Author Topic: nitro and high gear only pg  (Read 2874 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
nitro and high gear only pg
« on: November 15, 2018, 07:41:43 AM »
Spud,

Will a heavy load say 80 plus and high gear,with new converter  of coarse work. Looking at getting a bigger pump 11.--(a?fuel legal)? Motor parts I am not concerned about should be plenty strong. Also rear gear higher help[? 4.11 currant. Ignition wise have msd mag12 and a 20 so should be good there. Wondering how well pg leaving in  high will load motor. MY pg has 1.69 low and also has hi/lo VB so can leave in high off brake.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: nitro and high gear only pg
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
I am not sure what the Nitro will think of it but some friends ran a big HP BAE w/14-71 in there FED and tried the High gear launch for couple seasons ran 6.60 at 218 or something like that but had issues smoking the converter like burning the paint off and destroying them.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:23:56 PM »
 Greg at FTI assures me if I hurt it he will fix it.He don't know me very well.If they make it I can and normally do break it. Hey 200 bucks and its covered for life their deal,I just make good use of it. More wondering about the engine liking it. I know a glide clutch would work with full load,but want to make this deal work for lots of different venues with as little changes as possible.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »

Leaving in high gear will definitely load it good, but your 60's will be crap. It's hard on tranny fluid and converters too. Instead of leaving in high gear with nitro, try some different rear gears. The best of both worlds...more load and a good 60 while using the tranny low gear.

Some 2.91's will load it good :)

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:19:27 PM »
I saw a Strange third member on ITA Facebook page with a set of 2.91’s in it.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 11:51:36 PM »
Have two other aluminum center sections.One is 3.90 and other 4.30 till I see what car wants. Could set one up for taller gear later.Not sure how much extra 80% plus will add to currant combo.Was thinking with 1000 to 110 base it should be pretty stout .With 2.91 gear  and 1.69 lowI would only be .6 higher than 4.30 and high. Guess could go little lower .will see its just research for little while,but I know me. small percentage is just bait to pull me in and before long it will be two combo car.One alky for brackets and one for big dose of go juice. Just getting some ideas together and list of look for deals on parts.

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
No, no and He'll no. Get it together like it is. Run it and see what it needs, you will have to make changes but you need a starting point. Just run it now.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
yes, yes and xxxx yes. It will get to track,has nothing to do with researching future project now. Already been fired off on 30% load because was bored one weekend. Plus have deal on A/fuel legal pump thats hard to pass on,so I am researching few things.

Not being butt. Getting  little tired of having folks telling me just get car on track.  I go prepared with best parts and as much info as can get and car set on fly or fry. I have always had fast and competitive cars. I don't go to track unprepared in anyway If can avoid. If there is something I feel car needs to be a max performance that's what car gets, if it delays first run so be it.  Just like changing delay box. Did it have to be to test nope,but it was going to be changed so might as well do so from start.  New aluminum hi/lo valve body not a must but at 4 lbs less and .015 quicker react I felt old guy in seat probably needed it. FTI having black friday sale didn't hurt(well maybe) and 120 off,so its on the way.  I joke my fans expect me to be quick.Fact is that after how we ran funny there are few who do expect me to be quick and number one is me.

Working on trailer deal to get car there,just not going to settle for something below my standard so I can get there sooner. Might as well gather info to story in memory bank so when needed at track it will be there.