Author Topic: Alcohol Engine with No Water  (Read 7679 times)

Offline Tance

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.4 quarter mile
  • Your Engine: 400 DART
  • Your Track: Saegertown
  • Your Vehicle: Alcohol altered, 66 Chevy 4x4, 62 Tempest, 84 Chevy 4x4
  • General Location: NW Pa
Alcohol Engine with No Water
« on: November 26, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
I’m running an alcohol altered, Dart 400 iron block and iron heads.  What I’ve read in various posts is that lots of guys run the cooling system dry, but I’d like a bit more information on that.  Should I leave the intake manifold water connections open, or plug them?  What about pressure buildup if plugged?  Should freeze plugs be removed? 

I’m not running a filled block, not big horsepower or big temperatures, always tow back.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Alcohol Engine with No Water
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:47:22 PM »
I run dry--never any water--with correct tune up no issue running and driving back even on quarter mile
Science and smart folks say that water will help make some power--OK maybe a few HP but
you chunk the rods--the diaper gets full of oil and water--that gets on tires you may kill yourself--diaper has to handle just oil--not so bad as both  No real reason to run water
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
I'm with Dave. 

I also never close the motor.  no freeze plugs.  let air pass thru. 
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:02:27 PM »
Have never ran water with alky. Had lots tell me you can't do it.Got to love being told you can't when you are already doing it. Few HP yes. Then you have radiator,water,pump nad extra wiring good amount of extra weight,IMO its a wash there.Plus one less thing to leak and cause problem. I run richening system and just richen it up if need to drop temp.Yea might shorten life of oil,but then how long do want to run oil in racing engine?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 03:23:09 PM »
As an engine builder I do understand that water in the block is said to promote ring seal by stopping the "bell" type effect--a harmonic deal of sorts--I believe that to a degree--and maybe more even heat Ok I get it but the chance of driving through water at big MPH? I will pass on that no matter what
You can spin a door car out on a pint of water--no way on mine

I am a SAD SOB today as my beautiful car left headed to a great guy Mr Frank Hutto in Denver--he also owns a drag strip in Havanna IL so the car will get to spread it's good Karma and many more folks can see her run--It is the best thing for the car --but for me--what a day......
But I have three aging parents to care for--have had no time to race like I want--and when  I went my dear wife was left at home caring for the folks so nobody to really share the good times with--I mean my racing pals are the best I have ever had in life --but that ride home in the truck all by myself made it all seem selfish a little
The loot will go a long way to some other adventure so.......
Ya'll have been GREAT! And i will be on here everyday anyway like always
and if I open a barn and find another one well.........who knows
Thanks Gang!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:12:18 PM »
I use to run water in my blown alky SBC my reason was to let the head gaskets survive more that a weekend! By running water in only the heads I was able to run an entire season on 1 set of head gaskets about 40 passes. I was not punishing my parts running  6.64-6.80’s  200-206mph shifting around 7800 and creating 24lbs of boost!  I was not worried about kicking out the half gallon of water that I ran in my heads and small water tank and putting the car into the wall after all it could easily be a rod hanging out the side of the block and 2 gallons of oil!  After this engine came out of the car I went to a solid billet headed engine with symmetrical ports so the issues with the center two cylinders was gone more like a BBC so now I no longer run water. 

Offline Tance

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.4 quarter mile
  • Your Engine: 400 DART
  • Your Track: Saegertown
  • Your Vehicle: Alcohol altered, 66 Chevy 4x4, 62 Tempest, 84 Chevy 4x4
  • General Location: NW Pa
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 08:33:52 AM »
Thanks for the experienced replies...

Greggm: open it is, no freeze plugs and let the air circulate through... that's what I hoped to hear.

Wide Open: I agree... it's a wash, but the scales tip toward no water because it's so much simpler.

Duster Dave: you'll always be a drag racer... use that money to buy a nice driver to work on, something fun to get you to the races as a spectator, make an occasional pass.  Evolution... not end.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »
No argument with simplicity. I ran a stock block SBC ,stack injected setup on Methanol. The first year was dry. Freeze plugs were installed . We ran an immersion type heater in the oil pan. After consulting with a much smarter and experienced racer I installed 2 block heaters. One in each side. The engine loved the heat soak. It had more power and showed less fuel in the oil. The engine is now with another racer but if I were to do it again I would go with the water. We ran a fully filled Dart iron block with a blower combination and it always ran stronger after a run or 2. Methanol loves a warm engine. My 2 cents. George