Author Topic: Basic 355 combo  (Read 13274 times)

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
Re: Basic 355 combo
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 08:18:24 PM »
it all depends if your building for a specific class or some body's budget  the fed started flat piston vortec headed gas motor and carb and is now 406 domed long rod , lw pistons roller cammed ti valved aluminum head injected alky motor TD machine rockers etc. sent a day dyno just testing oils to squeeze the last hp  or testing headers, carbs spacers all to stay legal with-in the rules and win.

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 04:09:47 AM »
Don't over think it. It will be fast with 400 or 425 hp. Ditch the cooling system and run meth. Will run okay on a low comp engine, is cheaper than race fuel, engine will run stacks cooler. Second hand stack injection or a new Meth carb. Personally I find any carbs too much dicking around. Keep it simple. Cheers

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 05:47:01 AM »
retro boy is right alky is the way to go even with a carb the only change was to add jet extensions
you can modify your gas carb but an alky carb is a better way to go tried both

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 06:25:12 AM »
I tend to agree with Chris on that ! We all start out with intentions of only going so fast and that needle goes in a little deeper and the next thing you know you want to go quicker and faster ! That's what Drag racing is all about for me ! Opal That is a great looking car ! Have fun with it !
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:26:59 AM by masracingtd1167 »

Offline opa1

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5:60 1/8
  • Your Engine: 355 Chevy Methanol Injected
  • Your Track: Alamo City Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 71 Ed Mabry Jr. Fuel
  • General Location: South Coast
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 08:53:05 AM »
When I said stepping back, I meant simple build. I would love to go stack injection and no cooling system. That's the way the car was running before. I don't know jack about what's needed or how to run fuel injection.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:01:02 AM by opa1 »

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »
As you can see, a lot of different ideas and views here. That's good because it exposes you to all the ins and outs of making your car work. Once you get it running, I'm sure you'll be just like the rest of us and will make it go quicker & faster! Because you have so many parts already, just consider putting a cam in the block you have now, bolting the top end on you own, putting some gas in the tank and make some passes. You can always go alky later if you choose. Just be sure and take 10 or 15 gallons of water with you for cooling when using gas. Back in the late 70's my altered and feds all ran on gas and the cooling was a bit of a pain in the ass but it worked. After a run I'd pick up the chute and open the water drain petcocks on the block and then let it drain. Let it finish draining in the pits and then let it sit and cool for 20 minutes. Then filled it with warm water from 5 gallon containers setting in the sun on the roof of the trailer to avoid shocking the iron. Took about 30 minutes turn-around time as I recall. That was with an all iron big block but it worked for us. BTW The custom radiator built for my current altered, the water pump, the hoses and fitting along with the water fill manifold came to a little over $1k. It's worked very well so far, we'll see how it works in a couple of months when I double the horsepower and the additional heat that goes along with it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:20:09 AM by Roger »

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »
if you dont have a carb/fuel pump yet, look into a basic alky carb, you can even get away with a cheap edelbrock mechanical pump.

one of the best setups i ran yrs ago was a 250.00 alky carb i got from a circle tracker, i had to put jet extensions on it, i used an edelbrock pump that was good for alky, and a barry grant barrel valve. it was on a mutt of a 350 sbc with 12.1 cast pistons, iron eagle heads and a solid flat tappet cam, ran very consistent 10.6's in a door car but it was very easy to use. i had a limited budget and it worked well for not alot of money. an alky carb is a great intro into running alky without all the extra cost involved of buying an injection system obviously if buying good used stuff.... buying new is going to cost some

Offline opa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
I haven't bought the fuel system parts yet. If I were to buy a alky carb and run meth, would I need a cooling system? Just the costs of a cooling system would offset the costs in other areas.

Also want to say thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give it all some thought. There are some pics of the car in the build section. I'll update there as I go.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:57:19 PM by opa1 »

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 04:35:13 PM »
It will run cool on meth so the cooling system is surplus. Also very consistent even as temp changes. I saw a second hand Rons system offered for $800 the other day - don't kniw where maybe on For A Bodies only forum

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 08:00:31 AM »
we ran a ron's pump with the alky carb ran water in the block and heads no cool down routine no water pump no rad no fan when I ran a C/SM IN THE 70'S  had 45gal of warm water hoses an pump on the trailer for the the cooling routine

Offline opa1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 08:24:53 AM »
My nephew had a door car with a Rons flying toilet on alky. That is the only experience I've had with alky. I got the car to run low 10's but never had it run great. I didn't spend a lot of time with it or try to learn to run it. Guess I should have paid more attention.

A friend has a couple of belt driven pumps. He's offered then to me for free. Not sure what brand or type.

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
alky carb seem to run best at 9psi  ran a return line with a poppet valve to adjust pressure  installed a flying toilet on a motor haven't really run it as yet but shouldn't be any harder than stack or hat injectors
to adjust it started up and ran nice in the shop.
 if you decide to run a carb don't forget to install jet extension on the secondaries

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »
If you already have a four barrel intake the Rons Toilet or Terminator would be a good choice ! I run a pair of terminators on my car and they work great ! It takes a little tuning to get it right but it will work very well on your set up !

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »
 masracingtd1167 question about your headers  13/4" into 17/8" with merge collectors how do they compare  reg. stepped headers with a straight collector  because i wanted to try some with a 14" megaphone from the transition

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
Simplest system ever. One line in. One line back to the tank. Pill in the metering block. Away you go. Awsome throttle responce.