Author Topic: purifying oil  (Read 3297 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
purifying oil
« on: April 29, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
 The guy I am helping with TA/D has a oil deal with redline oil. He change oil every pass and throw 14 qt. away well was. I have been getting it for last cpl races. Very little if any alcohol in it. I have filtered it and wondering best way to insure zero alky. Have not seen any signs of alky even after  sitting a month and half. Have heard heating it and letting alky evaporate removes it. Have stuff to do,but wondering if other or better way. Only have 35 gallons so far.LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
Re: purifying oil
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
We have used a big pot on a hot plate.
No open flame.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:04:01 PM by Frontenginedragsters »
Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:47:12 PM »
Yea Iwas expecting alky on bottom but after sitting did not see ANY. Just wanting to insure as best possible. After all even atg 56 bucks a  gallon and costing nothing its not cheap if cause problems,Seriously doubt it will.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:53:44 PM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »
I use an old crock pot...cheap garage sale item. Get it up to 170 or so and the alky will bubble out. While it is HOT I run it thru a very fine screen into a clean container. Still flows slow but if it wasn't hot it would probably take a week!!!
Steve Walczak

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »
When i did it, i bought an inexpensive Walmart soup pot, and a used hot plate (no flame).  i kept it about 150* until the fuel was gone.  Worked great.  Filter and pour back in while @ that temp, or like Steve says, it'll take forever lol

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winco-Aluminum-Stock-Pot-20-qt-11-8-Diameter-x-11-Height-x-0-1875-Thickness-1-Each/587406917

Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »
When I tried cooking it it seemed to take forever but it worked.
When refrigeration guys install refrigerant lines they pull a vacuum on them to remove the moisture. And it takes a while.
I wonder if that would work with the oil in say a pressure cooker pot? Something that wouldn't cave in under vacuum.
It would remove the risk of fire if it would work.

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 09:14:36 AM »
I use an old propane tank welded to an old flexplate so it doesn't fall over and strap a Moroso heat pad on. Does not work with nitro because the boiling point, I just let it settle a few weeks and drain off the bottom quart or so until clear. The attached picture shows what happens to the different fuels and mixes. The 3 VR1 samples were shaken vigorously and allowed to settle, the Brad Penn 40% was used in my engine with 3 passes on it. Looks very similar to the 45% sample.
Mark S

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
Now f you could recycle the nitro.LOL

Offline cad500justin

• View Profile
    • Copper Cadillac Racing
  • Your Best Time: 8.24@164
  • Your Engine: 500" caddy
  • Your Track: sac/bako/sonoma
  • Your Vehicle: 208" fed
  • General Location: The Altamont
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
When you think about it, you’re effectively building a moonshine still. And I have ..um... allegedly run one once or twice...
As you heat the mixture you will watch the liquid temp rise gradually but the air temp in the line arm will stay room temp and then all of a sudden go right to the boiling point of methanol, at this point you turn on the water to your condenser and viola-methanol starts dripping out. Methanol has a lower boiling point than ethanol (149vs173) and is the stuff that makes you go blind from lousy moonshiners.
The boil will stay at this temp until the methanol is gone and then all of a sudden jump up to the next phase change, the boiling point of ethanol and  then eventually water.
In theory if you had a tall reflux column still you could probably save the nitro.

Otherwise a centrifuge would probably work too...