Author Topic: Much Better....  (Read 3245 times)

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.638@140.65mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 327 small block
  • Your Track: Cecil County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: slingshot dragster
  • General Location: East coast
Much Better....
« on: May 23, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »
Well hit Cecil Dragway tonight for another try at this and did much better. My first run I did a 10.208@ 136.77mph, my 2nd run I did 10.522 at 131.01mph. On the 2nd run it got a little loose on me at about 300 feet and I had to let up but got back in it as soon as I straightened up. They also put me up against a funny car that did a 8.822 and took me to school, LOL. Well I am happy to have gotten into the low to mid 10s for only my 2nd try racing. My temp stayed down to about 210 on the first run but I overheated slightly on the second....it seems to be overheating on the return...not the run. I have got to figure out a way to keep the temp down on this thing but it is much better than it was. I guess I just got some more work to do on it. Got to give a special shout out to DusterDave who guided me and helped me get this far. One thing I can say is he knows his stuff, everything he told me was on the money.

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
Re: Much Better....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »
nice going, was it heads-up or handi-cap it's fun running someone that's faster it makes me cut a good light
did you have a chance to get your temp down between rounds ice down intake use a house or shop fan blowing air through the rad. jack the car for better air flow.
i staged at 200* and it was 230* in the traps.
it's fun just making nice clean passes, enjoy it

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 03:28:08 AM »
It was heads up...the way I like it. I let the engine cool to about 120 but by the time I got to the traps it was at 160....I think I am going to go with an upgraded water pump and radiator. I have a feeling this machine was home built by someone who did not have a lot of experience. Like I said, as a beginner I think I am off to a great start. One good thing is that it runs straight as an arrow and by getting loose on that one run it gave me a feel for what that is like and how to deal with it, which is a must know.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 07:49:22 AM »
Straight is good and quick,but little rearend wiggle dance is fun( for driver not car owner) too!  Then I spent 12 years tuning TA/FC's on IHRA tracks and straight was one in the 100 runs.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
I will be at Cecil County on June 9th to race wit the East coast fuelers ! Come over and say hello!

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 04:30:07 AM »
NICE!!! I would love to come and say hello except that I am stuck at work. I have a job that I work doubles every weekend and take M-F off. Nice schedule but I miss a lot of the weekend action. I wish you the best and would love to see some pics and hear your times. I live about 4 miles from Cecil dragway. I am sure the wife will be hearing the engines roar from the backyard!!!

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:14:27 AM »
Cooling systems have come along way since the last time we ran gas in our bracket car FED but when we did we had to tow our car back from a pass otherwise we would have overheated every pass