Author Topic: best nostalgia event for holiday.  (Read 3214 times)

Offline probird

• View Profile
  • Your Track: alberta
best nostalgia event for holiday.
« on: April 15, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
Hello fedders!
I'm looking at saving up for a holiday with my son(he will be 20) next year and would like opinions on the best meet to see.
Eg. march meet, bowling green, etc. not sure if driving or flying to said meet (i'm up in Alberta Canada)
As the age of drivers is getting up there, we would like to meet some before its too late.
Thanks for your input!
Barry and Jake

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
Re: best nostalgia event for holiday.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:27:50 PM »
i went to hot rod reunion last year at Famoso last year in October for the first time. i have been to a few March Meets.  I like March Meet for amount of cars but i think the Hot Rod Reunion is better from aspect of seeing old cackle cars, prob more older drivers, and i think better car show too.  at HRR i have heard cackle cars from start to finish line but last year was minimal.    everyone leaves after the races but its worth it to see them push start the cars down the return road and line up on the track.  id like to see it again.  these are the only two i have seen/been to.

Offline voxnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 04:15:51 PM »
I don't know if it meets your goals of meeting veteran drivers, but having been to a number of CHRRs and March Meets, hands down the most fun I've ever had at a nostalgia meet was at the Meltdown Drags in Byron, Ill last July. They do their best to recreate 1966. Here's video of the gassers from last year:

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:01:28 PM »
The March Meet is a spectacle well worth seeing, although the weather in recent years has been sketchy at best. We've sat out the last three years with the feeling the costs (as a competitor) out weights the benefits.

The CHRR since NHRA proper is a shell of what it once was. When it was ran by Steve Gibbs and the museum it too was a spectacle worth seeing too. Anymore IMHO, it's just another NHRA event with a rigid format catered to the nitro cars and doesn't have that magical buzz to it anymore.

Since retiring, Steve Gibbs has put together a couple of Nitro Revivals and has shown good success, though there is no racing. It is a good time to meet and greet some of the legends and see some of the cars from the past. There is a possibility there will be another one later this year here in So. Cal, but nothing is official yet.

http://nitrorevival.com/

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
 voxnut,

I am friends with the Famoso Speed Shop Mob and they say the Meltdown Drags is a blast. They even brought back their Dragfest at Famoso earlier this year with the hopes to emulate it.