Author Topic: Spark Plug indexing  (Read 28001 times)

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: Spark Plug indexing
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 05:38:06 AM »
Thanks for the insight. I don't see it worth the time or the money for my setup. George

I am going to work on getting more heat in the engine before a run.

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 06:08:47 AM »
On the South West Junior Fuel Association website, Jon Hansen posted some interesting thoughts on engine temperature for Jr Fuel engines. The posting was a while back but you may want to go check that out. Sounds like you have a pretty honking 355 there George. What is your car weight?

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 07:01:31 AM »
Our combination weight is close to 1500. That's with driver etc. We run an on board battery , full length Reid case. Aluminium 8 3/4 case and spool, drilled axles.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 07:58:16 AM »
I'm shooting for the spark plugs having the open side of the gap somewhere between facing down towards the piston top and the intake valve. It's on a Kinsler 2.875" stack injector, methanol and CR will be around 16:1 (maybe). I have no knowledge on what indexing is worth on the dyno or track.
[/q  Chuck when you run comp everything matter's !Comp has to be my favorite class I have worked on Billy Griffin's comp team for 10 year's and really enjoy it . The time and effort that goes into these cars is unreal . These guy's deserve a lot more credit than they get .
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:02:05 AM by masracingtd1167 »

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
On the South West Junior Fuel Association website, Jon Hansen posted some interesting thoughts on engine temperature for Jr Fuel engines. The posting was a while back but you may want to go check that out. Sounds like you have a pretty honking 355 there George. What is your car weight?

I found the article (posted almost 2 years ago)
. Very interesting! Thanks. George

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
Bill...I have zero Comp Eliminator racing experience at this time but I could not agree with you more. Those racers are the real scientists of Drag Racing. I got a taste of that hanging with the Parks and Brian Darcy a bit.
George..."two years"! Seems like I read it yesterday. Time flies.
This thread is getting way off topic.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »

I found the article (posted almost 2 years ago)
. Very interesting! Thanks. George

George - Could you please post the link?

Thanks

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
Here is the post from the SWJFA forum.

Posted by Jon Hansen   on April 28, 2011, 1:37 am
Some of you guys might have noticed, starting with the 1'st SWJFA event I attended, Evadale 08,I was taking engine temps with my infa-red temp gun as you guys were staging. Even holding back a few racers waiting/hoping the engine temp would get hotter.
Alky burners run better with more engine heat. I shoot for 180°to 200° head temp, just above the block as the car is moving into the staging lights. And advised those of you that were not getting anywhere close to those numbers to lean the BV [ and readjust the idle]. Bob McKray shoots for the same temps on his non-RR SBC, 7.20's running car.
Now the 180-200 temps are for water in the heads/blocks combo's. Dry blocks shoot for 150° to 160°
OK, here's "the rest of the story" or at least my 2 cents. 1'st the most important reason to run water, of course it keeps the engine temps more even, especialy in the middle cylinders of a SBC with the exhaust valves next to each other. Case in point if you have ever noticed black marks,streaks in the bore, that means it's been RED HOT there. Running water in the block helps support the cylinders, which helps better ring seal. Bob McKray sometimes gets hired to "tune" at a dyno test. One time he was hired, the customer was happy with the HP it was running, and he said " OK, now dump the water because we race dry" Next run-up it lost 20hp, can't be, so put the water back in, 20hp increase. Holy Crap, how can that be ? Well Bob and I figure the water supports/dampens the harmonics in the cylinder walls, and so you end-up with better ring seal = more power. Our theory was backed-up by Rick Watters, who builds most of the winning Comp elim motors [ he will be glad to build you a complete, top to bottom JrFuel motor for 60-70k], when I talked to him at this years Vegas National event, when he said running with-out water your cylinder walls ring like a bell with harmonics, no way you can get good ring seal with the cylinders vibrating.
As some of you may know, besides having a motor in Bud Hammer's Heritage JrFuel car, I've also had a motor in Dean Carter's B/ND for a couple of years, 2008, 2009, and I crew on his car at the West Coast NHRA Comp events. At 2011 Div 7 race in Vegas [I wasn't there] they cracked a head, either too hot or too much porting, so they couldn't run water. When I was taking engine temps at the Vegas National he was staging at over 200° dry, it ran pretty good with the last qualifing at 7.05, 188mph at 4500'DA. But when I checked the engine temp at the turn-off, it was 235° to 238° for that run. When I check under the valve cover I noticed a pushrod not where it should be, turned-out the # 3 cylinder exhaust valve was stuck in the guide. So they were done racing for the event.
So lesson learned, 235° is way too hot for a dry block, and I think too hot for water too.
Now you know the limits 200° for wet blocks and 170° for dry, and if you're looking for cheap 20hp and you're running dry, run water.
Yes, I know Parks doesn't run or believe in running water, mostly because they lost a round because of a water leak, and of course they consider the weight of the water, and some of their heads are soo large they can't run water.
OH ya we also put a blanket over the motor after we warm it up in the pits before we go to the staging lanes to keep the heat in the motor. Another thing is we plug in our freeze plug heaters [ one on each side], and oil pan heater when we warm-up the motor for the 1'st time of the day.
I know of some bracket racers that change their engine temps to run their index/dial-in. 10° makes a difference.
I hope this helps.
Jon
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:56:53 PM by George »

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 05:19:28 AM »
Looks like my last post killed this thread. Dead!Dead! Dead!  :(

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 06:24:31 AM »
I don't think so George. Everybody is probably busy indexing plugs and playing with engine temperature! If you do decide to run your deal hotter, keep in mind that eventually you will probably need to adjust your fuel system to optimize.

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »
I don't think so George. Everybody is probably busy indexing plugs and playing with engine temperature! If you do decide to run your deal hotter, keep in mind that eventually you will probably need to adjust your fuel system to optimize.

Yea!

I am working on installing a freeze plug heater on each side. The design of coolant flow and return is a question as I don't want a pump and prefer an expansion tank with little or no overflow. Any proven designs out there for a SBC? Thanks.

dreracecar

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »
Sorry to be a little late on this , But I run a waterpump on my blown engine and have not had to touch my heads in over 12 years except for a valve replacment from zinging. A Riverrat waterpump is cam driven and goes between the front cover and your fuel pump.

Offline Cajuninjector

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50@176
  • Your Engine: SBC 406 Alky Stacked Hilborn
  • Your Track: SWJFA
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED-Wizard Race Cars
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 09:12:55 PM »
I run with SWJFA and our block is dry as a bone. Of course we tow the dragster around.
We use to run with water but decided to pull the plug about a year ago mostly for the weight but also for saftey.
When we had water it was just filling the block and not circulating. The water pump holes in the front of the  motor were blocked off, the back two water holes on the hilborn manifold had plugs.
The two front water holes in the hilborn manifold were connected and tee'd into a vented catch can to let any steam out and catch any fluid. Worked really good but I'd have pull the rear plugs to fill with water often. Kind of a pain.
Go Hard or Go Home