Author Topic: Want to build an FED in Australia  (Read 5728 times)

Offline LSTRITS

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: NONE
  • Your Engine: Holden 202 NA with NOS
  • Your Track: Hidden Valley
  • Your Vehicle: NONE
  • General Location: Northern Territory, Australia
Want to build an FED in Australia
« on: March 30, 2018, 03:56:12 AM »
Hey guys,

Im Matt and a drag racer in Darwin, NT Australia.

Im currently looking at building a small FED for a Holden 202 (straight 6 3.3L) after seeing how fast an FED can go. Only issue is I am trying to find where I can buy plans to build the car along with a list of whats required so I can begin planning money for the build. The engine and gearbox are done so thats one thing out the way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated with a "whats needed" as I want to build it myself.

Cheers Matt

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Want to build an FED in Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 05:34:59 AM »
Building FEd all you need to know is Neil and Parks. They have plans($125) and about everything you need parts wise.Add in super great guys to deal with and always willing to give advice or help. https://neilparks.com/ I would have bought plans and probably saved 3 times that is screwed up materials. Their roll cage parts alone would have saved me enough to cover cost of plans.

Frank spent most of hour on phone giving me advice and at that point I had spent zero with them.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:52:34 AM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »
Matt - if you have a really good digital camera, when you're around dragsters and see something you like, or really don't like, take many photos from all angles.  Then when determining each part for your build, you can reference these photos to assist your designing your chassis and own parts to fit and work together.  You're fortunate Rooman is here (also a sponsor of this site) because he no doubt knows the Holden 202 and any issues with chassis fitment and solutions for your unusual engine/drive train selection.  Alan   

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »

Offline LSTRITS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments so far. Being in Australia and especially in Darwin we have very few FED's unless they are the big boys and there is only 1 or 2 that come out to play. I will defiantly be looking into the plans/businesses you have provided. Thank you!

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 03:56:03 AM »
Mate going to sound crazy but go buy yourself some plastic model kits. Must be some guys at Hidden Valley tgat can help you. Also contact Danial Hodgins in Alice Springs. He ran a Holden FED before moving on to other things and has built several altered chassis for other guys.

Offline LSTRITS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 04:38:32 AM »
Mate going to sound crazy but go buy yourself some plastic model kits. Must be some guys at Hidden Valley tgat can help you. Also contact Danial Hodgins in Alice Springs. He ran a Holden FED before moving on to other things and has built several altered chassis for other guys.

Just sent Danial a message now. Hopefully I can get some help. All the other boys are big or moved their cars south to race. Sadly looks like our season might be a little messed up ATM. From what I hear a lack of volunteers and late organisation.

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 05:59:52 AM »
 volunteers loose interest or get burn't out it always the same ones that do the work and often they are not recognized for it.
how you decided on a wheel base?

Offline LSTRITS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »
volunteers loose interest or get burn't out it always the same ones that do the work and often they are not recognized for it.
how you decided on a wheel base?

Not yet. Was thinking of 170" or 180". Not sure if my height comes into effect (5'11 and 100kg). Engine we estimate is pushing 300hp NA plus the 150 shot of NOS.

Its hard for volunteers agree! I commit my time to another sport with my son but would otherwise offer my time this year.

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »
To our American brothers. The Holden inline six dragster in Australia was like your junior fuel car. A guy could have a home built car and have good cheap and fun. It seems there were  hundreds of them in the nineteen sixties and early seventies.

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 07:45:02 AM »
question is a Holden 6 related to a  american chev or ford 6?
any motor that was available was used 4 cylinder drone, volks and inline 4's to 6's to all v8's I don't remember the classes A,B,C,D, AND X DRAGSTER the break down weight to cubic inch you tried to build the lightest car possible. in England the had a lot of 4 and 6 cylinder dragsters

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 05:29:20 AM »
any motor that was available was used 4 cylinder drone, volks and inline 4's to 6's to all v8's I don't remember the classes A,B,C,D, AND X DRAGSTER the break down weight to cubic inch you tried to build the lightest car possible. in England the had a lot of 4 and 6 cylinder dragsters

Holden is a branch of GM's global empire so the engines used by them over the years are somewhat related to the US Chevrolet products but generally a little smaller in capacity. If you are talking to an Aussie and he tells you that he is running a "gray" motor he has the earlier version of the Holden six that was introduced in 1948 with the first car branded "Holden". It looks very much like an early Chevy six but the factory displacement is only 138 cubic inches. In 1964 GM switched to the "red" motor which is basically a scaled down version of the 230/250/292 Chevy six. Initially it came in 149 and 179 cubic inch versions and later grew to 186 and finally 202 cubes. The names used by the locals are based on the factory paint color used on the engines.
 There was also a locally produced V8 that is unique to Australia and shares nothing with the small block Chevy. It came in 253 and 308 cubic inch versions and had a front timing "case" like a Windsor Ford (or small block Mopar).

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline LSTRITS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 03:59:06 AM »

Holden is a branch of GM's global empire so the engines used by them over the years are somewhat related to the US Chevrolet products but generally a little smaller in capacity. If you are talking to an Aussie and he tells you that he is running a "gray" motor he has the earlier version of the Holden six that was introduced in 1948 with the first car branded "Holden". It looks very much like an early Chevy six but the factory displacement is only 138 cubic inches. In 1964 GM switched to the "red" motor which is basically a scaled down version of the 230/250/292 Chevy six. Initially it came in 149 and 179 cubic inch versions and later grew to 186 and finally 202 cubes. The names used by the locals are based on the factory paint color used on the engines.

Roo

Not just the colours of the blocks but the cylinder heads. Grey motors were 6 port, Red/Blue motors were 9 port and Black motors were 12 port and also came with EFI. With a little modification you can chop and change parts from each of the engines to build a better motor E.G. the bottom end of a blue motor is far stronger than all others and with a black head gets better flow.

Offline Compsix

• View Profile
  • Your Track: BIR
  • Your Vehicle: Parks FED
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 06:44:38 AM »
Hi

I know that you said you want to build one but if your willing to ship one I have a 08 parks that was BUILT FOR A INLINE 6 300" FORD.  There is a video in the 6cyl page on this forum and you can also google "pat nahan comp e/d" if you want to see more pic's or video's. 

Message me if you want to talk about it.

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 05:43:23 AM »
Hi Matt. Dan told me you've spoken but I don't know where your at with him. Contact me by the message section here tomorrow could ya.