Author Topic: Newbie in need....  (Read 9053 times)

Offline Bentwings

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: None
  • Your Engine: 392 Chrysler, 426 Chrysler, sbc
  • Your Track: None
  • Your Vehicle: 41Willys blown sbc streetrod
  • General Location: Midwest
Re: Newbie in need....
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 07:31:36 AM »
Welcome to this board.
Fist you need to join NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) and Get the rule book. Even though you are planning
on a fun trip,  you need to play by the rules for everyone’s safety.  Also it will help you learn to “talk the talk.” LOL

Your car most likely will require an inspection by an NHRA inspector. He will look for safety items on the chassis and point out any changes you have to make.  Just looking at the picture it looks pretty up to date so depending on how   quick and fast you plan to go will determine the level of inspection.  It will also help you pick the level of personal safety equipment required. 

Next I’d take the car to a CAT scale and have it weighed.  Most likely this scale won’t give you a front and rear weights but total is what you are looking for.  You can weigh the front on a home scale.

I’d use a digital camera or iPad and take pictures of everything as it is.  You can’t have too many pictures.  I don’t like iPhone pictures for reference but if you are comfortable with it, ok.

Now you need to get mechanical.  Star by removing the motor and transmission.  Mount the motor on an engine stand.  Pictures, pictures.  Take the motor apart recording everything.  Look for numbers and identification of everything.  Even bolts and studs.  ARP is a very well know manufacture of hotrod fasteners.  Some items have rule book quality specifications.  Grade 8 bolts for example.  Some parts will have SFI tags, do not destroy or remove these.  You have to have these parts certified periodically. 

The trans can probably be left alon for now. It will have a blanket and or shield as well as the belhousing. The flex plate and converter will also have tags so be careful of these.

You need to determine the cubic inches of the motor, compression ratio, camshaft brand and specifications. Cam specs are usually located on the ends of the cam.  Be sure to keep the lifter in positional order. Pictures, pictures.
Cylinder heads need to be checked for condition, valves, springs, rocker arms, pushrod guide plates and pushrods.
In short every detail.  This will help the tuners here guide you on preparing the motor.
Try to keep everything clean as you go. 

Then you can go over the rest of the car.  It looks nice so I’d guess it’s been well done.  My rule is all fasteners need to be grade 8 or better.  Washers on all rod ends, nylon nuts on most everything.

You probably will want a tool tray.  Most guys either build one or purchase something.  Any special tools are always stored in the tool tray and not used for fixing the kitchen sink. LOL  They are race car tools only even if you could use them on your streetrod....it gets its own special tools.  For example I have 6 sparkplug sockets  4 are custom modified 2 are standard but different length for my two Streetrods, they reside in their respective cars.  I have two more in my general tool box. 

For now this is enough.  Others can help out too.  I’d catalog the pictures for easy reference. 

Byron

Offline Alkydigger

• View Profile
    • AlkyDigger Fuel Injection, Superchargers, Ignitions
  • Your Best Time: 6.81 qtr
  • Your Engine: Early Hemi, 400 , Alcohol, Donovan
  • Your Vehicle: Non Currently
  • General Location: Nashville TN
Re: Newbie in need....
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 10:33:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum, you will find plenty of help here.
if I can help call me  Mike    615-457-3192   Alkydigger.com 
Mike Chilando
http://www.alkydigger.com/
info@alkydigger.com |615-457-3192

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster