Author Topic: Another VW gasser  (Read 12784 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Another VW gasser
« on: June 20, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »
My friend Bill Vilneff who gave me the VW body after he found an earlier one has finished his car and will debut it tomorrow at Historic Picton Airfield. Powered by a 383 chevy with a turbo 350 trans pushing a spooled 10 bolt rear it has that classic high stance from back in the day. He is a bit nervous which is understandable but will make a few very soft passes till he is sure all is well. The drivetrain is already a proven combo having powered his 64 chevelle racer car for many years so there should be no issues there as it was a very good working car and absolutely nothing has been changed except Bill built a proper set of fenderwell headers for the bug. car uses a narrowed handi van front axle with parallel leafs steered by the VW original steering box but set up for cross steering. Bill opted this time for the old finish which surprised me since all his other cars are show quality finish. He really wanted this one to have the "back in the day " look. His wife Rita standing beside him was a great encouragement and stepped up with her sewing skills to do the cars minimal upholstery. Also an accomplished  artist she hand lettered the car where Bill asked. This photo was taken back in May.
don
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:00:51 PM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Another VW gasser
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »
I would be afraid of the short wheel base.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:39:54 AM »
Not I. When properly set up they handle like  dream. Longer then an Anglia or a Prefect or an Austin and just a couple of inches shy of an early Willys. I am more concerend about the lack of Wheelie bars. I think Bill built it at 98 inch Wheelbase . 96 is stock for a BUG.
I am taking my video camera so we shall see.  I would have built it lower but it isn't mine so? Bill is one of my former students when I taught in the provincial institute of trades program. We have been friends ever since. He is a very very good welder having worked many years as an industrial welder both in stainless and steel. In his 40s he bought a garage business and served his apprenticeship. He and his wife Rita run a small ma and pa repair shop in Keene Ontario which would be the envy of anyone. It looks like a 1930s garage. You may have met them before as they have been to Empire with the ONDR  group but Bill would have had is Chevelle.
don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »
After some test runs and a bit of tire pressure adjustment Bill made some passes. The one I saw was a full on all out race and the bug did itself proud winning handily. It ran as straight as a car can run with no issues. Later in the day it developed a lifter problem but all in all for first day out of the box it was a complete thumbs up. It also picked up a trophy handed out by one of three old salts from back in the day. The track supplies these old racers with a trophy with their name on it IE Beezers pick  and they hand it out to the car they feel is most deserving and then report the car number to the track officials. The crowd really loved the Bug.
don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »
I am putting together an experimental engine (slant six) for this car. I am kinda out on a limb with it as it appears no one has tried it with this engine. This is what I call a Dixie Cup Engine. Potential throw away. Built with low cost parts  use them to explore if an idea has any potential.  I never sell them but if they survive the test the good stuff gets substituted and it becomes my main piece. That said in 40 years all my Dixie cups have survived how ever this may be different. I may have pushed the envelope a bit hard. Anyway I am putting it together Saturday now that all machining is done and parts are here.
Block is .100" over and compression is much higher then I normally run. Pictures after Sat.
don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 12:25:08 PM »

I put the crank bearing and pistons in the experimental today. Looks like it will work well.
After .008" was cleaned from the deck actual Accidental deck height is -.050"
Stock slant six is -.140" (when I say - I mean down the hole at TDC)under NHRA stock specs minimum. Production is always more. Occasionally much more. with the piston .090" higher in the bore even with the mild dish in the piston, coupled with the .100" over bore , compression ratio is smartly improved , cubes is now 237 cubic inches instead of 225. Compression is still in a range that can use good Hi test fuel. (We have 94 available here in places) Since the slant six cannot not stand too the moon RPM with its 4.12" stroke cam duration which is what determines RPM of peak power is not that high. Since duration has a large effect on Compression ratio needed (Nothing happens till the intake valve closes at the beginning of the compression stroke) The need for extreme compression in this engine is more imaginary then necessary and a build like this has good potential to be a great performer.
don
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:30:37 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:32:53 PM »
Back at the Green VW.
Over the last month he took the 383 stroker short block out and did a 355 for it. At my coaching he removed a lot of the shiny stuff and made a good solid serious bracket short block. Over the weekend he took the car to the Ottawa track and came home with second place money. got treed on his last run of the day or he would have had a first. He called to tell me.  Said he is still pinching himself. Said the car was very popular at the track. We have heard from some who were there on our Ontario Rodders board. The fellow said the crowd loved the little bug gasser and he said it was just flying. He also said he had taken some phone video but didn't know how to download it to a computer. Hopefully that will happen but whatever the case Bill is about as excited as I have ever seen him.
don

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:23:57 PM »
Back at the Green VW.
Over the last month he took the 383 stroker short block out and did a 355 for it. At my coaching he removed a lot of the shiny stuff and made a good solid serious bracket short block. Over the weekend he took the car to the Ottawa track and came home with second place money. got treed on his last run of the day or he would have had a first. He called to tell me.  Said he is still pinching himself. Said the car was very popular at the track. We have heard from some who were there on our Ontario Rodders board. The fellow said the crowd loved the little bug gasser and he said it was just flying. He also said he had taken some phone video but didn't know how to download it to a computer. Hopefully that will happen but whatever the case Bill is about as excited as I have ever seen him.
don

If you can post the video if he gets it downloaded. Tell him to joint this board.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »
He is not having much luck with transferring the video. He said he will find someone who can do it for him so we will just have to be patient I guess.
don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 06:05:16 AM »
My friends Bill and Rita Vilneff took their VW Chev V8 powered gasser to the Ottawa ONDR race. Bill came home with a second. He had just put together a more traditional 355 short block rather then his usual 383 stroker and was trying it out. Word is it is a go.  Hardest part of running this car is putting his race face on. Says it is difficult when you are grinning from ear to ear. Crowd ie spectators love the car. So does Bill. Says it is the most fun car to run he ever had.
They gave me this photo from the Otttawa race to use. More coming. To the left you see the Hilborn injected BB Chev rail of my nemesis Pat Doornbos and you can just see the blower of Mo's Poncho rail behind the VW. I run with these guys at the great Picton Airfield races. Next one Sept 20BTW

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:10:49 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »
I cam across this VW at Norwalk but I do not think you would call it a gasser
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 12:04:45 PM »
People who build stuff like that are a gift to us all. Outside the box? No. More like "What box?" And like many it is not something I would aspire to but it is never the less well executed and not cookie cutter.
Finished the engine for my Bug today. Don't know how that happened . I wasn't even planning to build it this year but it just came together. Expect about 270 hp at about 5700. Bill weighed his and it came up at 2237lbs without driver. Mine should be close, perhaps a bit lighter.
don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »
Was beating on mine this week. Motor is done. Intake and headers are installed in the car. Here it is awaiting.
don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
I started recurving my distributor this week. Still have to go very easy as I am still hurting form the accident. My brother stopped by and did a couple of things for me at floor level that I cant do at the moment.
don