Author Topic: Anybody know about T5 manual trans ?  (Read 3238 times)

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
Anybody know about T5 manual trans ?
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
I want to swap a v8 into a mid 80 Mk3 Ford Capri. Here in the UK, this car was produced with pinto and v6 options but they go great with a V8.

Due to new legislation, cutting into the shell is a problem, so engine and trans must fit the existing tunnel. A 5.0 / T5 would slot in great, but over here decent donors are rare and expensive.  To that end I’ve decided to go Chevy as I can source a motor easier, but still want a T5 as I know it fits the tunnel and has the 5th gear overdriven.

GM V8 T5’s are rare in the US, let alone here, so I’ve sourced an adapter plate to bolt a Ford T5 to a Chevy bellhousing. A Muncie 11”  bellhousing, I believe you can get these cheap and some have pivots and windows for the clutch arm on the right, which would be good for right hand drive conversion.

Anybody have any experience with converting like this ? . Is there an easier way ?

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: Anybody know about T5 manual trans ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »
No such experience, but I think there were several different shifter lever locations, depending on vehicle. If you cannot cut the tunnel for shifter placement you might want to check the dimensions of the shifter vs the front face of trans.

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
Re: Anybody know about T5 manual trans ?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
GM cars and trucks with had different shifter locations which can be interchanged also different gear ratios and where weaker Non World Class, the WC's had bigger and different style bearings, input shaft had different splines for the clutch disc