Author Topic: Injected FED's launch rpm  (Read 7932 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Injected FED's launch rpm
« on: August 29, 2018, 05:34:59 AM »
 About ready to get some hits in,once can get car to track. As with all its guess or swag figuring where to start with tune up. Fuel I think I know where I am at,thats a swag. FED tuning is new. Now if it where blown hemi with 14-71 or screw blower  and hays 6 finger clutch I would be set to go. 6000 and let rip. Launching FED with PG is little different.LOL Wondering what some of you are launching at. I know it runs up to stall and thats not changable,well not with chip or foot. Please give little combo info with reply.

I'm guessing 3500 to 4000 chip in two step And use foot to keep just below till second bulb has been on while.
Combo is 225 ",1.69 low,4.10 rear,526 hemi about 1050 hp and god help me no blower,first car in 25 years w/o one.
 Oh 15x15x32 M/T tires. Yes I do have wheelie bars and plan to use them.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
Re: Injected FED's launch rpm
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
holy moly...1050hp. impossible to make with our little s/c 350 buick. lol.
with our 50 yr old Gilmore chassis, p/g, 4.10's and 33x10.5-15's we launch at 3600. tried 4k and the chassis just tweaks all over the place. looks real ugly doing it.
we are knocking on the 8'er door. 9.02 & 147 so far.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 04:43:07 PM »
hope my 6 yo never run down track tube behaves better.LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:52:46 AM »
I"ve heard stall minus 500 RPM is most aggressive launch.  I leave about 5000-5200RPM, converter stalls at 6200.  I use RPM to tune my lights.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
well 6000  means non aggressive with 6600 stall?

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »
I would think it is gonna flash and leave pretty hard if leaving @ 6000
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
6000 statement was more of joke. But I did use to leave when I felt motor load against converter in my old nova and had 6000 stall in it.

Said using rpm to adjust for lights.I take it you are not running full tree and top bulbing with delay box. I have SLE hooked up,but don;t like how it goes WOT on second bulb and runs up on 2 step. Working on getting driver where can hit throttle between second and 3rd bulb and maybe tickle 2 step or avoid all together. Hard teaching old dog these new tricks.

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »
We race on a .4 Pro tree.  i too have a SLE.  When we are both in, my foot goes to the wood, blades crack, to around 5000rpm, and the SLE opens with the brake release.

Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »
Sweet pic Greg,  I think I might know the guy in the blue dragster behind you in the staging lanes... Wow I think the hardest part is going to be finding the right air pressure in the 15" wide slicks and not setting the wheelie bar too high. We worked with 14 x 32 slicks for some time and could only run 5 to 5.5 psi in them or it would dead hook and put the wheelie bar to the test. We changed to a 33 x 10.5w M/T with no tubes and shaved like 20 lbs per side and the dragster picked up a bunch in the 60'. It was a 565 BBC injected alky deal. Good luck and most of all have Good Times. Like Greg said the launch rpm effected the RT more than anything and he has way more passes than I have by a long shot.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 05:49:57 AM »
15x14x32 slicks might be more than need and as always with tuning time will tell especially the elapsed time. Going off bracket race theory of big tire loose converter equals consistent and that's equals win lights. Believe me tuning for consistent instead of balls to the wall at any parts cost is new deal for me. But if not for challenge and learning new what fun would life be? Plus got to show these bracket guys a race car can different,cool and win races.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »
The best tool I have used on my car and others for launch control is leave RPM--Lower and lower until car behaves and starts to leave right  High leave RPM on my injected car upsets things so bad that it ruins the run, may tire shake, fill in the blank______________________ Mine likes about 2500 RPM off footbrake
Now on my friends car when he went blown the reverse was true--when he used low leave RPM it was a nightmare --when he stalled the heck out of it --things turned around and started working like a charm
You have so much power that it is just going to be a few weeks or more before you find out what it likes
I would say less violent is way to go so lower, way lower than you think
Just my two cents worth--never had your kind of power--never will LOL
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 09:34:02 AM »
All in  perception I guess. I look at 1000 hp and think man this little thing is going to need some boost to get fun.Its like my Harley never gets enough power to suit. Then I thought well dragster made 3000 hp weighed 2000 lbs so a 750 lb harley needs about 1000 hp to get to same fun meter reading.

I think lower power car may have problem getting up on tire,so you have to go other way.As Dave said with high power cars(meaning blower  power) you have to hit it hard and get it up on the tire. This biggest thing we did with our TA/FC,but thats total different deal. I know Frank Parks said getting on tire was key to getting strong run w/o shake. I also know most Jr. fuel guys leave pretty hard,while smaller motors they are fairly stout power wise. Judging from numbers I would say most Jr. fuel guys are 800 hp or more and guessing more. Maybe Jon can chime in on this.

Dave maybe right about lower than I am thinking. My thoughts are 4500 maybe 5000 starting point,make moves in 500 increments till zeroing in on what works. Bad thing is around here T&T nights mean lots of street junk and lousy track,but if can get down junk track good track should be easy.LOL On my old RED with BBC,3 spd lenco and clutch I staged on shift light,to my understanding the starting line crew came to life 8000 and drop clutch,Yea what kind of idiot has 3 spd lenco in a bracket car? Don't try that at home and didn't work to well either.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:37:04 AM by wideopen231 »

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 08:12:17 AM »
We race on a .4 Pro tree.  i too have a SLE.  When we are both in, my foot goes to the wood, blades crack, to around 5000rpm, and the SLE opens with the brake release.

Almost exactly what I want on mine to do ,except want  it to work on full tree. Don't want it sitting there at 5000 dropping cylinder every other with BV wideopen and holding for 1 to 1.1 seconds.At 5000(2500 engine) that is about 3.5 to 4 gpm .  1 second doesn't sound like much to most,but look at a data download and how much crap happens in 1 second.

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 09:32:33 AM »
My stall is 6400 RPM and my two step is 4400.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 11:04:20 AM »
All in  perception I guess. I look at 1000 hp and think man this little thing is going to need some boost to get fun.Its like my Harley never gets enough power to suit. Then I thought well dragster made 3000 hp weighed 2000 lbs so a 750 lb harley needs about 1000 hp to get to same fun meter reading.

I think lower power car may have problem getting up on tire,so you have to go other way.As Dave said with high power cars(meaning blower  power) you have to hit it hard and get it up on the tire. This biggest thing we did with our TA/FC,but thats total different deal. I know Frank Parks said getting on tire was key to getting strong run w/o shake. I also know most Jr. fuel guys leave pretty hard,while smaller motors they are fairly stout power wise. Judging from numbers I would say most Jr. fuel guys are 800 hp or more and guessing more. Maybe Jon can chime in on this.

Dave maybe right about lower than I am thinking. My thoughts are 4500 maybe 5000 starting point,make moves in 500 increments till zeroing in on what works. Bad thing is around here T&T nights mean lots of street junk and lousy track,but if can get down junk track good track should be easy.LOL On my old RED with BBC,3 spd lenco and clutch I staged on shift light,to my understanding the starting line crew came to life 8000 and drop clutch,Yea what kind of idiot has 3 spd lenco in a bracket car? Don't try that at home and didn't work to well either.

I go test now on RACE night--I get two to three test runs on good track and first round on great track--and ..get lucky and strap one on somebody you get another free run so lots of incentive to nail them ! I NEVER go on T&T nights ever--good way to wreck your stuff  Kids in 4wd Pickups dropping rocks on track and AC drains --not me man
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development