Author Topic: TH400 in an Altered  (Read 363 times)

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
TH400 in an Altered
« on: March 24, 2018, 02:45:37 PM »
Looking for some guidance on a trans issue.

Helping a friend with a new altered and he is looking to swap the powertrain from his other car into a new hardtail altered chassis.
Altered was running a PG, but we want to run the current TH400 as a two speed in the altered. This gives a more favorable gear ratio, + saves $$ from buying a new trans. Driveshaft is not an issue as there is only 1/2 difference, but he was concerned about having a rear trans mount.
Never ran mounts on a glide in dragsters that I have played with, but not sure if the added weight of the TH would be a concern?
Anyone experience running a TH400 in an altered?

Ultimately this car will have a clutch.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - North Iowa Dragway
  • General Location: Midwest
Re: TH400 in an Altered
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 02:59:47 PM »
If you have a motor plate between the engine and transmission and mounting ears at the front of the engine, I believe you do not want to run a rear transmission mount.  If you do, the chassis will flex, and you start braking stuff.  Hopefully Roo or someone with more knowledge than me will add to this.

Personally, I think swapping out a Powerglide for a TH400 is a great idea.  I wouldn't be afraid of running it as a three speed either.  That would keep in engine RPM in the sweat spot (power band).
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
Re: TH400 in an Altered
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »
That is one heavy trans to hang from the bellhousing I would add a support but wouldn't bolt it solid
what motor are you running?
any pics?
have a nice season