Author Topic: Angry cadillac engine.  (Read 2485 times)

Offline cad500justin

• View Profile
    • Copper Cadillac Racing
  • Your Best Time: 8.24@164
  • Your Engine: 500" caddy
  • Your Track: sac/bako/sonoma
  • Your Vehicle: 208" fed
  • General Location: The Altamont
Angry cadillac engine.
« on: January 27, 2018, 01:43:29 PM »
While sitting on the couch watching tv with my wife who had fallen asleep I decided to check Racing junk for cadillac parts. Lo and behold I found I guy selling parts I didn’t know existed. I ended up buying a pallet of parts from this guy that does tractor pulling with a god-danged cadillac 500.
Billet 4.400 moldex crank
Aluminum main caps/girdle
Aluminum heads, no water jackets, ti intake valves, raised runner, professionally ported with flow numbers
Blank LSM solid roller cam with provisions to drive a Hilborn pump
Gear drive and timing cover that accepts a hilborn pump

I have a block that is filled with epoxy, machined for roller cam bearings, and modified to accept (king) Pontiac main bearings which is what the crank is setup for. Riolo Racing near sac did the work.

My plan is to run NE/1  7.60 index on alcohol (roughly 15-16:1 cr) but down the road change pistons and put it into a different fed to make some hits on %80+ nitro. Supposedly nobody has been quicker than 7.90ish with a (blown) Cadillac RED.  I’d like to reset that number well into the 6’s with a NA motor in a FED.

My old motor was showing wear from inadequate oiling, so this one will be a dry sump. I’m leaning towards a Dailey pump. He supports his older stuff unlike Peterson and appears to have better technology than moroso, etc. But I’ve never built a dry sump system before. I don’t know how many stages to run, what filter(s), oil tank capacity,  plumbing tricks, etc. This is my current dilemma, any help would be appreciated. Certainly budget is a concern, I’ve found used Dailey pumps on the web, and I have the ability to make my own tank, etc.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: Angry cadillac engine.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:32:11 PM »
Justin I run an older un supported Peterson pump and I have been thinking about picking up a Nutter pump
http://nutterracingengines.com/racing_oil_pumps/dry_sump_oil_pump_products.html
I would also lean towards a factory built dry sump tank. I was going to build my own tank also until talking to several successful racers running dry sump combinations! I ended up purchasing a 3 gallon Peterson tank.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
Re: Angry cadillac engine.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »
Your digger is bitchen, just make Greg Means go to bed before 4am... Lol had a great time in Redding next to you all...
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways