Drag Racing Discussions > Tow Vehicles

Towing in the pits

(1/4) > >>

Guido:
Just wondering if anyone uses a push bar with a golf cart instead of towing back with a strap? We have had a couple incadents with a strap and was thinking about making a push bar instead.

racerken:
Never had an issue towing.  We use a strap to tow back to the pits after a run.  However, we do use a push bar and golf cart to push to the staging lanes. Just because that is the way they did it back then.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:
Lots of fast "Shootout" door cars around here use a bar about six feet long from the rear of race car to front of tow vehicle, be it golf cart, ATV, etc. I don't know if by "pushbar" you mean that or the rear bumper type found on old drag cars, when one used to be mandated.
One suggestion - if you do push, make sure there is still a towing socket device on the front of the car. That way if you have some sort of on-track incident the car can be towed off the track quickly by track personnel. Sometimes track workers are more concerned with keeping a green track than not doing damage to your disabled race car.

tony1966:
I started with a strap but made a push bar that pins to the car and my atv on the other end. I like it alot. I can control the atv driver with the brake if needed and no more dragging strap or jerky starts. Don’t count on backing up around corners though.

Tony

noslin:
great question, im debating both myself.  as mentioned the fast door car crowd likes the push bar setup.  i like the idea of smooth starts versus getting jerked etc. also, you dont have those blind people in staging lanes trippin over the tow strap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version