Author Topic: I know Why NITRO is $35 a Gallon  (Read 7761 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Re: I know Why NITRO is $35 a Gallon
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 03:16:31 AM »
Howdy Dave (and everybody else)
A mate of mine is a privateer trying to run NHRA Funny Car. I was talking to him this morning and he said including warm ups he uses a drum of fuel in 2 passes! Also mentioned fuel is the cheap part of running a Nitro FC !
Cheers

Offline longtimeracer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.7, 204 in TAD in 1996; 8.93, 147 in my FED
  • Your Engine: 359 inch SBC, Hilborn injected, on methanol
  • Your Track: Santa Pod, UK
  • Your Vehicle: My FED, Jurassic Parts 2
  • General Location: East of England
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »
You guys are so lucky being able to get nitro so easily, here in the UK you have to have a Home Office (that's like Homeland Security) registration  to buy nitro. Its because nitro can be used for bomb making by terrorists, you also have to keep records of use and you cant sell of the back of your trailer. Basically you have to be a company and if your claiming sponsorship to have a decal on the car. I only want to try 20% or so and not buy a 55 gallon barrel which would take me forever to use and I couldn't sell on to another racer. I've seen small quantities of 20% for radio controlled model cars but because they have 2 stroke engines, castor oil is added for lube. Would smell nice but not do much for the plugs! Has anyone tried it?

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »
Find a 5 gal can--it last forever--will not go bad and that much will let you run 20% for a long time
don't forget about 1 qt of Toluene added to a 5 gal mix really seems to help prevent detonation--it is 420 a gal at the paint stores here
5 gal can nitro is $150 here
find a racer that will sell you 5 gal on the sly and go for it
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
27 BUCKS A Gallon this weekend at Charlotte. Had to fill some paper work. Heard bunch of BS about not being able to have it w/o homelland Security.As turn out 44 gallons or less you are fine. Picked up 20 gallons for playing,figure if keep it 20% to 30% I should be godd for little while,still have to get car tuned out on alky before making run with it plus will need converter to make a dedicated system to maximize nitro setup. After firing up cpl weeks ago on 20%(volume) I know I a in trouble,throw in a weekend around A/fuel and its not going to get better.LOL

Sherwin Wilaims is 26 a gallon for tolulene checked last week to see if they carried it and they could get it in in 2 days.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:23:51 PM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 06:15:49 PM »
I picked up tolulene at ACE Hardware here $19 and my Sherwin williams had it same rate

5 gal of VP nitro available at many tracks and easy as paying to get it no paper
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
well Sunoco required paper work.As for amount could get any amount just had 4 jugs so had all filled.

Which tracks are you finding it at Dave?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
Gibbs at Mooresville will get you what you need he orders fuel every week--you pick up at the track zero issues
Call Donny at Gibbs Race Cars in Mooresville tell him I sent you

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 06:16:55 PM »
Will remember.With 20 gallons on hand and will be mixing only 20%(thats funny) well maybe little more.But only occasionally , I should be good for while.  Working on parts for complete second system later on. Idea is unbolt intake and pump and drop on set up for nitro. Wishing I hadn't sold that other K style BV now.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 01:47:16 PM »
Got bored today and heard that stuff calling. Mixed up batch if about 33% to wake the neighborhood and it worked.LOL Hey 20 gallons sitting here with drum of alky,not my fault.

Stuff is like crack just pulls you in,but dang its COOL!