's not a new team, but a new driver. We had planned on making runs at Fontana one week before to make license upgrade runs for advanced ET. Fontana was a rain out so we went to Bakersfield hoping to make upgrade in Afuel qualifying but no go. We already paid long in advance to enter & it was suggested that we enter NE1 and just run the car. NE1 is an all run class so we did not need to Qualify just needed to go down the track and we were in. We made one easy hit to get the new driver familiar with the car & planned to make a full easy pass in first round. I was informed before I left the starting line that Mike Rice wasn't happy. I knew that nitro was legal in the past. Ken Gentry was already talking to my driver when I got to the car. Ken was somewhat shaken, like someone had upset him. He asked, Van can you take the nitro out ? I asked why - he said that they- NHRA didn't want nitro in NE 1  I told Ken that I could not run the car on Alky alone. I could see that he was visibly upset, I said Ken calm down we will put the car away. I did not want to put Ken in a bad position & didn't want to start a NHRA war. NO one ever came to our pit or ever talked to us any further.

dreracecar

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 09:18:06 AM »
If the car and driver were up to it (spec and license) they should have switched you to 7.0 where injected nitro remains to be legal and is an all run class

Offline glofria

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »
Thanks for the clear explanation Van. That makes more sense.

Bruce, i believe an advanced ET license is good for quicker than 7.50. Van explained the driver didn't have one. Therefore, if he did, then they would have a ran A/F as they signed up for in the first place.

Offline glofria

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 11:09:34 AM »
Just saw that NHRA today has amended  the rules for Nostalgia Eliminator and nitro is permitted.

http://promod.nhra.com/userfiles/file/Tech/2019%20HRHS%20Rulebook%202-28-2019.pdf

No such luck for the Gassers.