Author Topic: LOVE me some nitro!  (Read 4406 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
LOVE me some nitro!
« on: November 05, 2017, 06:54:07 AM »
Well...
I have been crazy busy at work --got wrangled into remodeling the entire house ( took 3 months) and so every time I wanted to get the dragster out it rained or work called or Dad in hospital etc I had made 2 runs this year at a test in April
Finally drug it out and went to Nostalgia days at Greer Dragway  Greer SC yesterday and yahoo! I have been running 5.60's since I built her--dropped in a 10% load of nitro yesterday and made three beautiful runs  a 5.41 to start, then a 5.40, then topped it off with a 5.38 127 MPH  Had a great day! Man I love that stuff--no change to my regular tune up---I have had a 75 pill in since I started out years ago--14 nozzles a 2 3/16ths Hilborn on a plain 355 CI  about `13.7:1   Plugs looked perfect--pipes were tacky--Look out 20% here I come
man that thing laid the ears back and PULLED in high gear   I loved it
All my pals run injection a couple years then build a blower deal--I plan on maybe lowering compression a little on my next short block and upping Nitro percentage--Goal is a 4.90 something 1/8th mile
I figure that going this route vs. blower I can stay with my trans and converter, gear etc  maybe need some new shorter tires   Looking forward to my next outing
FWIW three of us have tried this--my other two friends have gone as high as 30% with nothing but timing change
I am following their path and can say I will never make another pass without the Good Stuff or as my wife calls it now--"Engine Heroin"
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: LOVE me some nitro!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »
iT is addictive. As for combo staying same.TQ will increase good amout and conveter stall wil change. FTI told me mine would go 700 above alky setup with additional 200  to 250 TQ which is about what FIE's calculator says a 25% load should give me.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »
actually my 8 inch converter has been on the tight side since I started so might put me dead on in that dept
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
Hey Dave I am pretty happy with the little amount that I tried in mine ! I did not notice a big increase in torque just overall the motor made more power at the same RPM range that it always runs ! I am very close to where I want to be for 7.0 pro that I may keep the tune up as it is and make some other changes to pick up that last tenth !

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »
When you go to a blown setup, you won't need the Nitro. I have a very VERY mild blown deal, only 370" @ 10-1 compression and with -10% underdrive went 4.89 the first time I stepped on it. That was shifting at only 6,200 and lifting well before the stripe.   I'm only telling you this, hoping to encourage you to spend your money on a supercharger instead of fuel. With a little overdrive and on a better track I think I should see some 4.40's or better. SOoooo, start looking for a decent 6-71 and you'll really get a kick out of it.  Have fun, be safe.

Offline aafa760

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7:02 @ 196
  • Your Engine: Blown BBC 450 BAE 496
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 225 Frameworks 7.0 Pro
  • General Location: PHX AZ
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:01:51 AM »
Dave
worse drug ever! When you pull the wire and it sounds like Godzilla just woke up chills baby chills.
At 87% the world changes flames power and all that comes with it,
Best racing I ever done.
I love my Fed and would entertain TF but with my old Century block and Dart heads I stay running 7.0 pro.

Bryan

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 11:32:41 AM »
I just mixed last of my 5 gal can so I have some 23% at 60 degrees   just waiting on a warmish wk end coming up that a good track is open near by--we are into fall but have had beautiful weather so far so just matter of couple few weeks to catch that last  good wk ends before tracks get finished--I want to lay it to it one last time before putting her away for winter
I really want a blower but am thinking I can buy set of pistons--lower CR a little and up % for next year--so pistons, balance job, few gaskets and try higher % next season while planning a blower for after that if business stays good
will let ya'll know how it goes and .....if it will stand 30% with what I have that may just be good enough for a while