Author Topic: nostalgia eleminator type event  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Guido

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.52 185 mph
  • Your Engine: Supercharged sbc
  • Your Track: Kearney raceway park
  • Your Vehicle: 170" FED
  • General Location: Mid westMHRUWX
nostalgia eleminator type event
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:32:20 PM »
We are having a nostalgia race at our local track this year and im trying to organize a nostalgia eliminator class, front engine, center steer. No electronics. There are only a couple cars on our local area and am trying to draw some cars from the surrounding states. This will be a 2 day event and im raising up some decent prize money and am wondering what the best format would be to run. Would race both days and payout both days, or do qualifying or a test and tune first day and eliminations the next? Any input on what people like at other events would be great.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: nostalgia eleminator type event
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »
Milan (MI) includes a Nostalgia Comp Eliminator class at three of their vintage oriented races each year - the Detroit Dragway Reunion, Kickin' It Old School, and Nostalgia Drags. It is a 4/10 Pro Tree Index based (1/2 second increments). Declare an Index and qualify off that index - closest to the number qualifies #1 on the laddered pairing. Higher qualifier has lane choice.

Usually its race two days, two separate races, two qualifying runs and eliminations each day. Payout and entry fee is the same for each day. Entry fee is $50. Winner gets $500, runner up $250, semis $100. Guaranteed purse.
I know some are going to say,"Heck, I won't even take my car out of the trailer to run for only $500!"
We usually only get eight cars. If you do the math you'll see the track loses money on this eliminator. But it enhances the overall quality of the meet and they're good with that. And if I win first round I actually make money.

I keep my older "The Last Logghe" altered tuned up just for these races and usually run the 10.50 index and as such, am always the slowest car there. [ I rebuilt the car several years back to slow it down so I don't have to jump thru the NHRA 9.99 chassis re-cert hoops for a car that only gets raced a few times a year.]

For FEDs and center steered altereds and funnys. Its usually about 50/50 FEDs/ altereds. Trans brakes are OK (hey, if you need a trans brake for a 4/10 tree knock yourself out, buddy). The track tries to make it an all-inclusive bracket without allowing modern Super Comp and Super Gas cars to play.

Its some of the funnest racing I do. None of us take ourselves too seriously. Its a good group. And when a fan came up to me and said when I ran a 7.50 AA/A the fans were on their feet and it was the best race of the day, I felt good. (I won that round LOL).

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:35:58 AM by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER »

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »
Pro tree or Sportsman tree?

Offline Guido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:05:52 PM »
Thanks for the input, was thinking of doing 1/2 second index starting at 7.50 to 9.0. And yes pro tree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 09:54:41 AM »
Why are you limiting it to cars faster than 9.0? We get some 9.5 and 10.0 cars. I thought you said in your opening post you were looking to attract a bigger field? Some of the older codgers who wheel these bitches don't want to be going real fast and are limited by either their aging skills or their aging hardware. I can tell you a six cylinder altered needs a real stout ($$$!!!) engine to run 9.0Hs. Likewise other vintage powerplants - Y-blocks, BOPs, flatties, etc.

So your blown SBC avatar car with a best e.t. of 9.34 couldn't play?

You'll need to decide if you want to mimic the HRR classes of NHRAs Nostalgia Eliminator with big numbers and big budgets or encourage folks to get out older cars and have fun like it used to be.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:59:27 AM by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER »

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 05:31:01 PM »
FRENCHTOWN FLYER is right! For a good field you should widen your ET and might get some interesting entries
 good luck , it's a lot of work and you can't count on other people only a small group will do most of it. start early as there will be delays getting things from the printers for flyers, posters, t-shirts and the art work if any. i use to sign a contract as what the track was committed to and what you are responsibilities and what your allowed( one track we were not allowed to sell t-shirts or pictures,verbal is some times not enough.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 08:31:11 PM »
Guido, I'll pass on something a track operator once told me: If you host a special event and eighty racers say they will show up - plan on eight actually showing up.

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 08:41:29 PM »
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER so true and they are the ones closest to the track!

Offline Guido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 05:00:50 AM »
I was throwing the index's out there for reference and that's what i was wanting to find out what range to run it, or do a dial in, or I have seen a one shot dial in. I'm defanitly not wanting to limit cars and am looking for an average poll of what people would want to see to attend. I know 6 months isn't verry far away, I'm working on getting everything set now.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:37:07 PM »
Milan (MI) includes a Nostalgia Comp Eliminator class at three of their vintage oriented races each year - the Detroit Dragway Reunion, Kickin' It Old School, and Nostalgia Drags. It is a 4/10 Pro Tree Index based (1/2 second increments). Declare an Index and qualify off that index - closest to the number qualifies #1 on the laddered pairing. Higher qualifier has lane choice.

Usually its race two days, two separate races, two qualifying runs and eliminations each day. Payout and entry fee is the same for each day. Entry fee is $50. Winner gets $500, runner up $250, semis $100. Guaranteed purse.
I know some are going to say,"Heck, I won't even take my car out of the trailer to run for only $500!"
We usually only get eight cars. If you do the math you'll see the track loses money on this eliminator. But it enhances the overall quality of the meet and they're good with that. And if I win first round I actually make money.

I keep my older "The Last Logghe" altered tuned up just for these races and usually run the 10.50 index and as such, am always the slowest car there. [ I rebuilt the car several years back to slow it down so I don't have to jump thru the NHRA 9.99 chassis re-cert hoops for a car that only gets raced a few times a year.]

For FEDs and center steered altereds and funnys. Its usually about 50/50 FEDs/ altereds. Trans brakes are OK (hey, if you need a trans brake for a 4/10 tree knock yourself out, buddy). The track tries to make it an all-inclusive bracket without allowing modern Super Comp and Super Gas cars to play.

Its some of the funnest racing I do. None of us take ourselves too seriously. Its a good group. And when a fan came up to me and said when I ran a 7.50 AA/A the fans were on their feet and it was the best race of the day, I felt good. (I won that round LOL).
If I showed up with an IHRA license and chassis cert do you think they would let me race?

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »
try to meet with the track before the schedule is finalized so that you are included in any printed material
anything on line they can modify any time.
make a list of any questions you want to ask like the one about license and chassis cert.
you should post the track and date as soon as possible on this site and as many as possible and include face book
do everything possible for a successful event lots of work, been there done that
the best of luck!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 09:32:24 PM »

If I showed up with an IHRA license and chassis cert do you think they would let me race?

I can't speak for the track. At the beginning of the season they ask to see my NHRA license and the head tech guy reminds me if it is coming up due for renewal during that season. I've never been rejected, but I keep mine current so I can go to the E.T. Finals at Indy where they DO require you be licensed. I'd call the track. If I had to guess I'd say you're OK if the IHRA license is current. Just my opinion.