Author Topic: calming the car down on the starting line  (Read 21127 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: calming the car down on the starting line
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »
I have had good luck using my video camera--I  make sure it sees front end and my hands--I can replay a run and see if I was issue or car or track etc  Works great and --humbles you some--if not track surface it is usually me causing issue
It has helped me fine tune my driving
Just a thought
My car went through a spell where it went left--turns out if I hold wheel with a little preload to the right--and I mean a little--problem solved so......
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2018, 06:23:10 PM »
Just a thought and only because its hit me before. Are you sure its because your hitting it too hard. I have backed cars off and caused me problem. I know Crider will know what this means as he has driven TA/FC.You can drive a spinning car but you can't drive a shaking car. Just a thought that came to me while reading tru some of your post.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:42:34 PM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2018, 06:48:39 PM »
Question. Have you made hit with timing where it was when going straight? If not that would be my top of list thing to do. GOLDEN rule when all else fails go back to baseline of good runs. If you backed it off you mave be making power up higher but pulled good amount off bottom end. Just throwing ideas at you.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2018, 06:50:50 AM »
I was just looking at an old picture of my car back in the 70's ! Look at how the front wheels would turn to the right when the car would launch !

Offline crider

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2018, 12:00:21 PM »
That is a serious right turn there. Mine don't seem to be turning any, but then the car goes right with them on or off the ground. Hoping to go out one more time in a couple weeks and see if I can et it any better. It is at least to the point of being predictable, now I just need to keep it from pushing right. I picked up just over .2 with the timing change, I don't really want to go back with it...lol

Offline StigO

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6,48/210 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Gray DRCE3 500"
  • Your Track: Tierp Arena Sweden
  • Your Vehicle: Neil&Parks FED
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
Have you tried to dump the timing out for a short period just after the hit? If I don't do that on my car it get crazy and big tireshake.
Also have notice that it usually the left tire that start shake on my car. So instead of adding pressure in right tire lower the pressure in left tire to make it spin easier.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2018, 07:43:21 AM »
That is a serious right turn there. Mine don't seem to be turning any, but then the car goes right with them on or off the ground. Hoping to go out one more time in a couple weeks and see if I can et it any better. It is at least to the point of being predictable, now I just need to keep it from pushing right. I picked up just over .2 with the timing change, I don't really want to go back with it...lol
Mine would drive right all the way through first gear then settle down after the shift. Figured it out when I noticed both front tires were feathered the same way. I should have figured it out with how much I was steering it left to 300 feet or so. Probably needed another 20 or so pounds up front.