Author Topic: trans shield replacement  (Read 5984 times)

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
trans shield replacement
« on: February 03, 2019, 07:01:00 AM »
replacing trans shield,do you have to install lower strap? Have a heavy duty after market deep pan. The pan is thicker than lower strap!

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: trans shield replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:37:38 PM »
I don't know about your local track but at the DIV III e.t. Finals the tech guys checked for those straps and BOUNCED my buddy for not having them. (Last year they also bounced me for not having sheetmetal flooring over my trans. It was back home and I had to ask a team member to relay it down to me or they would not let me race.) At our local track they let the "regulars" slide on these points. But the rulebook clearly states the requirement for (both).
I know what I would do. Either put a stock pan back on (in conjunction with a trans cooler if you do not already have one) - or - make new, longer straps from the same material as original [1/8 galvanized metal strap 1" wide]. Technically, that's verboten but if they were equivalent to the originals it would take a pretty hard-hearted tech guy not to let you race it.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 04:22:22 AM »
I don't know about your local track but at the DIV III e.t. Finals the tech guys checked for those straps and BOUNCED my buddy for not having them. (Last year they also bounced me for not having sheetmetal flooring over my trans. It was back home and I had to ask a team member to relay it down to me or they would not let me race.) At our local track they let the "regulars" slide on these points. But the rulebook clearly states the requirement for (both).
I know what I would do. Either put a stock pan back on (in conjunction with a trans cooler if you do not already have one) - or - make new, longer straps from the same material as original [1/8 galvanized metal strap 1" wide]. Technically, that's verboten but if they were equivalent to the originals it would take a pretty hard-hearted tech guy not to let you race it.
If you had a -15 suit I'm pretty sure he should have let you race without the transmission covered. With cover you are allowed a -5 suit. IHRA allows -5 with or without the trans covered.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 06:44:09 AM »
Yes BK,
That is what the techie guy told me too. I could have raced the car as-is if I was wearing a suit for a supercharged car, and he suggested I scour the other racers there to see if anybody had an extra suit in their trailer. Since I am 6'6" I knew the chances of me borrowing a suit I could fit into and safely wield the car were zilch. Fortunately one of our racers had not left Detroit yet and through the helpful relay of some racers and my neighbor whom I instructed how to break into my basement and get the required tin I was able to make myself legal to race.

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 07:31:17 PM »
The lower strap isn't so much for keeping the pan from going down, as much it keep the shield from going up. All of the straps are needed for it to work as designed.

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 04:30:32 PM »
Boots are also required for an exposed transmission

Offline racerken

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.76 1/4 mile (FED)
  • Your Track: State Capital Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Baton Rouge La
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:33:02 PM »
It's been awhile but I was not allowed to run an nhra division race once because I didn't have the lower shield.

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:59:46 AM »
Is a transmission shield like this OK to be able to use a -5 firesuit instead of a -15 in a carbureted FED?  https://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/970005/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyKrxBRDHARIsAKCzn8z8DbY6DHuowPP7Z02UpQc0HZ1KYvHytQhOeaPdJtuVx7Wtfx1KEY4aAra9EALw_wcB  Or, is a cover that covers ALL of the transmission required if using a -5 firesuit? What is the material requirement to constitute a full cover?

I would expect a flexplate shield is required too.

Lynn

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 10:17:26 AM »
SFI flexplate required along with an SFI shield. NHRA says with flexplate & trans shield & trans cover -5 suit. With flexplate & trans shield -15.

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
Thanks. What's the material and thickness specified for the cover material to be approved with a -5 suit?

Lynn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »
I think .040 aluminum.

I will say I flunked tech at the Indy e.t. finals because I did not have my floor in. (Its very confining so I often left it out for more foot room (size 13 shoes). The tech guy said either get a blown FE driver suit or put a floor in it.

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 10:07:31 AM »
Couldn’t find anything on the thickness of the transmission cover so I’d suspect a minimum of .032” aluminum or .024” steel. You can always call your NHRA division office and they can probably point you to a tech person that could answer that question.

The rulebook:

Section 4A, #7
“Subflooring independent of car body is mandatory in dragster that allows driver’s legs to rest on belly pan or chassis.”

Section 21, #6.1
“All interior panels (firewalls, floors, wheel tubs, doors, etc.) within the driver compartment of enclosed cockpit cars where the driver is located behind the engine must be constructed of materials other than magnesium.”

Section 21, #7.5
“Belly pans and subfloors enclosing engine or driver compartment must contain suitable drain holes so that liquids and foreign matter cannot collect, thus creating a fire hazard. Minimum .032-inch aluminum or .024-inch steel.”

Online wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »
 qUESTION ON SUBJECT. Do you have to have sheild with a up to date trans case such as Reid or ATI.? I am covered on  suit with 20 and the boots,well other than date which means a 15 suit after getting re certified.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 06:07:04 PM »
No shield is needed when you have an aftermarket case with a current cert.

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 10:33:32 AM »
I think they're discussing having a floor in so you don't have to wear a -15 suit.  if you have a floor, (and are not blown), you can "get away" with a -5 suit.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com