Author Topic: AFR system...  (Read 2703 times)

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.638@140.65mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 327 small block
  • Your Track: Cecil County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: slingshot dragster
  • General Location: East coast
AFR system...
« on: February 04, 2019, 05:01:43 AM »
After buying a complete system from Nitrous Express, I am currently installing and wiring my FED. I purchased a maximizer 5 progressive controller unit with the intention of hooking up an AFR sensor to it to safeguard my engine. It has become apparent that I do not fully understand the components of such a system. I went to buy a sensor then found out that I need to purchase a complete module which then plugs into something else. After totaling up the cost I hit at about $800 and stopped before I purchased to get some advice. What do I really need to have a functioning sensor that I can hook up to the Lambda wire of my max 5. The company has suggested I stick with a system from AEM or Innovative. If I can't figure this out the only other option is a $3 plug for the bung....which does not look too bad right now.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: AFR system...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 01:20:39 PM »
Nitrous express will give you a pretty safe tune up to start with just don't guess for your self an what you think it needs ! You can do just as much damage from being way rich as you can from being too lean ! 

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.638@140.65mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 327 small block
  • Your Track: Cecil County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: slingshot dragster
  • General Location: East coast
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »
Yeah, I just wanted to incorporate the AFR feature of the Max 5 for added protection. I was going to stick to the recommended jetting from Express. It would just be nice to know what the ratio is.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 06:33:48 PM »
With all the electronics your installing I would recommend installing a mini alternator on your dragster.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 07:47:11 PM »
here is a great site to get info on 02 sensors etc.   the AEM products are great and have used them many times.  in short your n20 controller is just receiving a signal.  the O2 needs a 'controller' to heat and maintain a specific temp regardless of whos system you use.   innovate  LC2 is a good unit too.  .  upside on innovate is if you want to log other things you can do that with thier system by adding on the SSI-4 or pocket logger.  if you want to log other things with AEm then you need AQ1 or their dash.  watch out on AEMnet gauge's if wanting to use Canbus.. some are still analogue.. ran across this helping a buddy out on his ride with the AEM EMS-4.  i can tell you more about this if interested, some units are limited to what  they will read on canbus with their (aem) own products. but both good and both economically priced. you dont have to buy 250 dollar sensors. you can use off the shelf stuff and run a few wires.

https://wbo2.com/lsu/lsuworks.htm

The job of the controller is to maintain the diffusion chamber's temperature within close limits and to control the mixture there at stoich by pumping more or less Ip current, and by changing the direction of Ip when the mixture changes between lean and rich. A precise measurement of Ip is made to calculate the Lambda of the mixture by using a look-up table

For the controller to work at all, the sensor element must be heated to the correct operational temperature where oxygen ions can sustain the necessary catalytic reactions. The sensor temperature is maintained at the optimal operating temperature by measuring the impedance (electrical resistance) of either the pump cell or the Vs sense cell.

Dean