Author Topic: torque convertor and blower  (Read 5019 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
torque convertor and blower
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:45:27 PM »
getting ready to buy a torque convertor.   running a blown 426 in NE1/7.0 pro

question is, with a blower i have been told that i would leave off idle since the motor/blower will be instant torque?  is that true? 

or, would you leave at 'x' rpm thats below peak torque (guess)? 

leaving of idle with blower setup wont shock tires as bad?

so, leave off idle (assuming 2k idle, which is a guess) and if the case you would just stage the fed, hit trans brake to hold in place then just release and mash gas pedal or hold brake and mash gas pedal?  if idle is 2k, then torque convertor would be built for 2500 or 3000 or ?

just looking for some input as i have no clue

ty
dean

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
Re: torque convertor and blower
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:32:55 PM »
Dean a good converter company will be able to lead you in the right direction. TCS Performance in AZ has been a lot of help and very good customer service for us. Spec rite is close to you but I would not recommend them as for customer service stinks and they never got our converter right and charged for every change they made. TCS is a lot like Continental Torque Converters(now closed). The owners appear to have been friends for a very long time... A1 also seems to be very popular.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
thank you for your reply.   i was/am going to get one from BTE as they have 20% off on black friday.  i got my top sportsman trans from them last year.   i would use A1 as i have few friends that have used them with great success.  trying to save a few bucks might not be the best way to make the decision but need so save some bucks somewhere as it all adds up.

anyways, was just curious on what is typical for blown big block setup.   id imagine small block guys prob launch at higher rpm then a blown big block setup. 

i just wanted to have some info prior to ordering so i know if they are talking BS whomever the torque convertor manufacture is.   just trying ot be little educated to help with decisions.

ty
dean

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:19:50 PM »
I think you will find most blower cars leave at somewhere between 3000 and 4000 rpms. When we ran the altered with Kerry and Bill the launch control was set at 4000.

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:11:20 AM »
A lot depends on trans gear and rear gear. My altered has 1.69 1st gear and 3.89 rear gear. If I leave at idle it will shake the crap out of the car!!!   My advice is to start with a high launch rpm and work your way down to find the sweet spot.

Steve Walczak

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
We had a launch control issue once and it left at an idle, and it caused it to shake violently. 1.80 low and 3.89 rear. I agree with Steve launch high and work to the sweet spot.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
On my car when I ran a powerglide I couldn’t leave much more than 2500 otherwise I would go red and get violent tire shake! But all cars are different one of the guys I run with currently runs 6.80’s and launches probably around 5-6000 RPM’s and the car launches smooth no shake!

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »
i ordered convertor today.  gave him all the specs of motor, car, etc.  in conversation told him shift at 7k so he said stall about 5800-6000 and have about 800 rpm drop on shift.   i asked about leaving at low rpm and mentioned situations like yours Paul where having to leave low rpm etc to not shock the tires and such.   

it seems like convertor characteristics are black magic.   ill go with whatever i get and if its not correct ill send it back and try something different.  its just tough not having ever been down the road what is correct.  i understand there is/will be changes and not everything is exact which is no big deal.  i just like to know as much as i can to make good decisions if possible.

one thing i wanted was a bolt together convertor for two reasons.  one if there is trans problem i can clean out at home and not have to send back/forth etc and deal with shipping and down time. and second is i will run 2 dif classes (not at same race).. run with the nor cal nostalgia guys and 7.0 so i will have a stator for each and just a simple swap out. 

btw, if anyone needs trans or convertor BTE trans has 20 percent off on friday; you can pre-order via phone now.

thank you
dean