Author Topic: Safety equipment...  (Read 8589 times)

Offline SaltandPepper

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.638@140.65mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 327 small block
  • Your Track: Cecil County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: slingshot dragster
  • General Location: East coast
Safety equipment...
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:13:43 AM »
Looking into and am getting ready to buy safety equipment for my start at the strip this spring but am a little overwhelmed with the choices and need some guidance. I have checked out Ebay and although their prices look good I know you only get what you pay for. Some on this forum have suggested I go to Biondo in NJ which is close enough to me to make the trip if I get quality safety gear. I would like to know opinions in regards to single piece suits vs. separate jacket/pants suits, multi-layer vs single layer, and shoulder HNR devices vs. the devices that extend down the chest. I plan to buy a suit/helmet/shoes/HNR/and gloves. Is their a specific rating that will be required at the dragstrip? Realize that I will only be a weekend warrior and will not participate in competition so I think a $1000 race suit may be a bit over the top. I am running a gas engine. Any responses will be appreciated.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Safety equipment...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 03:39:53 AM »
Two Piece suit is handy  You can leave the pants on after a run--a one piece is a PIA on and off after every run
Two choices--Legal or Not Legal
Legal means SFI-15 suit  expensive and not fun to wear in the heat
Not Legal means at least double layer quality suit Sparco are some of the finest and being able to try them on is big plus
Biondo is the best shop in the USA for this
If you ever have a fire that price tag on that suit will not matter

I have to admit I often think of getting a two layer to wear when not at an NHRA deal but then I think of the down side of possible harm that could come to me in that car and I stick with my good suit

Helmets are tough --most are imported--even well known brands so ask Biondo what they think--a lite weight helmet is great but not worth it in a drag car IMO  I use a Simpson Bandit was under $500 next time I will get one from Speedway or somewhere for less  Lots of decent helmets for around $250 range just get a full face job

One layer suits are for spectators not drivers
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - Humboldt County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Canode 225" Ex-Nostalgia Top Fueler
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:21:09 AM »
As mentioned, you have two paths to start, NHRA legal, or just "ok" with the track you run at.  What happens if you crash, get knocked out, and the car catches on fire?  Are you going to trust others to save you, or buy better equipment to try to save yourself?

Some questions to pick the correct gear:

#1  Open wheel car with engine in front (FED & ALT)?

#2  Engine fuel and induction type?

#3  Automatic transmission with no floor?

#4  Petitional MPH and ET?

I would personally stay away from Amazon and eBay, unless the store you are buying from is well known.  Believe it or not, buy there is A LOT of cheap knock off junk for sale, and I would hate to see anyone getting hurt because of fake junk.  I recommend Jegs, Summit, and Speedway Motors as good vendors.  I have not used Good Vibrations, but they fork over a ton of money to sponsor races, and put money back into our pockets.  NTF racer Brendan Murry has a similar shop called Performance Motorsports.  You will not find a better guy, and he will take parts off his car to get you going.

Gear brands usually do not matter to people, they just buy whatever.  I am picky.  I buy great products.  I highly recommend Simpson Race Products, Impact Racing, Diest/DJ Safety and Bell Helmets.  DJ makes great car products.  Simpson and Impact make great driver products.  Bell makes great helmets, and Speedway Motors bought the rights to Bell Racing, and makes/sells nice Bell labeled driving gear, at a low price.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:40:51 AM by Calkins »
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:  1997 Hal Canode 225" FED

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:43:07 AM »
When it comes to safety just ok is NOT good enough!

There is nothing more valuable then walking away at the end of the day and being able to come back the next and race again.

Glenn Lever
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »
Before you buy, borrow and get in the car and see if you are comfortable.

I made the mistake of buying and first time I get in the car, I could not move my head at all due to the combination of helmet and head/neck restraint, ended buying different style helmet and shorter head/neck restraint.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »
watch the dates on the helmets.  not sure what spec is out but as an example an SA2010 is good for 12 years i think.  so 2022  you will have to buy a new one.

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »
When it comes to Safety (or anyone's for that mater), don't go cheap. Unless you have a low value on your quality of life.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »
I am a big fan of DJ Safety Big Ben treats us Sportsman Racers great!

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
my program with my son is 'when you don't feel safe anymore, that's it'. I don't push him. when he wheelied and broke the front end, he said no door car replacement. found a doctor for it and we continue to race it.
if he quits, we will make it a show car or sell it and buy an early 30's buick for us and my 2 grandsons to drive around in. ;D

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 01:25:15 AM »
 I'm not big on the big box stores but I know of an instance where a helmet was bought through Summit Racing and they paid all the shipping on 3 returns to get the one he liked.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 05:42:35 AM »
Sparco suits are the best out there if you go with an SFI-15  You said you were close to Biondo--so go try it on--they stock more than all of the others combined--That is a can't miss deal- Everyone else sells SFI-15 as a custom--that means if it does not fit you are screwed and you have silly wait time-also you get to try on helmets--that is a big deal
Most helmets are imported  even name brands   Bells from Speedway are great and the Speedway brand is probably the same mfg I bet they will tell if you ask  Simpsons are expensive and I am not so sure they are not imported now too
Gloves--get them big enough  hard to find larger ones that are comfortable fit  get the best you can afford--they are your first line of defense
If you elect the much lower priced two layer suits you can bolster the effectiveness with nomex style under wear which adds to your protection--these can be had pretty reasonable at around $50 each piece
Sox--get at least two pair maybe more for a long wk end of racing
Speedway has lots of inventory and you can exchange--that is critical--same with Summit

My wife likes that I have correct suit and she never blinked at that race expense  It would be rough laying up in the hospital because you skimped on safety gear   I know $2k for a suit is crazy but.....

There are used ones every now and then --maybe out of cert but that does not matter if you do not attend a real NHRA event they will still work  BTW Biondo re-certs the Sparcos when you need to in the future
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 07:38:52 AM »
maybe out of cert but that does not matter if you do not attend a real NHRA event they will still work  BTW Biondo re-certs the Sparcos when you need to in the future

Be careful with this statement Dave, the  tracks I race at no matter what type of event require current certifications on all gear.  Being that yes most Safety gear can be re-certified by the manufacturer

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - Humboldt County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Canode 225" Ex-Nostalgia Top Fueler
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 09:10:29 AM »
Years ago I bought a used Diest -20 suit, on the cheap.  It was out dated, and a little rough.  I called up Diest (you can all DJ too), and they told me to send it, and they will look it over.  I took a seam ripper to the prior owner's name, and poked a couple of tiny holes in it.  They said the holes were so small, that they were not an issue, but offered to sew a Diest patch over it.  The also replaced the arm restraints that were fraid, and recertified it for me.  Shipping and all was under $200, I believe.  I later sold the suit, because it was way to big for me (size and length) for $800.  Now that I have "grown", I wish I still had it.  I may have been able to have Diest shorten the arms and legs for me.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:  1997 Hal Canode 225" FED

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »
maybe out of cert but that does not matter if you do not attend a real NHRA event they will still work  BTW Biondo re-certs the Sparcos when you need to in the future

Be careful with this statement Dave, the  tracks I race at no matter what type of event require current certifications on all gear.  Being that yes most Safety gear can be re-certified by the manufacturer

Yea guess you are right it is just here in NC and area it does not matter--only track that ever checked my stuff was Z Max on test night but they are strict NHRA  7 other tracks and they took my money and pointed to the pits  we really only think about it when headed to Bowling Green for NHRA deal which I have hope to attend this year

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 10:11:23 AM »
I am a big fan of DJ Safety Big Ben treats us Sportsman Racers great!

DJ Safety/Deist is a great company to deal with and goes to great lengths to support the end-users. From chutes to belts to fire suppression systems to blower restraints and lower engine containment, all our safety equipment is from DJ Safety.

As time goes on, more and more big show racers are using DJ Safety.

Call (323) 221-0000 and ask for Big Ben, he will set you up right.