Author Topic: ring package w/vacuum pump  (Read 2223 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
ring package w/vacuum pump
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:23:43 PM »
Ok got a vacuum pump for car. Looking at swapping oild rings maybe secondary. Current combo is .047 dyke(ss),1/16 total seal and 3/16 oil. Not changing pistons right now so have to work with whats here. Seeing as vacuum pumps power gains are mainly with low tension rings. I am thing low tension oil and maybe swapping gapless second for low drag. Top is kind of dictated due to being cut for dyke rings.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Oh yea cars is just injected 526 Hemi with possible 30% load at times.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
Re: ring package w/vacuum pump
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »
500 cu in roots blown alky bbc we run gapless for the last three years no vacuum pump dry sump they seem to work better than low tension napier rings we ran before

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »
Chris I would try it just the way it is with the vac pump ! If you talk to total seal they will tell you to run the Napier ring and if you talk to Bill Miller he will tell you not to ! I would tend to believe Bill Miller ! He helped my son out when he was having piston trouble with his car and the second ring was part of the problem !

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 05:16:14 AM »
Bill,

You have total different experiance with BME than I have. Long story short. Killed one motor,swapped  out,made 4 passes and when pulled engine down found 4 rods cracked at bolt. According to BM I had left the rods torqued in trailer and cold caused oil to turn to catalyst that caused rods to crack.  I do live in NC not that cold here between March and Nov. . My last set of BME.

I'm thinking trying what I have some more and then switch to see if any noticeable difference. As close as I can get to ABA test. Probably will be very small and hard to find on ET slip,but where the fun in just switching and not knowing? As Alan Starr told me once if you don't ;earn something new everyday you wasted that day.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »
 The bbc is in a inboard hydro and with the gapless 2nd ring there was no milky oil and leak down percentage was less, we run 2 or 5 days 5 warm-up then 5 race laps x 2 qualifying and a feature each day
on the dyno we didn't find any difference.