Author Topic: Spring upgrades....  (Read 8495 times)

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.638@140.65mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 327 small block
  • Your Track: Cecil County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: slingshot dragster
  • General Location: East coast
Re: Spring upgrades....
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 04:09:50 AM »
I have no idea about the weight, it is in the plans to take it to the scales this spring to find out. Since it is only a 165" FED I estimate between 1600-1800. I am already running 30lbs of extra weights on the nose. I lack about 3/4" of space to fit the bottle between the side rail and the fuel pump on either side now so I am thinking to move the pump and fuel line all the way over to one side and attempt the get the bottle centered as much as I can. This will also give me a few inches of space between the bottle heater and the fuel components.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 08:24:54 AM »
Agree with on the nose. From everyone I have talked with FED's normally have to add to front and anything you can put there will just help eliminate adding more weight. Only down side to NOS system in front would be you will have to purge the line more to get max hit from it.,Hey that looks cool anyway,so maybe not that bad.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
After looking at the photo of your dragster, you might consider moving the fuel pump & filter to the right side of the car and putting the bottle on the left side. The bottle doesn’t have to be perfectly centered, you will already have the weight of pump, filter, & hoses on the right so a little to left of center shouldn’t effect anything. Will the mount & bottle fit under the body and still set at an angle?

As for which single pipe in a set of zoomies to install an EGT sensor, that will depend on intake manifold flow characteristics from cylinder to cylinder and every intake is a little different, among other things. I’d suggest just going with the manufactures recommendations. Using Bruce’s example, with your car making about 400hp now & running 9.5 - 9.6 ETs, just a 75hp hit of nitrous should put you into the 8.9s. I think NOS is a good idea, I’m wanting to try some later this year myself:)

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 05:00:34 PM »
Thanks fellas.....that was just the answer I was hoping to hear. I do have room in the front to keep the bottle at an angle and if I don't have to have it perfectly centered then I have room to keep the bottle heater away from the fuel system. I never gave any thought to having more weight in the front but it makes sense. I have a complete kit coming from Nitrous Express on Friday and will post some pics of the installation

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
Sounds like fun!
     These cars are lightweight and you won't need the cubic inches to go real fast. Personally I'd stay away from the longer stroke. I know there are several ways to do it but when you add the blower you won't need the longer stroke. Big bore/short stroke/long rod is a good way to go and 1000+hp is very VERY easily reached. Also with the blower you wont need to turn a lot of rpm. I only have 370" 10-1 compression with a street blower, no stripping and driven at 1-1 and shifting at 6,400 its running in the mid 4.70's eighth mile which is 7.60 qtr mile. Either way, be safe and have fun.

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »
Having a ball working on my FED over the winter and always love to see the UPS truck pull up. This week they brought me a present from the Carolinas . Wideopen custom made me a set of zoomies at a very reasonable price and shipped them to me. Being that he used Stahl flanges I had to purchase a set of Stahl adapter plates that are better quality than what I had on to begin with. Love the new look of my FED now that I don't have to constantly watch those hot upsweep headers. Thank you Wideopen for a quality product and a job well done.

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »
As far as the Stahl adapter plates go, I have a bit of a dilemma. The exhaust ports in the plates are quite a bit smaller than the head ports. I saw a comment about this on Jegs when I ordered them and common sense tells me to open them up to the same diameter but want to get some advice on this. One would think that stuff like this on a SBC would kinda be universal but I guess not. Also, the bolts I took out that bolted the old adapter plate to the head looks like they were installed with anti-seize on them. When I bolt the new adapters on for good should I use anti-seize?

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »
Yes open them up to the same as the port size of the head ! The header itself will be bigger than the plate and that is fine !

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 06:06:41 AM »
Spray back side with machinist dye(sharpie works also),attach to head use a scribe to mark remove and grind to match port.  Try to keep same angle as port floor and roof when grinding. Will actually pick up exhaust port flow.  Look at AJPE heads FOR Hemi the exhaust ports are extended  for this reason. Glad to hear plate corrected bolt issue.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot