Author Topic: vac pump or puke tank?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline xlr8

• View Profile
    • JEFF CHANDLER MATCO TOOLS
  • Your Best Time: 7.99 1/4 mile 166 mph
  • Your Engine: Pontiac Alcohol 428
  • Your Track: BARONA
  • Your Vehicle: 190" FED
  • General Location: west coast
vac pump or puke tank?
« on: July 31, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »
I know that evac pump kits have been discussed before, but I can't seem to find in the NHRA rulebook where puke tanks are mandated for specific FEDs. I have a 190" alky FED (no blower) with Ron's injection on a 7.50 cert chassis and 428 Pontiac.  If it isn't required to have the a hose coming off each valve cover going into a large puke tank, I will just run a evac pump off one valve cover and a breather tank. I hope to run NE3 or NE2 at some point. Any help with the rules here will be appreciated!
Jeff Chandler - Matco Tools
619-991-7845
xlr8jsc@cox.net

Offline jl7422

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Famoso
  • Your Vehicle: '69 dragster
Re: vac pump or puke tank?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 02:57:28 PM »
In the Nostalgia Eliminator classes no puke tank is required other than for water. Required in 7.0.   

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »
xlr8 – nhra rulebook in general regulations engine section 1:13 (page 304) mentions vent tubes “permitted” in all cars, “mandatory” in certain classes terminating into acceptable catch can. Two of the mandatory dragster classes are top fuel and top dragster. 

Just guessing the nhra’s decision is based on running a supercharger and/or fuel (e.g. nitro or methanol), and possibly the et/mph.  If you’re not in top fuel or top dragster, then the nhra rules permit or allow your decision to install vent tubes and catch can on your engine.  And if your engine has a supercharger and/or running fuel, probably a worthwhile investment to copy the nhra’s lead in this area.

For a listing of the 2018 nhra’s Accepted Vent Tubes/Hoses, see below and go to page 89.  You need to pay particular attention to your tube attachments, make doubly sure they're secure.  For catch can, the nhra rule 1:13 states minimum 1 gallon size.  Most of the catch cans I’ve seen made from aluminum.  Alan

http://promod.nhra.com/userfiles/file/NHRAAcceptedProducts.pdf

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 10:21:35 AM »
In my opinion, running a blower mandates a catch can.  I, for one, do not want to run over 2 gallons of my own oil, should i nip a piston.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »
Here is a photo of our puke tank, it is vented thru the alum tube welded into the bottom and inserted to the top, with the tube flush cut at the top, not contured to the top, that is how it vents thru the bottom. We have never had any oil leaking out as long as we empty the tank after every run. As you can see we also vent the water overflow into the tank, by using a fuel hi-speed can, so we can adjust the water pressure we want , mostly 5 lbs.
I hope my description is clear enough, if not call me 805-444-4489
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline xlr8

• View Profile
    • JEFF CHANDLER MATCO TOOLS
  • Your Best Time: 7.99 1/4 mile 166 mph
  • Your Engine: Pontiac Alcohol 428
  • Your Track: BARONA
  • Your Vehicle: 190" FED
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 03:18:34 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. So I think that I will run the GZ Motorsports vac pump setup (attached to one valve cover) that sends the exhaust from the pump into their breather tank (approximately 30 oz).  It looks like quality stuff.
Jeff Chandler - Matco Tools
619-991-7845
xlr8jsc@cox.net

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 05:05:51 AM »
The GZ Motorsports vacuum pump is a good one. Mine has lasted for many years with no issues. Only thing I would do different is get the Jones lower mandrel as it is adjustable and works better.