Author Topic: Beginner, novice trying to run a BBC with Hilborn injection  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
Re: Beginner, novice trying to run a BBC with Hilborn injection
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 09:51:12 AM »
Best, cheapest and quickest way to tune it is on the dyno assuming you have an operator that knows injection. They can get it right in just a few pulls if they know what they are doing.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »
My experience is best is dyno runs, but it is the most expensive unless you have a buddy that will let you have as many runs as you need to get a handle on your tune-up. Then you can send your dyno chart to your converter company to get your engine matched to your converter.
One thing I have learned is using the dyno tune-up at the track it will be on the fat side, mostly because the engine dyno loads the motor more.
Another issue is finding a dyno shop that will let you run alky, it is stinky, and they need an alky only  fuel tank. The best dyno shop will also let you run with zoomies instead of collector pipes.
With my 1'st SBC JrFuel combo I had Don Enriquez at Hilborn and Bob McKray [ ex Hilborn staff, and engine builder and tuner for Don Enriquez JF ] set up the combo, and learned from there.
With our early Hemi, Gene Adams set-up that combo, along with building the Hemi. Our last Heritage championship was with the Adams Hemi. About 3 years ago I had Kinsler build me a set of angle cut SBC injectors, to make injectors/stacks as short as possible for better hi-rpm hp. But I started with my Hilborn tune-up. ie same pump size, nozzles, by-passes, BV seting, of 18%.
As a riminder, Heritage JF rules are iron heads, iron block, under 410 ci [ new rule allows 430 ci] stack injectors on pure alky, and zoomies.
My advice , if you don't have a dyno buddy , is call, send your injectors for base line set-up to Spud, Gene Adams, or Hilborn. Not that other injector guys can't do a good job, but that's all I have used. i can't tell how many teams get lost on their tune-up , by getting off on an idea, and when I've told them to go back to their Adams base-line tune-up, they get better. BTW Don Enriquez is real good at giving phone advice , no matter what brand of injectors you have.
Call me if you have ???'s 805-444-4489
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
I second your comment on Don Enriquez.
When I first started running fuel injection I called Hilborn and ended up talking to Don.
Incredibly knowledgeable and patient, I learned a lot with that phone call.

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.70 1/8
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsport park
  • Your Vehicle: 225" slip joint FED
  • General Location: Houston
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 07:17:03 AM »
Thanks everyone what a wealth of knowledge.