Author Topic: Go Pro camera's  (Read 4647 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Go Pro camera's
« on: December 26, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
Have about 300 bucks in best buy gift ards.Thinking about getting Go Pro camera for FED. Wondering how many here use go pro and thoughts,good or bad.

Figure can help with car and keep eye on the light bulb in the seat.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - Humboldt County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Canode 225" Ex-Nostalgia Top Fueler
  • General Location: Midwest
Re: Go Pro camera's
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »
I did not like my GoPro.  Junky mounts, and to much wind noise.

If I were to get a new video camera, it would be a Contour.  They have some with GPS, and you can have telemetry on your videos.

http://contour.com
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:  1997 Hal Canode 225" FED

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
I have a Go Pro Hero 4 Black and the biggest gripe that I have with it is the overly complex menu. I also have an older Replay and that is very simple to operate. The other thing with the Go Pro is the price--you can buy very close to the same thing for about  1/10 of the price if you scout around the web.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 03:26:11 PM »
 A year or two back the Replay XD and Replay Mini were the best --All the circle track guys used them as perspective is close to normal where GoPros have much more of a wide angle and can be complicated to operate--The Replay cameras are simple as a stone ax to use--I have one and like it a lot--they are just nowhere to be had now--Ebay used to have a hundred ads for them now nothing! Good Vibrations sells them for about 3-4 times   $$ what they cost so that is no option--I paid like $120 for mine --they are not that hot at night but perfect in daytime--really small too but they are just nowhere to be had for reasonable price anymore
If you can get a Replay Mini for $120 range snap it up! If it quits working card is full just delete the card and it is back to work
You can go to Youtube and watch 4 videos I did with my Replay search david kluttz dragster--I am almost Amish and can't edit so there is a LOT of BS after each run just skip all that LOL
You can make your mounts from using parts from the crappy mounts and making them work

pawn shops are FULL of GoPros and Replays etc cheap FWIW  If it will not work they usually exchange but most are just fine
Sound is crappy on any in car video camera that is cheap  no way around it--we put scotch tape OVER the mic hole on the Replays and it made sound better but still crappy
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - Humboldt County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Canode 225" Ex-Nostalgia Top Fueler
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »
These videos were shot with a GoPro 2, which was still new at the time.  The GoPro 3 came out right after this season.  As you can tell, the microphone REALLY sucks.  The camera mount dampens nothing, so you hear every vibration and thud on the car.  I mounted the camera just behind the fuel tank one two and right in front of the engine on two, and you can hardly hear the engine, and it's a Top Fuel car!!!

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:54:53 PM by Calkins »
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:  1997 Hal Canode 225" FED

Offline Rusty Kramer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.90 @ 185mph 1/8 Mile
  • Your Engine: 472CID KB Olds Blown alky 14-71 HH
  • Your Track: Eddyville Raceway Park Eddyville, Iowa
  • Your Vehicle: Self Build Rear Engine BA/D
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
I have a Replay XD. Works pretty good.  audio is awful even with the tape over it. but you can learn somethings about the way you drive and what is going on with blower belts, tires, fuel out the pipes etc.  just never liked the clunky go pro.   I think they have a smaller version now.