Author Topic: Spring upgrades....  (Read 8523 times)

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.638@140.65mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 327 small block
  • Your Track: Cecil County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: slingshot dragster
  • General Location: East coast
Spring upgrades....
« on: December 31, 2018, 05:19:20 AM »
Well last summer was a great summer that introduced me to the world of FED racing and I had a ball. Got a lot of good advice on this forum that enabled me to get into the mid 9s with my 327 small block. I am currently saving up coin to enable me to purchase a new engine but that will not be until the winter of 2020 so I am looking for some upgrades to install for this coming summer. I have pretty much decided to add some NOS to the mix, nothing big....maybe a 50 to 200 hp spray but need a little guidance on how to do this. The first piece I would like to add from this puzzle is a new set of pipes. I currently have a set of upswept headers on. They look great but to replace costs a bit more than I am willing to spend on pipes. I am looking at a set of 45* upsweep zoomies that I am keen on and are of reasonable price. In doing my research on spray I see that an EGT sensor seems to be a pretty vital part of the system. To do this however I will have to contact the company who makes the pipes and get them to fabricate a port into the zoomies for the sensor. Is my thinking pretty well on track to achieve a well functioning NOS system? If so is there a certain cylinder that is preferable to mount this sensor in? Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
Re: Spring upgrades....
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 06:06:56 AM »
To bad you're not looking to upgrade now, we're switching to a big block and have our stack injected 355 for sale..best of 8.78 in a 1600 pound altered

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 07:27:08 AM »
Sounds sweet but just not in the cards for 2019. The big game plan is to dump 20-30k into an engine in 2020 but as to which engine will take me some time to decide. For right now I have to work with what I got and get some more seat time under my belt.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 07:39:39 AM »
Pm sent on zoomies.If can help let me know.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 08:08:42 AM »
Running gas, a 50-200 hit is really nothing as long as there are good parts in the motor and marginal if its a bone stock w/ the 200. (good head gaskets are a must) that unless you already have a EGT setup, its not nesasary. Guessing if you car weighs 1700# and running mid 9's, a 150hit will lower your ET 1 sec. Different manuf offer different probes and attachments. some its a SS npt bung welded, some is a propritary fitting, and Ive seen a probe attached to a hoseclamp so just a .250 hole in the header is all thats needed
  Check with who's group you run with as some Nostalgia groups do not allow NOS.

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
Wideopen, reply PM sent. Good info here, I do not run with any group or race in any class....my racing is done on test n tune and grudge night only for the shear thrill of the speed and personal satisfaction. I am at a disadvantage in that when I bought my FED it was from an estate sale of a fella in Texas that had passed away. Thus, I got no info on it other than how to start it. From what I can tell someone put some money into the engine....it is definitely not stock so if I could go higher on the NOS that would be great and a 1 second shave off my time would make me ecstatic. I am not ashamed to admit also that I am rather green at running a FED with no previous experience with spray so learning to safely handle the increase in power is also my goal. I am considering purchasing a Stinger system with all the bells and whistles in which I could increase the power as I gain experience. The one thing I don't want to do is have a melt down and end my season next year early so that is why I am trying to gain as much knowledge as I can. Although I know that detonation is always a possibility I have read that if one is careful and has the right setup that running an engine with spray should be fairly consistent on the same motor.

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »
Right now at a 9.5 ET you are only around 400HP (if that). Stay with the Manuf recomendations of fuel supply and you will be fine, but get to know their Tech person by his first name. There are a lot of variables that effect performance when dealing with super high HP as Low ET's that affect piston life, in your case (8.50's @160mph) you are pretty safe with a small system, use a 500+ system, and problems will start to appear

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
nitrous is deadly consistent. Keep same pressure in bottle and system in good working order and you are fine. As said small system is stupid easy and when you step up to big or multiple systems things get little more touchy.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »
Sounds sweet but just not in the cards for 2019. The big game plan is to dump 20-30k into an engine in 2020 but as to which engine will take me some time to decide. For right now I have to work with what I got and get some more seat time under my belt.

20-30k in an engine how quick are you wanting to run? That amount and you will need a lot of other to be upgraded.

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 03:05:39 PM »

20-30k in an engine how quick are you wanting to run? That amount and you will need a lot of other to be upgraded.

Paul, if one day I can match the best time that you have posted I would be on top of the world but I also realize that won't be tomorrow, LOL. I don't think this FED of mine has had one upgrade done to it since it was built in the 90s so I am expecting to dump some coin into it. I would rather pay a little more for a better quality part than take a chance and have to pay for it twice. If I can get that quality part at a more reasonable price which leaves coin to allocate to other places then that is great. 20-30k is going to be the piggy bank for the year 2020. I am considering a 432 SB with a roots blower @ 850hp....average price is 20K. Got to give that some thought, I realize the stress I will put on the other components.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »
Sounds like fun!

dreracecar

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »

Paul, if one day I can match the best time that you have posted I would be on top of the world but I also realize that won't be tomorrow, LOL. I don't think this FED of mine has had one upgrade done to it since it was built in the 90s so I am expecting to dump some coin into it. I would rather pay a little more for a better quality part than take a chance and have to pay for it twice. If I can get that quality part at a more reasonable price which leaves coin to allocate to other places then that is great. 20-30k is going to be the piggy bank for the year 2020. I am considering a 432 SB with a roots blower @ 850hp....average price is 20K. Got to give that some thought, I realize the stress I will put on the other components.

A 432 is pushing it,  Ive run a 375 (3.5 x 4.135) into the high 6.80's with moderate (nothing super trick) parts, simple thru the hat fuel system and a 3.5 amp magneto

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »
OK, need some advice here......Just purchased a Pro Power cross bar NOS system from Nitrous Express with 2 10lb bottles. I am trying to figure out where I am going to mount the bottle for there are not a whole lot of options on this thing. I could mount it behind the seat but to change out bottles would be a major undertaking and really impractical. The only other option I have is to mount it in the nose but it would be in proximity of the fuel cell and the pump. I have purchased and plan to use a bottle heater. Placing it in the nose would be really practical for swapping out bottles but need no know if this would be acceptable.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 07:31:48 PM »
Put any ballast you can in the nose of a FED odds are you do not need any extra weight in the back

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »
How much does your car weigh with you in it ?
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels