Author Topic: how much weight are you adding 225"  (Read 3227 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
how much weight are you adding 225"
« on: January 22, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »
just trying to get idea of how much lead i need to make.  225'' fed, blown, 50" out.   i know every ride is different but just ball park. 

ty
dean

Offline noslin

• View Profile
Re: how much weight are you adding 225"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:51:53 AM »
ok, to not be so specific. 

• how much weight did you add,
  • length of your fed
  • how far out the motor
  • blown or inj
  • big block, or small block

ty
dean

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 05:52:43 PM »
My opinion here. The longer the wheelbase (Lever) the lighter the front needs to be.  The more horsepower the heavier it needs to be. Bottom line it it is a balancing job to get it right and if there is too much up front car will not work. IMHO.
My car is 225 inches with 760 Hp, 1730 with 389 up front.  Did not work very good. So I am moving weight and making other major changes. I believe on my car it needs to carry front tires out a ways to keep rear tires planted. Right now it pops them up drops them back down and unloads rear tires. Also I am thinking on this car a stiff sidewall tire may help this chassis work better. My goal is to get it to hook good on any track. Now 300 does not sound like much weight and it is not but look at how long the chassis is and that works like a long lever.

I think on my car with my horsepower it really needs to be around 300 LBS up front.  Once I get it right then probably 10 LBS over front wheels would make a difference.

Do you even know what the static weight is up front?  Where is battery located? Fuel cell? How big is it? With a 225 inch car I would shoot for 300-320 up front as a starting point.

Nobody can answer how much weight to add if we do not know what the static weight is.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 07:57:24 PM »
My opinion here. The longer the wheelbase (Lever) the lighter the front needs to be.  The more horsepower the heavier it needs to be. Bottom line it it is a balancing job to get it right and if there is too much up front car will not work. IMHO.
My car is 225 inches with 760 Hp, 1730 with 389 up front.  Did not work very good. So I am moving weight and making other major changes. I believe on my car it needs to carry front tires out a ways to keep rear tires planted. Right now it pops them up drops them back down and unloads rear tires. Also I am thinking on this car a stiff sidewall tire may help this chassis work better. My goal is to get it to hook good on any track. Now 300 does not sound like much weight and it is not but look at how long the chassis is and that works like a long lever.

I think on my car with my horsepower it really needs to be around 300 LBS up front.  Once I get it right then probably 10 LBS over front wheels would make a difference.

Do you even know what the static weight is up front?  Where is battery located? Fuel cell? How big is it? With a 225 inch car I would shoot for 300-320 up front as a starting point.

Nobody can answer how much weight to add if we do not know what the static weight is.

thank you for the reply, i have not weighed it yet.  ill see if i can locate some scales locally and do that first. fuel cell is 6 gal i think, its about 30" back of front axle.  battery weighs 2lbs, 10oz co2 bottle weighs prob 5lbs.  thinking about it, i dont have spoke wheels so im guessing teh welds are probably twice as heavy as spokes and also the fire bottles are in front of front axle and im guessing 30lbs between those two items.   

Thank you
dean