Author Topic: Sportsman License....  (Read 4720 times)

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.638@140.65mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 327 small block
  • Your Track: Cecil County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: slingshot dragster
  • General Location: East coast
Sportsman License....
« on: June 20, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »
Well I have been attempting to improve my times every time I go to the strip, my last run a 9.8 in the quarter. The fellas at the strip told me I would have to tone it down due to not having my NHRA license so attempting to get that would seem to be the next logical step. I want to do this the correct way so I got in touch with a NHRA inspector and made an appointment with him on 7/9 to have my FED inspected. Until then I figured I could work on my hole shot in the 1/8th mile, try to improve my reaction times which is really in need of improvement as well as my launch technique. Question- Could I already start on getting my moderate runs, the first 4 runs to be signed off for my license, without having the car inspected yet? I could do the cockpit orientation test and try to get a jump on things.  Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I know this is going to take time and patience but if I did a moderate run that fit the bill and could get signed off that would be great.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Sportsman License....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »
Well I have been attempting to improve my times every time I go to the strip, my last run a 9.8 in the quarter. The fellas at the strip told me I would have to tone it down due to not having my NHRA license so attempting to get that would seem to be the next logical step. I want to do this the correct way so I got in touch with a NHRA inspector and made an appointment with him on 7/9 to have my FED inspected. Until then I figured I could work on my hole shot in the 1/8th mile, try to improve my reaction times which is really in need of improvement as well as my launch technique. Question- Could I already start on getting my moderate runs, the first 4 runs to be signed off for my license, without having the car inspected yet? I could do the cockpit orientation test and try to get a jump on things.  Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I know this is going to take time and patience but if I did a moderate run that fit the bill and could get signed off that would be great.

The track is who signs off on your passes (not necessarily someone from NHRA), if they have let you run in the passed they probable will let you run in the future.

I have heard a lot about cockpit orientation, never actually seen a check being done. That does not mean you should not be able to find your controls with your eyes shut.

Glenn Lever
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 08:52:25 PM »
When I did my NHRA licensing, first they inspected the car including chassis tag, safety equipment and general review, then I had to do the blind fold test, which is called the cockpit orientation test, fully suited and buckled in and you must exit the vehicle within 20 seconds, and from there do the prescribed passes as stated in the licensing form.

Also, 2 licensed drivers and a track official are required to sign-off for each pass made. Your full passes et's must be equal to or better than the minimum for class you are licensing for.

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »
You might want to contact your NHRA Divisional office and tell them what you're looking to do. They should be able to help you or refer you to the person that can answer your question. This is what I did a few years ago when I had questions about getting my new license and with their help things went a smoothly as they could.

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 07:21:32 AM »
Adding info to support Roger's comment (received this renewal email from nhra 2 months ago):

Thank you Alan for being a part of NHRA Championship Drag Racing!

Your NHRA Competition License has been processed.  You may print the attached PDF Temporary Competition License as proof of current NHRA License & NHRA Membership until your permanent card is received in the mail.  The permanent card can take a up to 3 weeks to arrive by mail; if your card is not received within the month please notify your division office.

Northeast Division 1
Dave Mohn - Division Director
2420 Gehman Road Suite 200, Lancaster Pa. 17602
p. (717) 584-1200  |  f. (717) 390-3052

Southeast Division 2
Rich Schaefer - Division Director
11223 N. County Road 225, Gainesville, Fl. 32609
p. (352) 374-9922  |  f. (352) 372-0418

North Central Division 3
Jeff Conley - Division Director
PO BOX 34300, Indianapolis, In. 46234
p. (317) 969-8890  |  f. (317) 291-4220

South Central Division 4
Trey Capps - Division Director
12959 Jupiter Road Suite 240, Dallas, Tx. 75238
p. (469) 248-0014  |  f. (469) 248-0024

West Central Division 5
Rob Park - Division Director
3720 Arrowhead Ave, Ste 103, Independence, Mo. 64057
p. (816) 795-8055  |  f. (816) 795-0515

Northwest Division 6
Matt Levonas - Division Director
8412 Myers Rd E #305, Bonney Lake, Wa. 98391
p. (253) 446-6594  |  f. (253) 446-6683

Pacific Division 7 & National Field Office
Mike Rice - Division Director
2035 Financial Way, Glendora, Ca. 91741
p. (626) 914-4761  |  f. (626) 914-8963

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 07:01:53 AM »
Well I have been attempting to improve my times every time I go to the strip, my last run a 9.8 in the quarter. The fellas at the strip told me I would have to tone it down due to not having my NHRA license so attempting to get that would seem to be the next logical step. I want to do this the correct way so I got in touch with a NHRA inspector and made an appointment with him on 7/9 to have my FED inspected. Until then I figured I could work on my hole shot in the 1/8th mile, try to improve my reaction times which is really in need of improvement as well as my launch technique. Question- Could I already start on getting my moderate runs, the first 4 runs to be signed off for my license, without having the car inspected yet? I could do the cockpit orientation test and try to get a jump on things.  Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I know this is going to take time and patience but if I did a moderate run that fit the bill and could get signed off that would be great.       Is the inspector Larry Wiggins ? He will be able to walk you through everything you have to do ! Larry is one of the best out there and a great guy ! I work with him at all of the divisional races ! Tell him Bill on the hill says hello !

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »
Yes it is Larry. ..I will let him know.

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »
Went to the track tonight and met some really nice racers....made my first 2 runs for my Sportsmans license and got them signed off. Also got my cockpit orientation signed off. Next Friday I hope to make another two passes and then finish up by the end of July. I am really starting to get use to this car now and actually look like I know what I am doing. My second hit I did a 9.893 and I even let off on it a bit during the run. I am going to have to figure out a way to tone it down on the next 2 passes into the 10s before I make my final runs....it is a bit hard to hold this thing back!!!

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »
Should be easy runnthe car out 300’ than coast next pass run it out half track do another to half track than make your full passes

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »
Made my last 2 runs at the track tonight to finish up my application for my NHRA license which I will mail in tomorrow. My 5th run I pulled a 9.769@139.57mph. I had my 2 step set to launch at 3600. For my last run I turned it up to 3800 and pulled my best time....9.638@140.65. Needless to say I am one happy camper and you got to admit....I am getting better. It is a long way from the 11.9 I started with. Now to put it up until I get a license number and do some preventative maintenance. I got a feeling this thing has a lot more to give to me but I just have to be cool till that license comes threw. Thanks to everyone on this forum who gave me advice and support...….and a special thanks to DusterDave!!!!!