Author Topic: Inline 6 in FED?  (Read 28740 times)

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
Inline 6 in FED?
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
My original plan was a 300 Ford six in mine but I had all the stuff for the V8!  I have a short block but no head I was told to use a 240 head but me finding one would be like me hitting the lottery :o  Any body on here run a six I just think they sound kinda neat and the 300 has gob's of torque should run a long time shifting under 6 grand ::)

Randy

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Inline 6 in FED?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »
You should get with denverflatheader on this forum

http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=59

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:24:52 AM »
I'm posting this for Alan (denverflatheader)

Hi Glenn, could you take a look at this response.  Again, I don't know your policy, here is another vendor "AJPE."   If it's okay with you, it's okay with me if you just posted this response to Blind Mules question for me......   I'd post it if it's okay with you, but I'm not sure how to do it, or how it's going to transfer on the site, I've never done one like this before with the pictures in the verbiage.

Thank you for your time, Alan

I have posted this as it is not a dealer making the post, but a recommendation from a member, Glenn

Blind Mule - I think if you have the block, that's a good start.  I'd keep collecting parts to finish it.  Built properly, in the right chassis, injected it will easily run in the mid 9s, a little more work and your into the 8s, if you're really really smart, maybe even break into the 7s on big percent of nitro with 1st class ignition.  Pretty good for a mid-1960's engine block design.

My Ford 300 six was built by a friend (Wayne).  It does have the 240 head with the smaller combustion chamber versus the 300 head, they're all 12 port heads, although not a crossflow style.  He had ported the head and put in 1.94 & 1.60 ss valves, and crane al rockers.  The crankshaft is a commercial truck item which Ford upgraded to forged steel versus cast for the cars and F-150 trucks, has racing rods/pistons.  Hilborn does make an injection unit for this six, Wayne made my injection.  You already know the block has 7 mains.   

If you were interested in reducing the engine weight, there are some 12 port crossflow heads out there hiding in someones garage.  See ad below from Alan Johnson Performance Engineering.  His company made a drag race only head for the Ford 300 six cylinder about 10 years ago.  Today from AJPE, they are NOT AVAILABLE, I'm guessing due to low demand for this product.  I think complete the heads sold for around $13,500 ten years ago.  I do not know how many his company sold, I'm guessing it was around 15-20 units to break even on his design cost.  If you found one of these aluminum heads for your Ford six, you could really cut down your weigh, have larger intake valves and smaller combustion chamber than the 300 head, plus an excellent breather.  There are some cast steel "12 port crossflow" factory Ford heads out there too, and they are also rare.  I have only run across one of them in the Portland Oregon area one year ago.  It was for sale and the owner and I could not come to terms.  And if you really into these Ford 300 six, around 1980 Ford made a special high performance block, I've never seen one but of course they are stronger design and use better material for casting.  I'm sure the same guy who has the aluminum heads hiding in his garage also has these limited run high hp six cylinder blocks........  Any questions, please ask  DF     

AJPE web site linlk

http://www.alanjohnsonperformance.com/index.html

AJPE Cylinder Heads

Chrysler-Hemi / Top Fuel Stage I
Chrysler-Hemi / Top Fuel Stage II
Chrysler-Hemi / Alcohol Stage I
Chrysler-Hemi / Alcohol STG II
481x Billet Alcohol
481x Cast Supercharged Alcohol Heads
12 Degree S.B. Chevrolet Cylinder Heads
18 Degree S.B. Chevrolet Cylinder Heads
23 Degree S.B. Chevrolet Cylinder Heads
5.0" Pro-Stock Cylinder Heads

Chrysler-Hemi / Top Fuel Stage I

The Alan Johnson Performance Engineering billet Chrysler-Hemi cylinder heads have dominated Top Fuel Drag Racing in the 1990s. The product of countless hours of R&D, both in house and on the race track, these heads have supplied the performance to set records, win races, and clinch Championships. As the pioneer in 100% CNC ported billet heads, AJPE has enabled Top Fuel tuners to achieve much greater consistency, another benefit of the superior technology, materials and man-power incorporated at AJPE. Available either bare or fully assembled, machined for 2.375" x 2.000" valves. Please note that all AJPE Chrysler-Hemi cylinder heads must be used with an AJPE supercharger manifold. AJPE also offers complete repair service and support staff to serve you.

Standard Features Include:
100% CNC Porting
3/8" Dia. Rocker Dowels
9/16" Stud Holes
Enderle Down Nozzle Prep.
TFX Stud Holes
Intake Port O-Rings

Options Available at No Extra Cost:
1/2" Head Stud Inserts
3/8" or 11/32" Exhaust Guides
4.187", 4.250" or 4.310" Bore Size

Extra Cost Option Available:
Lightening
.051 Stainless O-Ring Wire

Part # 01A-001 Chrysler-Hemi Top Fuel Cylinder Heads STG I ~ Bare With Shoes

Includes:
(8) Standard Intake Seats(8) Standard Exhaust Seats
(8) Standard Intake Guides
(8) Standard Exhaust Guides
(16) Bronze Valve Guide Inserts
(8) Short Push Rod Tubes
(8) Long Push Rod Tubes
(8) Inner Head Stud Inserts
(8) Steel Exhaust Guide Shoes
(8) .051 O-Ring Wire
(8) Intake Port O-Rings
(8) Set Screws
(10) 3/8" Dowel Pins
(16) Spark Plug Tube O-Rings
(16) Guide Screws
(16) 9/16" Head Bolt Washer Inserts
(4) 3/8" Head Bolt Washer Inserts

Chrysler-Hemi / Top Fuel Stage II

The Alan Johnson Performance Engineering billet Chrysler-Hemi cylinder heads have dominated Top Fuel Drag Racing in the 1990s. The product of countless hours of R&D, both in house and on the race track, these heads have supplied the performance to set records, win races, and clinch Championships. As the pioneer in 100% CNC ported billet heads, AJPE has enabled Top Fuel tuners to achieve much greater consistency, another benefit of the superior technology, materials and man-power incorporated at AJPE. Available either bare or fully assembled, machined for 2.375" x 2.000" valves. Please note that all AJPE Chrysler-Hemi cylinder heads must be used with an AJPE supercharger manifold. AJPE also offers complete repair service and support staff to serve you.

Standard Features Include: Options Available at No Extra Cost:
100% CNC Porting
3/8" Dia. Rocker Dowels
9/16" Stud Holes
TFX Stud Holes
Intake Port O-Rings

1/2" Head Stud Inserts
3/8" or 11/32" Exhaust Guides

Extra Cost Option Available:
Lightening

Part # 01A-002 Chrysler-Hemi Top Fuel Cylinder Heads STG II ~ Bare with Shoes

Includes:
(8) Standard Intake Seats
(8) Standard Exhaust Seats
(8) Short Push Rod Tubes
(8) Long Push Rod Tubes
(8) Steel Exhaust Guide Shoes
(8) .051 O-Ring Wire
(8) Intake Port O-Rings
(8) Set Screws
(10) 3/8" Dowel Pins
(16) Guide Screws

Chrysler-Hemi / Alcohol Stage I

These cylinder heads are the dominant force in alcool racing. They are 100% CNC ported for exact duplication. With intake flow up to 540 CFM plus any combination of valve sizes, the possibilities are endless. They come either fully assembled or bare. Must be used with an AJPE supercharger manifold. They come with 2.375 x 2.00 valve sizes. Alan Johnson Performance Engineering also offers a complete repair service, and support staff to serve you.

Options Available:
Lightening
Head Stud Inserts
Bore Sizes 4,187, 4.250, 4,310
Exhaust Guide Sizes

Part # 01A-021 Chrysler-Hemi Alcohol Cylinder Heads STG I ~ Bare No Shoes

Includes:
(8) Short Push Rod Tubes
(8) Long Push Rod Tubes
(8) .051 O-Ring Wire
(8) Intake Port O-Rings
(8) Set Screws
(10) 3/8" Dowel Pins
(16) Guide Screws

Chrysler-Hemi / Alcohol STG II

These heads are machined from billet 6061 T-6 aluminum, and provide the same air flow characteristics as their Top Fuel cousins. They are the first choice of many Alcohol Dragster and Funny Car teams. They are also very popular with Drag Boats, A-Gas, Nostalgia, and truck and tractor pulling competitors. Must be used with an AJPE supercharger manifold. They are 100% CNC ported, and come fully machined, ready for assembly with 2.400" x 1.950" diameter valves.

Standard Features Include:
100% CNC Porting
3/8" Diameter. Rocker Dowels
9/16" Stud Holes
TFX Stud Holes
Intake Port O-Rings

1/2" Head Stud Inserts
3/8" or 11/32" Exhaust Valve Guides

Options Available at an Extra Charge:
Lightening

Part # 01A-022 Chrysler-Hemi Alcohol Cylinder Heads STG II ~ Bare No Shoes

Includes:
(8) Short Push Rod Tubes
(8) Long Push Rod Tubes
(8) .051 O-Ring Wire
(8) Intake Port O-Rings
(8) Set Screws
(10) 3/8" Dowel Pins
(16) Guide Screws

Chrysler-Hemi / 481x Billet Alcohol

The 481x is the most exciting power plant to appear in super-charged alcohol racing in years. Dyno and track testing is rapidly showing it to produce superior torque and horsepower. Combining "bullet proof" valvetrain, and ease of serviceability, these features add up to make it the obvious choice for the serious competitor. They are available fully machined and 100% CNC ported, with 2.400"x 1.910" valves, 72 cc chamber, and .051 stainless o-ring wire installed.

Valvetrain Features Include:
• Light weight, but strong, straight billet 7075 rockers with oversized shafts.
• One piece rocker mounting "girdle". The entire assembly is quickly and easily removed with 9 studs and nuts.
• Pushrod angularity is eliminated. The pushrods are straight in line with the lifters.
• Valve action follows camshaft design with no "lost motion".
• Short pushrods reduce weight, while integral guides incorporated into the heads limit pushrod flexing.

Serviceability Features Include:
• Cylinder Head / Manifold design allows removal of individual heads without disturbing the intake manifold and supercharger.
• Intake ports seal with o-rings.
• Front mounted magneto provides clearance for cylinder heads and supercharger drive belt.
• External mounted oil pump eases bottom end maintenance.

Part # 01B-001 A.J. 481x Billet Alcohol Cylinder Heads STG I ~ Without Girdles

Includes:
(8) Short Push Rod Tubes
(8) Intake Port O-Rings
(8) .051 O-Ring Wire
(10) Helicoils
(28) 1/2" Head bolt Washer Inserts

481x Cast Supercharged Alcohol Heads

Cast solid from 355 T-6 aluminum alloy, these heads were designed for the performance demanding competition found in IHRA Pro-Modified drag racing. These heads share all of the same innovative technology found in the Billet 481x versions. Standard features are 72cc chambers, 2.400" x 1.910" valves, intake o-rings and .051" stainless o-rings. They are available 100% CNC ported, fully machined and ready for assembly.

Part # 01B-021 A.J. 481x Cast Alcohol Cylinder Heads STG I ~ Without Girdles

Includes:
(8) Standard Intake Seats (8) Standard Exhaust Seats
(8) Standard Intake Guides (8) Standard Exhaust Guides
(16) Bronze Valve Guide Inserts (8) .051 O-Ring Wire
(10) Helicoils (16) 481x Pro-Mod Intake Port O-Rings
(8) Intake Spacers with Hardware & O-Rings (4) 3/8" Head Bolt Washer Inserts

12 Degree S.B. Chevrolet Cylinder Heads

Alan Johnson Performance Engineering 12 degree cylinder heads for 410 Outlaw Sprint and Late Model applications. Our newest design for large cubic inch S.B. Chevrolet, the heads feature substantially raised intake ports to provide increased horse power and torque. Valve sizes are 2.200" x 1.580", with spacing optimized for 4.125" and larger bores. Standard 36cc chambers out of the box allow high compression ratios with flat top pistons. 100% CNC porting and machining guarantees the finest quality and accuracy in every cylinder head Alan Johnson Performance Engineering sells. These heads come fully machined and ready for assembly.

Part # 01C-003 Small Block Chevrolet 12 Degree Cylinder Heads ~ Bare

Includes:
(8) Standard Intake Seats (8) Standard Exhaust Seats
(8) Standard Intake Guides (8) Standard Exhaust Guides
(10) Helicoils

18 Degree S.B. Chevrolet Cylinder Heads

Alan Johnson Performance Engineering 18 degree cylinder heads for 410 Outlaw Sprint and Late Models. Entirely new castings of specially heat treated 355 alloy have substantially increased water jacket volume, to aid cooling efficiency and reduce weight, while eliminating cracking and porosity problems common with other heads on the market. Superior raised intake port design provides high velocity, and air flow, with moderate port volume and cross sectional area. 100% CNC porting ensures the highest accuracy and consistency. Fully machined and ready for assembly with 2.180" x 1.600" valves. These heads have 53cc chambers as shipped.

Standard Options at No Charge:
Rev Kit Machining
Exhaust Flange Lightening
Down Nozzles Machined

1.625" Exhaust Valve & Corresponding
Port Enlargement
2.200" Intake Valve

Part # 01C-009 Small Block Chevy 18 Degree Cylinder Heads ~ Bare

Includes:
(10) Helicoils

23 Degree S.B. Chevrolet Cylinder Heads

Alan Johnson Performance Engineering 23 degree style cylinder heads for 360 Sprint and Late Model applications. The latest technology in raised intake and exhaust port design makes these the most advanced 23 degree style cylinder heads yet! CNC technology combined with unique port configuration deliver superior flow characteristics, while maintaining a very conservative cross sectional area. These heads share the same casting as their 12 and 18 degree bigger brothers with the same improvements over competing cylinder heads already on the market. Specially designed for cylinder bores in the the 4.00" to 4.060" range, with valve sizes of 2.150" x 1.525". With chamber volume set at 54cc, they come completely machined and ready for assembly out of the box.

Machine for Down Nozzles.

Part # 01C-014 Small Block Chevy 23 Degree Cylinder Heads ~ Bare

Includes:
(10) Helicoils

5.0" Pro-Stock Cylinder Heads
Alan Johnson Performance Engineering 5.0" bore center Pro-Stock cylinder heads designed for large cubic inch engines. These heads bring AJPE's famous CNC technology to the "mountain motors" used in IHRA Pro-Stock, Fastest Street car competition, and truck and tractor pulling. Valve sizes are 2.600" x 1.925", configured to fit 4.750" to 4.800" cylinder bores. Extensive R & D has allowed us to develop a superior port design, with the flow and velocity necessary for optimum horse power and torque production. A newly redesigned casting of 355 alloy eliminates problems of porosity and cracking common in this type of cylinder head. 100% CNC porting and machining ensures the utmost accuracy, while reducing the amount of preparation normally needed for this class of cylinder head. These heads come fully machined with one piece rocker mounting bars of 7075 billet provided with each set.

Part # 01D-001 5.0" Pro-Stock Cast Cylinder Heads

Includes:
(8) Standard Intake Seats - Copper Alloy
(8) Standard Exhaust Seats - Copper Alloy
(28) 7/16" Head Bolt Washer Inserts
(2) Billet 7075-T6 Girdle Plates
(32) 5/16" Rocker Stand Hold Down Stud
(16) 7/16 x 1" 12 Point Bolts
(1) -12 Water Fitting
(1) Water Inlet Plug Broched
(32) 5/16" 12 Point Nuts

I have posted this as it is not a dealer making the post, but a recommendation from a member
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:08:09 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Kjula Raceway
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
Just had to post this;)!
A good friend from Sweden, did low 9 sec. ET's!

Kjell

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »
The Ford inline six from Virden Illinois has run into the low 8s in a FED. I haven't seen it out in a while. Hendricks is the name. Jeff maybe.

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:57:56 PM »
Wow that's a nice head but I would have more in it than my house and I sure can't live in it ;D Actually I just want to build a mild motor with most stock type parts but a cam change intake headers and alky carb set up with a glide! Just something to play with and maybe turn on a win light ??? I have V8 stuff but just wanna be different (STUPID is more like it :-[)

Any body have a spare head laying around (Stock240 or 300)?

Thanks
   Randy!

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
Yeah, the Hendrick's six banger has run good numbers over the years.  There were a couple of others that used to run at MAR and a couple of other midwest tracks.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »
Randy – Thanks for posting question.  Enjoyed sharing little bit of info on that Ford 300.  For me, when I’m looking for a part, I can call every car guy I know,  I can go to every swap meet  in a 100 mile radius, I can look on the internet, and for the most part strike out each time.  A month later when I’ve lost interest, yep, every time I turn around there it is……  I guess I’m trying to say a 240 head with your name on it is out there, or actually, probably about 4 or 5 of them.  Don’t say I didn’t warn ya!  For choosing different path, most of us think just like you (not stupid) it like climbing up mountain, it’s no fun following, you want to make it up on your own.  DF

Sidewinder - thanks for posting pictures - does your friend run straight alky or ?         

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 06:47:43 PM »
Yep that be my luck ;D

Randy!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
Yep that be my luck ;D

Randy!

Just for the grinds of it I did a search of e-bay and what do I find but a complete 240 6cyl ford motor witha buy it now for $400.00

would you like the link?

well here it is

For your consideration is an original 240 6 cyl engine out of a 65 Ford

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-74-75-76-FORD-PICKUP-TRUCK-240-6CYL-MOTOR-ENGINE-/140676773664?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c0fd3720&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:03:37 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »
Thanks Glen ;)

Randy!

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 04:05:29 AM »
Wasn't there a 6 banger back in the day that somebody cut up a pair of Cleavland heads and got them on?
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline Larry Gocha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 06:36:36 AM »
Try Steve Ambrose that runs comp elim he may be able to help

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 12:20:48 PM »
Wasn't there a 6 banger back in the day that somebody cut up a pair of Cleavland heads and got them on?

I think you will find one on the Hendricks car. ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:46:54 PM by George »

Offline FordComp

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.20
  • Your Track: BIR
  • Your Vehicle: Parks FED
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
HI
We run one, what do you need to know??  Ours is the AJ billet head that is mentioned above in a parks chassis with a 5 speed running e/d in comp. 

Pat