Author Topic: Grow Nostalgia Racing.  (Read 5686 times)

Offline racerken

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.76 1/4 mile (FED)
  • Your Track: State Capital Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Baton Rouge La
Grow Nostalgia Racing.
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
NHRA is too closed mind to consider it but what if everyone started sending emails to IHRA asking them to consider adding some nostalgia classes to its events.If they get enough inquiries they might just have to think about it.  What do you think?  It can't hurt to try.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - Humboldt County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Canode 225" Ex-Nostalgia Top Fueler
  • General Location: Midwest
Re: Grow Nostalgia Racing.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:16:17 AM »
IHRA did have a Nostalgia Funny Car and Nostalgia Fuel Altered class a few years ago.  2017, they had no pro show.  They just said that they are going to be Sportsman only for 2018, and possibly beyond.  You can run anything in their current classes.  But I understand what you are saying.  NHRA has a Comp class for (Alky) Jr. Fuelers.  It would be neat if IHRA would have something as well.  Better yet (dreaming), if would be stellar if the AHRA would come back, and stick around, with a Nostalgia only platform.  It would be nice if the Goodguys would bring back the VRA in force, like it was about 15 years ago.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:  1997 Hal Canode 225" FED

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »
The Indianapolis based Nostalgia Pro Comp Association (NPCA) was awesome, it's a petty was short lived.

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »
Here in Texas we have the SHRA and it is a great organization. Yes, I agree NHRA should add some Nostalgia classes, I would certainly look into it.

Offline racerken

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.76 1/4 mile (FED)
  • Your Track: State Capital Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Baton Rouge La
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »
I agree.  Southwest Heritage Racing Assn., one of the best groups going!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:09 AM »
There's quite a bit of nostalgia racing around actually. The issue I see is that all these small nostalgia racing organizations have their classes and rule structures just enough different that it can be a perceived as a pain to run with a different group than the one you run with now. Part of the reason for that problem is the racers themselves, who generally want a class that fits their car as opposed to making their car fit a class. (Sometimes the creator of a group does the same thing)

If all these groups could get together and agree to follow a common rule package things would be much better in my opinion.  NHRA heritage series rules would be a great place to start as far as I'm concerned. If that was the case I could run all over the east coast and midwest if I wanted and also make it to both reunions if I wanted, all without trying to adapt to a different class everywhere I went.

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
That would be great if everyone could agree on a set of rules for heads up racing. All this Index racing that everyone is doing is really just a bracket race with everyone having the same dial in. Competition it is, Racing it is not.  We nostalgia racers are so spread out that its pretty hard to get together.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »
That would be great if everyone could agree on a set of rules for heads up racing. All this Index racing that everyone is doing is really just a bracket race with everyone having the same dial in. Competition it is, Racing it is not.  We nostalgia racers are so spread out that its pretty hard to get together.

Heads up racing is great, but racers being racers will drive the cost up no matter what. There would have to be an absolute stranglehold on the rules to keep costs in check. To the point of one guy building the engines and transmissions and renting them to racers at each event. Or you need a very serious tech crew to keep everybody in line. It all costs money that will get passed on to the racer. Index racing is a great way to race on a budget and it's pretty challenging to boot.

Everybody (including me) wants to race heads up but its just not feasible for most.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »

Heads up racing is great, but racers being racers will drive the cost up no matter what. There would have to be an absolute stranglehold on the rules to keep costs in check. To the point of one guy building the engines and transmissions and renting them to racers at each event. Or you need a very serious tech crew to keep everybody in line. It all costs money that will get passed on to the racer. Index racing is a great way to race on a budget and it's pretty challenging to boot.

Everybody (including me) wants to race heads up but its just not feasible for most.

I saw once a long time ago a race series that had a rule that said that after a race anyone could come up to you and purchase your race vehicle for X amount of dollars. If say that amount was $15,000 racers would be reluctant to invest any more that that in a vehicle and would keep costs of racing down and make heads up racing possible without someone spending $30,000 to beat everyone.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/