Author Topic: Driving suit  (Read 5297 times)

Offline opa1

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5:60 1/8
  • Your Engine: 355 Chevy Methanol Injected
  • Your Track: Alamo City Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 71 Ed Mabry Jr. Fuel
  • General Location: South Coast
Driving suit
« on: June 10, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »
I was looking at the driver equipment needed for a FED in the NHRA rule book. Looks like I will need to buy a SFI 3.2A/15 suit. What are the best places to purchase the suit and other safety equipment I'll need?

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Driving suit
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 03:40:48 AM »
Biondo in NJ has the largest stock on the shelf of SFI-15 and SFI-20 suits   Sparco Brand  Great folks, easy exchange if wrong size, high quality lowest prices   or you can get in line for custom somewhere else and it is yours if it fits or not
Biondo  is the best
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline opa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 06:16:30 AM »
Biondo in NJ has the largest stock on the shelf of SFI-15 and SFI-20 suits   Sparco Brand  Great folks, easy exchange if wrong size, high quality lowest prices   or you can get in line for custom somewhere else and it is yours if it fits or not
Biondo  is the best

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:41:20 AM »
I would go ahead and get a -20 suit. Allows you to step up if wanted and half the time when getting recertified they drop down one level. Cost minimal difference.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 07:18:22 AM »
half the time when getting recertified they drop down one level. Cost minimal difference.

The only company I have heard that did this was Simpson are there more?? I know DJ Safety and Stroud do not

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 07:56:49 AM »
Most sanctioning bodies require a -15 suit if you run unblown and an open cockpit. Or if there is no firewall to separate you from the transmission. If plans are in the works to later put a puffer on the car, then the idea of buying a -20 suit, required by the sanctioning bodies and good sense, is a great idea. Something you might want to consider is just how hot your body can get in a fire suit, especially in your part of the country. After listening to Dave tell everyone here that Biondo had good prices and great products with their Sparco suits, I bought a Sparco AIR-15 two piece suit and couldn't be happier with it. While a little more expensive then some, it fits well and while my previous -15 suit felt like I was wrapped in 2 wool blankets then stuffed inside a wool sleeping bag, this new suit only feels like the wool sleeping bag without the blankets and that's a HUGE improvement:)

Offline opa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
Most sanctioning bodies require a -15 suit if you run unblown and an open cockpit. Or if there is no firewall to separate you from the transmission. If plans are in the works to later put a puffer on the car, then the idea of buying a -20 suit, required by the sanctioning bodies and good sense, is a great idea. Something you might want to consider is just how hot your body can get in a fire suit, especially in your part of the country. After listening to Dave tell everyone here that Biondo had good prices and great products with their Sparco suits, I bought a Sparco AIR-15 two piece suit and couldn't be happier with it. While a little more expensive then some, it fits well and while my previous -15 suit felt like I was wrapped in 2 wool blankets then stuffed inside a wool sleeping bag, this new suit only feels like the wool sleeping bag without the blankets and that's a HUGE improvement:)

The track temps here in the summer are brutal. 100's+ in the shade.

I checked out the Air X-Light. Looks like a good option.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:49:03 AM by opa1 »

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 01:08:39 PM »
I spent around 40 minutes strapped into the NT/F car at Bowling Green in 2010 with the temperature and humidity numbers both at almost 100. What saved me was the Carbon-X underwear and head sock. It tends to wick the moisture away from your skin and I was never that uncomfortable.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »
you guys in the mid west and back east have to deal with the humidity too. so your heat index could easily be 6 to 10 deg higher right?   on the west coast say at sacramento the humidity is prob 12 to maybe 20 percent.  here in redding its typically 8 to 12.  but still hot like 100-110 during summer.

good to know about the underwear.  i plan on running that too just to be safe.

Offline Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
Headed to the track outside Manhattan, Kansas this Saturday. Forecast says it will be 97* for a high and a heat index of 101*. That's about 40% humidity. And the wind will be blowing that hot air from the south at 15mph. And this is only the middle of June. It usually starts to get real hot here about the middle of July. Oh boy... By the way, this is the 52nd year of continuous operation of the drag-strip at Manhattan, now called Midwest Raceway, and the heat hasn't stopped us. This is where I saw my first race at 15 and have been hooked ever since. Got my baptism by nitro there when I stood at the fence about 40 feet from The Large Father making a match-race pass with John Weibe. Even managed the track for a summer, including halting time trials for 20 minutes while the cattle crossed the shutdown area then halted eliminations for another 20 minutes in the afternoon while the cattle cross back to the other side. Ya, I sent someone down to make sure the cows had cleared the track and to make sure the didn't leave any deposits:)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:20:48 PM by Roger »

Offline opa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
We had the cow problem at the old Alamo dragway too. Man. that was a long time ago. :)

Roger, did you get the jacket with built in arm restraints?

Offline Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 01:42:16 PM »
My old suit didn't have built-in arm restraints but my new suit does; built-in restraints are the only way to go. If a suit doesn't have them, you then have to buy a pair of restraints and buckle them on your arms...a pain in the butt. And 2 piece suits are great, the jacket comes off quickly after a run:)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 03:18:46 AM »
Another Vote for two piece--and yes the Sparcos have built in arm deal
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 10:46:13 AM »
For me the suits not issue with heats its the neck collar and close off heat release. Oce collar closes and brace goes on the heat builds up quick.Fire the car and I am fine,but I am ready to get out before chute settles.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot