Author Topic: rear axle width ..help  (Read 5232 times)

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
rear axle width ..help
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
need alittle help with rear axle width ,   im going to build my new car with a 21" shoulder hoop ,   the rear wheels im going to run are 12" wide with a 6" back spacing . the tires im thinking of using are goodyear  d5  31x13.0-15  tred width is 12.8  im if figuring correctly ,  outside of hoop will be 24"  2 inches of tire clearance from hoop to sidewall , 6" back spacing , 3/8" for rotor thickness  ... im at a 39" wide axle , from outside of axle to outside of axle ..... does this measuremet of 39" sound correct   ?

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: rear axle width ..help
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
With 6" back space wheels you are obviously going to have a wider housing than most who run 3.75" bs. The 2" tire to hoop dimension is a little large--I usually run about 1/2"--3/4" clearance in that area. Taking those numbers into consideration your housing width is about right (if you run the bigger clearance number).

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
Re: rear axle width ..help
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »
roo , thanks , i didnt think i could get that close for some reason , but , ill have to shorten it up alittle ..... the wheels i already have so figured id just get alittle longer wheel , i dont think it hurts anything to have the bs centered up in the wheel any ?   who knows i have another project i might use them on so i might go to a shorter bs wheel .  thanks again !