Author Topic: READING THE 'PIPES' LOOKING IN THE ZOOMIES  (Read 3626 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
READING THE 'PIPES' LOOKING IN THE ZOOMIES
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »
This wk end we ran great--had another dragster guy help he kept looking at inside of all the zoomies --making comments about being "tacky" or not or ??  He was observing not teaching so I ask you guys
What am I looking for and what can I learn from alky engine zoomies   I want to understand better about what each cylinder is seeing
So far I just figured the odd pipe or darker plug was butterfly opening releated--like more air less air deal at idle
Kind of always figured what the heck do I care at idle they will all be same at wide open and tuning 8 butterflies is a joke--I don't think you can get all 8 in an old worn Hilborn with springs in wrong place, shafts twisted etc but after much chasing I have it all liveable so have left it alone all this time
Tell me what you know--oldtimers, expert tuners, anyone with an opinion or that can help me get better at this
Thanks
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
Re: READING THE 'PIPES' LOOKING IN THE ZOOMIES
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 06:05:39 AM »
 Dave:
Have you checked EGT's at idle? That's one way to see how well "balanced" the butterflies are at idle.
You can use a $25.00 heat gun to check them.
Some of the engines we do have washed the piston ring seal away from being to rich. It shows in the pipes.
If its running good leave it alone.

Matt
Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: READING THE 'PIPES' LOOKING IN THE ZOOMIES
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:57:55 PM »
Thanks Matt
yea I had a mag go bad and we were stupid and ran way too much fuel through it until we snapped out of it and put new mag in--so drained oil--refilled and ran 5.41, 5.40, then a 5.38  so I guess she stood the torture test LOL
I check pipes but the center pairs are always hotter and the end ones with the shaft most twisted are cooler so I just figured they are all fine when wide open so as long as it will run, stage, back up etc I have become used to just not caring about even temps  Just had an old timer really inspecting inside of pipes and wondered what he was looking for --he said tacky was good showing enough fuel so.......
Thanks!!!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development