Author Topic: Proper Slick storage  (Read 4122 times)

Offline MikenMpls

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 408 dart little m block and Iron Eagle heads
  • Your Track: Cameron, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 205" FED
Proper Slick storage
« on: August 13, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »
Jon, is it OK to store the car with the slicks on the ground for long periods of time (months, Winter etc)? What would be the best way to keep the tires in good condition and the car properly supported? thanks!

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: Proper Slick storage
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 08:50:37 PM »
I store my car on the warm up stands anytime the car is not in transport to or from the track or ready to go down the track.

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »
Mine too lives on warm up stands, usually with the slicks off and on the ground (small shop, the walk around space is nice. :) )
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
I agree, warm-up stands and we take the wheels/tires off the car for Greg's reason small shop. I would suggest the same advice for those racers that keep their cars in the trailer for the winter, don't need to take the tires off if you will race again in a month or two.
For longer term storage I suggest putting the slicks in a plastic bag [ big] and store in a cool dark place. DON'T store in the attic, unless you want the tires to get smaller, like some of the Pro-Stock guys do, because they want them smaller. And the compounds will get harder too. They have been known to store in the hot attic for 3-9 months.
My Hayden wheels and tires are stored in my concrete bolck shop with no windows and the temp stays very close to 75°, even when it's 100° outside.
I think if you don't get the tires off the floor the slicks may take a set with the sidewall wrinkles, and may get cracks too.

Jon, 800-624-3803
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »
I agree 100% that keeping
 ANY race car tire off the floor is the only way to go--I have been racing 40 years --have melted enough slicks to build my personal offshore fishing reef you must store off the floor
even the fronts--they are skinny nylon and will flat spot faster than a cat will lick his %$#
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:26:21 PM »
If my car is in the shop, then it’s up on stands. I also cover my tires while in the shop because my lighting is by fluorescent fixtures, along with several machine tools with electric motors. Here’s a quote from the Goodyear "Aircraft Tire and Maintenance" manual, page 12:

“Ideally, both new and retreaded tires and tubes should be stored in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. Temperatures should be between 32°F (0°C) and 85°F (30°C). Particular care should be taken to store tires away from fluorescent lights, electric motors, battery chargers, electric welding equipment, electric generators and similar equipment. These items create ozone, which has a deteriorating effect on rubber.”

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »
just got two new wheel covers just to cover tires in shop.Was going to order later but figured can't hurt to have covered in shop since always fabricating something.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot