Author Topic: tire shake ideas?  (Read 4602 times)

Offline cad500justin

• View Profile
    • Copper Cadillac Racing
  • Your Best Time: 8.24@164
  • Your Engine: 500" caddy
  • Your Track: sac/bako/sonoma
  • Your Vehicle: 208" fed
  • General Location: The Altamont
tire shake ideas?
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:27:53 AM »

a friend of mine is battling tire shake issues. Here's a good slo-mo viddy. They've tried different tire compounds and pressures, but no luck. blown alky sbc, 7.60 index, glide, leaving flat on the converter. If they hop up the motor to beat the shake, the car runs too fast for the index.
They're talking about stiffer sidewall tires.
i keep thinking just raising the tire pressure until it quits, but i've never dealt with this problem either.
wonder what lowering the launch rpm or a higher stall converter?
Maybe using a pneumatic throttle controller like what Greg has?

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
Re: tire shake ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:43 AM »
I believe this is a tire issue.  i think it can be made to work (more timing, more run at converter, to get tire speed)
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »
Longer...lower wheelie bar would help (single wheel). It is jumping up at the hit...on the wheelie bar...then the bar slams it back down ect.
Not sure where you are with tire pressure....but 10 lbs might fix it...you NEED wheel speed, not spinning...just not wadding the tire up.
If 10 fixes it...try 9.5...then 9 until the problem comes back, then you know your tire pressure for those tires on that car.
Steve Walczak

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:54:01 AM »
I'm no expert but looks to me that the wheelie bar is too low and too much air pressure

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:23:14 PM »
I am no expert but my friends car was acting similar with blower they upped leave RPM to pretty high RPM and it quit shaking and started running great  I mean it was like high maybe 4000 but car settled down and started really showing out
also bar may be too low
a good leave is a balance between leave RPM--tire pressure--and bar height
If my car is driven right it is perfect--if any of the three is off it can look awful
Tire pressure on mine seems to be the item that makes the least diff
bar height Critical then leave RPM
I have had several pals go from injected to blower and high leave RPM fixed them all after many trials
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:56:43 PM »
im no expert either...but the rear engine car i had yrs ago it liked less air, it had a 632 that ran low 7's ... anything over 5.5 it shook i think the sweet spot was around 4.75-5psi to get it perfect...... think i left around 4800.  it was a big hoosier tire i ran cant remember the numbers but it was a very popular tire around 2009.... couple times i was solo and got strapped in and had to wait to run and couldn't check psi and i know they got hot, instant shake..... those bars do look like they hit so that could be upsetting it

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:50 AM »
Some other info might help.  Trans low gear?  Rear gear? What is that RPM flat on the converter?  Are you saying the problem goes away when the car is hopped up? 

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 07:12:09 PM »
Okay, I am not sure on this but here is my two cents and what I would do. I would lower the wheelie bar so it slows the wheelie down before it unloads the rear tires. regardless the rear tires are spinning then hooking hard.
I am curious, what is the rear gear ratio and converter stall?
Is it a hardtail?
Also what tire pressure are you running? May need less but hard to tell with it unloading rear tires.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »
OK I will follow the no expert thing,tire shake wise few are. I will say anytime I have tuned on a car with tire shake,more tire speed was answer. On our funny car if shake a hit more rpm was answer and we left at 6500 to 7000 as was.If shaking thru gear more clutch got rid of it. Now you can go oppisite direction and get rid of it some times and at times that better approach.More than likely you will loose performance backing down and go quicker being aggressive.

How yo get more tire speed? More rpm,suspenion. wheelie bar and or pressure. While less pressure by reason would mean more hook .I have been told and found true that most of the time less will allow more slippage,but like most thing depends on setup of other factors.

From video I would say car has more than enough tire speed and shake starts as car is unloading tires from wheelie bar hit. In your case I would approach wheelie bar first while leaving launch alone then pressure.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:15:59 PM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot