Author Topic: pump test bench ? spud  (Read 3043 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
pump test bench ? spud
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
 SPud,

May be a question you had rather not answer,since kind of dipping into your business. If so more than understand. I am working on a fuel pump testing set up. Nothing fancy just a way to keep up with pump.  I have good supply if fluid gauges from my Test and Balance business,been doing air and water flow testing most of my life.

I am thinking a simple setup with motor to spin pump at variable speeds,check pressures and compare to on regular bases. Will be using water since its just a comparative number and not actual flow number. I have some commercial flow measuring devices(circuit setters mostly with dial gauge) and will check flow at set pressure also again just comparative.

Any reason I will be fooling myself on results or suggestions as to how to make a more accurate design.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:50:25 AM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: pump test bench ? spud
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:39:01 AM »

Just checking a pump for comparative flow at a particular pressure isn't a huge deal (not like flowing a complete system).

The biggest problem you'll have is finding a motor and power source big enough to make the horsepower you need to do it. I burned up MANY motor controllers and motors (literally flames a couple of times). A -1 pump running at 100 PSI will require 2-3 HP at the spindle. A 110 pump @ 100 PSI will need 6-7 HP. To keep the power requirements low, consider checking at a slower RPM (not 4000 pump RPM) and a lower pressure (like 50 PSI, not 100).

Since flow is going to be directly related to speed, your RPM reading being off just a little will result in inaccurate flow readings. Conquer speed measurement and control up front or it probably isn't worth doing.

Try to stay away from 240VAC as you'll be working with water and probably standing in a puddle of it most of the time. If a hose blew and shot water everywhere, you could easily be electrocuted.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »
I think I will use my Bridgeport.Has 5 hp motor,up high and don't figure to be standing in water unless tank leaks(plans always work). Thinks for HP requirement tips save buying some useless junk.As for rpm I have cpl strobe tachs guaranteed to +/- 1% that I can use to check spindle speed. Thought about a belt or gear deal to spin pump up using less motor rpm.

Thinks Spud.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline cad500justin

• View Profile
    • Copper Cadillac Racing
  • Your Best Time: 8.24@164
  • Your Engine: 500" caddy
  • Your Track: sac/bako/sonoma
  • Your Vehicle: 208" fed
  • General Location: The Altamont
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 07:30:44 AM »
They make gfi breakers for hot tubs. They’re not cheap, but something to consider if water/electricity isn’t your thing.

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 05:01:19 PM »
Spud:
 What liquid do you use for flow testing?

Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 04:57:45 AM »
They make gfi breakers for hot tubs. They’re not cheap, but something to consider if water/electricity isn’t your thing.

Actually they are very cheap. I have electrician wiring a house in cpl weeks and pretty sure hime throwing a cpl GFI's in extra for the GC will not be a problem.LOL

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 05:01:44 AM »
Will have to run  230 volt. Just found a motor off a Test and Balance job in building that I had for gotten about 7.5HP and the cost of zero is perfect. Plus already have phase converter set up for mill and lathe. HAve that bad feeling about Chris going overboard again and this turning into full fledge flow bench st up even if little crude.Too many piece laying arounf for flow measuring and pressure testing to not be using. Dang I envy those with self control.LMAO

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
its my understanding, Spud flows with methanol.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com