Author Topic: don't get and and one thing I like about most everyone here  (Read 5032 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
don't get and and one thing I like about most everyone here
« on: August 23, 2018, 06:44:19 AM »
 . I don't get why someone would spend time and money to build race car and then not want to work on it much. Most of guys here are building or reworking their cars on consistent bases or so it seems. On another site guys seem to think if it ain't broke don't touch it. Heck iof not for working on,building,fabricating and the joy of that part I would not need a race car. I could build a show car thats rolled in and out of trailer and polished.

I guess getting old. I believe in the run what you built and then make it faster.Yes you can do so and still bracket race you just have to be smart as to when you make A change and be able to change back to original setup if it doesn't work. Guess thats why I always get someone come up and tell me. DUde you have to quite working so much you are making us lokk bad to wives.LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
Re: don't get and and one thing I like about most everyone here
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:19:08 AM »
Don't take title wrong. If you have race car and pay someone to build it and you show up and drive.Thats cool because you are still a racer. Just pointing out that the build is 90% of the fun IMO.

Ok legal disclaimer done.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:18:54 AM »
I enjoy working on mine, but being 45, owning a house, having a kid, and other hobbies, it cannot dominate my time like it did when i was 25, no kids, rental house, and a wife i hated to be around. 

It's all a balancing act.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 02:37:21 PM »
Our '57 was home?shop built. Worked on it for years to get it to run right and now, because we choose to run an index of 7.60, we primarily maintain the car.  Same can be said for the other cars we run out of our shop that we didn't build ourselves.

For the last two years, I have been spending much of my free time restoring an old 1981 Chevy C60 Toterhome with a 38' triple axel Chaparral trailer  that was given to us. It said to once belong to Larry Minor Racing. Pretty much having to do everything as it sat idle for some 10 years. Seems every time I go to buy something for it, it's $100 and the thought goes like, "why am I doing this?"

Here's a shot of one of our crew members Kevin applying some paint.

Offline opa1

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5:60 1/8
  • Your Engine: 355 Chevy Methanol Injected
  • Your Track: Alamo City Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 71 Ed Mabry Jr. Fuel
  • General Location: South Coast
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 02:46:41 PM »
Kool looking rig! I'm just getting started at FED's. I have had more than my share of door slammers. So always wanting to go faster is catching up with me. :) In reality I just want to compete at the 5.50 1/8 level at the moment. Not sure I'll get there with the current combo but, that's ok. More power coming soon!

I do all of my own work. Engine, trans, electrical, etc. Hands on for sure. BTW: I'm sixty and still pushing! 

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 08:32:46 PM »
Nice to have something that looks different from every other thing that shows up in the pitts.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 09:24:05 PM »
for me, i just cant see paying someone for something that i can do.  I look at it as, we are going to have 'x' amount of money and if we/I pay someone to do the work then thats less money for parts so it takes longer.  whatever the task at hand, it may not turn out as good but i can live with that.  I enjoy the build but while building i want it done so its tough to appreciate it but i guess the appreciation for the work you do is when you step back and say you did it and doesnt look to bad. now, if i had a lot of discretionary income then i would probably pay someone to do the work.

Dean

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 05:33:14 AM »
lot of income would just mean better equipment. I tell everyone WHEN I win the lottery I am going to have full blown engine machine shop,build every piece possible,build and dyno engines.Once I have every ounce of power out of that pieces  can been had its gone and build another bigger,stronger and faster.

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
I agree that the building/fabrication is 90% of the entertainment value. I got the SFI Spec, and built my chassis, narrowed the rear end, got everything aligned, did the sheet metal work, modified the fiberglass chute pack body, and then painted it. I also re-built the engine, changing over to aluminum rods and building the compression ratio that I wanted. I did have some highly qualified consultant help. Thanks to Foy Gilmore, Rooman. and the tech guys at Enderle who helped with the baseline tune-up. After a half dozen test hits we (my friend Brad Tidwell, aka Mongo) got it going straight and the last 3 passes were textbook straight runs.  4.90, 4,80, and the last one I think I kept my foot down all the way to the stripe LOL,  4.75 @ 146.  All our local racing is 1/8 mile. I don't know what I would do if not for the hobby.

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 04:47:17 AM »
I know people who have spent a bunch of money to build a nice dragster and then do not race it much. Complain it costs too much? Spend say $40,000 on a car then do not race it because it cost $400 to travel and race and they can win money? I do not get it.

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
The original thought was why would folks spend money and time to build a race car and not work on it much. It’s my belief there are a dozen responses; some good, some sad, and some poor. Not everyone is as talented as many folks on this board are so they have to reply on hiring outside help to give them assistance. Or maybe they are lazy or any other number of reasons. Same deal with folks that don’t want to travel, there are a dozen reasons; some good, some sad, and some poor. Not everyone has the “go for the jugular” attitude at every race in a 300 mile radius of home. Or again, maybe they are lazy or any other number of reasons.

My point is for whatever reasons folks chose to behave as they do, then as long as they continue to pay their cold hard cash to the racetracks and to the suppliers then all is good. In order for our sport to survive, for the racetracks to stay open, and for all the different suppliers that supply parts and services of all kinds to continue in operation, they must bring in revenue and stay in the green. I’m not one to look a gifted horse in the mouth if someone is willing to shell out the dollars that helps keep the sport afloat, even if they don’t work on the car much or travel a lot. Sometimes it’s not about understanding, but rather about acceptance.

Offline crider

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 03:49:12 PM »
While I don't have as much time to get out to the track and run the car as I would like to have, I will agree that the build is as much or more fun to me than the finished product

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »
I built my car as a mental health project--I did everything except the critical tig work
When I made that first pass-- and it was a beauty--I have never been so happy in my life.
I love planning, and thinking out an aspect of the car and then doing it, testing my ideas , refining etc
I love driving that car!!
But....I underestimated how much of a PIA it would be compared to all my old door cars that I could field three nights a week all by myself
I get out when the weather is perfect, my other work is done, and when I can enjoy it 100% otherwise she sits in my shop so I can walk by every day run my hand across the slick or the cowl and just whisper to her that I will get her out soon

I came to the feeling this year that if I could find it a good home and someone that wanted a turnkey car that I would entertain an offer   Times change --- we all should be on a continual path forward and sometimes that means making big decisions and going on to the next adventure but one thing is for sure
When I am in that rocking chair I will always have that feeling of driving a PURE drag car that was wicked fast, smelled like exotic fuel and never failed to make me smile for days   That part I always get to keep
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 12:12:19 PM »
dusterdave - well said.