Author Topic: Photos and info please  (Read 2703 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Photos and info please
« on: April 20, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
Howdy. I'm going to upgrade and build a new chassis for my car. Still looking to be short 150 -155" but going to have my engine further forward at about 40" out and going to give myself a little extra length behind the rear axle. Any body have photos of an A arm style front end for me to study. Any reason to not go down the A arm path on a short wheel base car. What sort of front track are you  A arm guys running?
Cheers

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: Photos and info please
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
Don’t give yourself extra length behind the rear axle keep it short back there any extra length puts the weight to the back and you do not want that!

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 07:32:25 PM »
PM me a email and I'll snap cpl shots of front end. As to width it depends on cpl items. How wide chassis is at that point,you need to be able to get full turn of gear box. Is wheel is mounted too close it can cause cpl issues. Wheel hitting drag link or drag link too close to chassis(This one I know). I think 26 is minimum allowed and its too close IMO. Will remeasure tomorrow and let you know what mine is.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:26:07 PM »
My current chassis is 8" wide at the axle attachment (tube axle welded direct to the frame rails) and the front track is 39" I would like to be this wide at least with any future set up. My steering box has 3/4 turn lock to lock. Therefore if my new chassis was a similar width my A arms would need to be 16" long. Maybe I'm better off with a tube axle? The bonus of the wishbone style front end is I can stuck stuff like battery weight box right up front. I'll message you my e-mail address.
Cheers