Author Topic: Reducing rotating mass in trans  (Read 3494 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Reducing rotating mass in trans
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:39:00 AM »
 Any suggestion on removing rotating mass In trans. Already have Coan's max duty aluminum carrier setup,lucked (hopefully) into.  I know Parks has few lite weight peices  for glides also. Just looking for ideas and never hurts to ask others for input. After all only the " STUPID KNOW TOO MUCH TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW". Personal saying feel free to use anytime. LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
Re: Reducing rotating mass in trans
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:13:00 AM »
I've been using aluminum floaters and running the minimum number of clutch discs that will still get the job done. Also, the output shaft on my deal is aluminum and it is a tube too. It's a little risky but works on my car because I'm a little over 900 hp and 1360 lbs with driver. And you need to do this to run Comp. Be careful!

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:33:39 AM »
We know who's been shopping with Frank. LOL I looked at the aluminum couplers. for bracket car its not best thing IMO. Cost,durablity vs rewards not there. Plus heavier by about 150 lbs, about 150 more hp and smaller pocket book thats getting smaller al the time.LOL   

Thanks for reply and ideas.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 06:44:13 AM »
Ha! I agree with you Chris. There's some things you can do with the pump, roller bearings and lower pressure to reduce parasitics too. Again...Be careful!

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
No much in a glide to lighten as far as rotating mass goes, aluminum drum and carrier is about it. Total glide weight is another thing, I build a light weight glide for a customer. I weighed several cases and found the TSI was the lightest, did an aluminum drum, pump, and valve body, and did the Sonnax stamped aluminum pan. We ended up 23lbs lighter than his JW trans. Other was to free up hp would be to go with the big piston drum and the sonnax servo, this will let you lower line pressure while maintaining the same clamping force. A bolt together converter with an aluminum cover will also free so hp.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:11:36 AM »
Anything will be lighter than JW case.  Already have lite weight pan,Aluminum reverse pressure plate,aluminum carrier,FtI drilled hub,Aluminum valve body on the way.Few less reverse clutch's ,aluminum pump and one dang heavy JW case,soon to be replaced. Wish I could get lighter fly wheel.

Agree cutting rotating on glide is hard to do.One down side to simplicity and less parts from get go. About the only down side though.