Author Topic: trans cooler heat  (Read 3294 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
trans cooler heat
« on: October 07, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »
 Have seen some of the guys with coolers mounted above trans. Wondering how much heat it adds to cockpit.

Was thinking about mounting one out front,One hate look.Two  lots of plumbing to get there which adds weight and more chance of leak causing me to be shut down or worse wad car up.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - Humboldt County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Canode 225" Ex-Nostalgia Top Fueler
  • General Location: Midwest
Re: trans cooler heat
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 03:27:15 PM »
Personally, I would never mount a transmission cooler inside of the cockpit.  I think that is not allowed in a door car.  Just think if it burst, or a line broke.  I have seen plenty mounted out front.  I have also seen them mounted behind the seat, under the parachute.  I think that is the safest location for it.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:  1997 Hal Canode 225" FED

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 02:06:25 AM »
Ya, I don't think the cockpit is a good idea either that's a RED thing. I'm pretty sure the heat would be next to unbearable.
When I bracket raced mine on a 80+ degree day you wanted your firesuit on after the third round because the cockpit was so hot just from making laps. I would put a fan in there and cool it down the best I could.
I had an extruded aluminum cooler mounted on the frame just ahead of the starter. No fan on it but I wasn't on the converter very long because of the SLE.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »
Chris do you really even need a cooler ? I took mine off a long time ago . If I need to I put a fan on mine !

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
I agree with Bill, why do you think you need a trans cooler at all ?
I see very few FED dragsters with coolers, SuperComp with over 50 cars when they run round robin, yes, but nostaliga dragsters don't run round robin.
No JrFuel teams run coolers, or NE-1-2-3, OR 7.0 Pro.
It's just extra weight and makes it simple , and they allow us enough time between rounds to allow the trans to cool.
Only once in 15 years did we even put a fan on the trans, it was in Vegas GoodGuys race where it was 120+° air temp.

Good Luck with your combo.
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 02:22:56 PM »
After weekend at Big Money race watching guys dbl enter and go 9 rounds of racing .Some where still dbl at 8 cars. So Hot lapping is not even word for it. I can see where excessive heat in everything could be issue.. Cooling motor I can handle with fuel system and richening valve I have plumbed it. I have quick oil change deal setup also that I could use in earlier rounds say mid way thru.

Now running event where plenty of time to let it cool or throw fan on it between rounds as I could during early rounds,no its not needed. Regardless what lts think this car is going to go rounds when run at bracket races. Mainly because I am determined ( wife calls stubborn) and there is really no good reason a FED can't be just as consistent as RED with cushy ride. Main reason for build other than FED's are Bada$$ , was to run in brackets and win while doing so. Covering all bases for consistency and temps is part of it. Going to need .00_ to .01_ package to win races,just the hard facts.

So in jut shell Do I have to have it? Probably not for while. Is there chance it could help keep trans temps consistent and that help win yes. WIth items I have it cost about 50 bucks(about 1/2 of nice dinner out for us). Plus its not holding anything else up while waiting to get stuff for trailer build. Ok it is adding weight but very little.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:25:43 PM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 06:43:48 AM »
Yes - I think one is useful for bracket racing.

No - I do not think it should be inside the cockpit.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »
reading thru cpl or your post. I think I am going with fan under bell housing that will blow around converter and run it after run for initial runs and see how much heat trans builds. I have temp sensor in pan and one in trans at high pressure tap that I can switch back and fourth to and see how much heat and what difference is. If looks like cooler is a diffinet need I have everything sitting here and ready to pop in. Figure cpl test and tune sessions and trying to get as many runs as can will be good indicator.