Author Topic: K-88 / 6 Cylinder  (Read 34849 times)

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Bandimere Mo-Kan
  • Your Vehicle: 1931 Chevy Roadster
Re: K-88 / 6 Cylinder
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »
With the third member in the car I was finaly able to finalize my mid-plate mount.  I had to shim the mid-plate (washers for mock-up now) a bit on each side to get the coupler to slide freely.  With that in place I took some bungs (7/16/20 threads) and came through the front hoop with and butted up to the mid-plate and bolted through the front.
Now the engine is held by the front mount and at the mid plate with the coupler able to slide freely.
Upon final assembly I'll set the coupler play at 1/8" or at least that's my plan.

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
Bungs will be welded front and back...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:56:07 PM by Countn Carbs »

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2019, 07:32:32 AM »
Plus a 12 port, better than money in the bank.  That makes five early GMC 12 ports I’m aware which reside in Colorado, seems above average for one State.  I don’t know how many are out there.

FTF – quite the vision you share, doing your part helping our Earth rotate : )

dreracecar

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2019, 08:09:54 AM »

Support the steering shaft out closer to the pitman arm, Hitting a bump with the front wheels and jerking the steering will bend that .750 shaft hanging out that far from the support.Run a tape line to represent the body and run the support out as far as you can without getting into the body also an FYI, Most Racing org. require a screw/positive lock cap for the fuel tank as the "flip top" style tends to pop open in the event of a crash
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:17:54 AM by dreracecar »

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »

Support the steering shaft out closer to the pitman arm, Hitting a bump with the front wheels and jerking the steering will bend that .750 shaft hanging out that far from the support.Run a tape line to represent the body and run the support out as far as you can without getting into the body also an FYI, Most Racing org. require a screw/positive lock cap for the fuel tank as the "flip top" style tends to pop open in the event of a crash
Thanks dreracecar and matter of fact that is what I knocked out this weekend.  I used a pillow block with a machined block to get it further out towards the pitman arm.  It certainly helps. 
And on that cap - I thought the same thing and asked the head tech inspector (sent him a picture of the tank) at my track before I bought that tank.  He said with the class I will be running in it is fine.  And believe me....I'm keeping all these e-mails.   Just in case I have a Moon tank sitting on the shelf with the screw top like you mention.

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2019, 01:30:14 PM »
denverflatheader -

I honestly thought I would never be able to own a 12 Port but God definitely shined down on me for this deal.  Had to go to CA to get it but with the history of the head (being owned by Kay Sissell) and the right price I couldn't pass it up.

I would agree - I think CO does have an above average number for GMC 12 Ports - I kinda like that.

FTF – quite the vision you share, doing your part helping our Earth rotate :

I agree and my build certainly doesn't fit the main stream FED world of today but I thought others might enjoy it.  Thanks for your interest.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:32:28 PM by Countn Carbs »

Offline Goinbroke2

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 12.48@110
  • Your Track: Greenfield NS
  • Your Vehicle: 83 Mustang GT
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2019, 08:47:02 AM »
Great to see progress. Kind of nice that I go away for a while (life gets in the way) remember this site and this car, come back and HEY 5 MORE PAGES TO CATCH UP ON!!! Lol!
I've been saving parts for years while doing other projects. Kids out of the junior dragster(after 7 years) and is now racing in street machine. I retire June 2020 and can't wait to be able to work all day, every day on my stuff. Takes forever while working, working sucks! Lol!

Looking really good, that engine is cool. I too thought it would look better with the ends of the main rails capped and a couple pages later, you thought the same!  I was just involved in the "school challenge" where 15 schools and 21 cars competed, it was a blast. Cars cannot go faster than 14 seconds and must have a teacher/adult in the passenger seat with a remote kill switch for safety reasons. That's when I realised you can get a rush and the blood flowing riding along in a 17.5 second focus! Its the competition, not the speed I enjoy. I'm thinking low 13's high 12's at the most for mine...whenever it comes together.
How fast are you planning to run it?

Good luck on further progress.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »
denverflatheader -

I honestly thought I would never be able to own a 12 Port but God definitely shined down on me for this deal.  Had to go to CA to get it but with the history of the head (being owned by Kay Sissell) and the right price I couldn't pass it up.

I would agree - I think CO does have an above average number for GMC 12 Ports - I kinda like that.

FTF – quite the vision you share, doing your part helping our Earth rotate :

I agree and my build certainly doesn't fit the main stream FED world of today but I thought others might enjoy it.  Thanks for your interest.

My dad just had a 12 port in his shop it was picked up last week but it wasn’t for the GMC it was on a 235

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2019, 06:44:16 AM »
Paul – yesterday in the mail I got the June 12 Port News.  It has Classifieds in the very back of this publication.  The second item listed for sale is from the Phoenix area, a used Chevy 12 port bare cylinder head, with header flange and 2 carb intake; asking $4000.  It’s rare item and will probably sell.  That’s twice this week I see an unknown Chevy 12 port mentioned, probably won’t happen again for 5 or 6 years.  Alan

dreracecar

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2019, 08:51:26 AM »
Like anything in our world,  if you see it and don't buy it , you will never see another one for sale, If you do buy it, 2 more will show up in a week for less money

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2019, 09:16:55 PM »
Paul – yesterday in the mail I got the June 12 Port News.  It has Classifieds in the very back of this publication.  The second item listed for sale is from the Phoenix area, a used Chevy 12 port bare cylinder head, with header flange and 2 carb intake; asking $4000.  It’s rare item and will probably sell.  That’s twice this week I see an unknown Chevy 12 port mentioned, probably won’t happen again for 5 or 6 years.  Alan

Yes that is crazy how that happens!