Author Topic: bracket racing a FED ...  (Read 30154 times)

Offline bud

• Thanks for the Memories
    • View Profile
    • Buds-Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile =7.32
  • Your Engine: SBC
  • Your Track: Closed now MAR. KCIR.
  • Your Vehicle: FED,RMD..
Re: bracket racing a FED ...
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
8) I'm agreeing with Glen. There's absolutely no reason for not bracket racing a FED. One factor not mentioned however, is that there's no need to be the fastest car, just the most consistent. Build the car to be comfortable, cool running, low maintenance and able to go rounds/hot lap. If you can cut the best light and run your number you have the winning combo. I have found that the faster you go, the more difficult it becomes to be consistent. A mild engine on alky, something that will never spin or wheelie is the way to take home the cash.  One advantage of the RED is that the driver has the best possible view of the front tires, helping to "drive the finish line".  I like the M/T 33x10.5wx15 tire on a 12 inch wheel. It's a light weight tire with a long contact patch. A lot of people don't realize it but the length of the contact patch is more important for traction in drag racing, than width is.  Have fun! :P
I could not agree more. everything that is going to be done has been done with a FED, so now it's just a matter of having fun as a Bracket racer FED. In running a bracket car the race is with yourself to run the number you have set with no errors( low et and mph is no big deal) . I have a little 350 bored .040 with a 30/30 solid cam with old hilborn stack injection on alka, and go thru the lights at about 5800 at 136 at 9.98 to 10.02 and it works like a clock  on 4 gal of alka. I use a trans cooler for a radiator with a elect fan and a elect water pump. and running alka I can do a drive around and I have no problem heating. and if I am going to a car crackle fest or a car show or a grand opening for a auto parts store I put the blown motor in for show and if they are paying I will fire the blown motor for a price. after all I have close to 30 grand in the Blown motor and run time on a blown motor is not very long. lol
 Bud
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:54:52 PM by bud »
Bud

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 12:30:12 AM »
Don't let that 10.5x33 tire fool ya it works great I have used them for years on all types of cars and horsepower levels! You can get the M/T take offs from the 10.5 Outlaw guys with maybe 8 runs for about $100 a set and they will last a long time on a FED ;) I just bought a new set of Phoenix 10.5x33 tires and put them on my door car and this past weekend the 60 foot varied only 4 thousand's in 21 passes :o This is no joke this tire works if you would like a great deal call  Dragracetires.com and ask for Eric Gullette! They used to leak air but they redid the molding and mine never leaked all weekend! We were at a 3 day bracket race and on Friday my car ran 6.23 5 times in a row ??? I also just installed a new Quick Fuel 750 alky carb and I tell you of all the different names of alky builders this one is and will be my choice from now on it runs great and uses a lot less alky than the others too! Hope my FED will do this when finished ;D

Randy!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:32:37 AM by Blind Mule »

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
i use quick fuel gas carbs , they really are a nice carb  .   i already made up my mind going injected alky with this when i build it .   i have used an alky carb on my 1st car it was a very consistent package , just had an edelbrock mechincal fuel pump , and BG barrel valve and that was it , worked very well i even won alot of rounds with that setup in super racing and it was in my camaro .

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 03:01:19 PM »
I have a really nice one for sale in the for sale category (1050) with lots of goodies to go along with it

http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?topic=280.msg1067#msg1067

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 07:10:26 PM »
Pretty sure there is a law agianst using carb on fed or it should be.Heck theres a law against everything else now days. If god wanted man to run crapurators he would  not have given man brain to make fuel injection.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 08:01:50 PM »
Pretty sure there is a law agianst using carb on fed or it should be.Heck theres a law against everything else now days. If god wanted man to run crapurators he would  not have given man brain to make fuel injection.

ouch. :) some of us are just lasier than others. ;D running a buick, i have to hand make everything.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »
Hey running a TFX-92 in bracket car & Im in same boat.Items I can find I usually make because it cheaper and working with no budget. Hey Im building my own injector and sheetmetal intake.Heck Im building most everything on car including the chassis. Another 60' or so of tubing and chassis will be done I THINK. Then I can finish fuel tank and mounting air bottle,firebottle and nitrous bottle.Man this things on the bottle isn't it.  1 to be consistent(shifts) 1 to go fast and one to cool it down if things get too hot.

But hey building it is almost as much fun as driving.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline blake

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3 cars. 7.78: 7.20: 5.96 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 2 cars Chev, 3rd car Hemi
  • Your Track: Sydney Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Australia
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 04:13:34 PM »
Hi.
Bracket racing can be won with an FED. We won last year's bracket. After missing the first meeting, attended the next 6. Won 4 of them, came runner up in one, then won the championship. Go to www.blakeracing.com.au and you can read all about it.

Regards
Darron

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
Hi.
Bracket racing can be won with an FED. We won last year's bracket. After missing the first meeting, attended the next 6. Won 4 of them, came runner up in one, then won the championship. Go to www.blakeracing.com.au and you can read all about it.

Regards
Darron
Welcome
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 05:05:43 AM »
the majority of todays bracket dragsters are RED's  , lets hear what it would take for a  FED to run in todays highly competative electronics class .

if you where to build a fed for just bracket racing , how would you set it up ?

motor size / power ?

tire size ?

rear gear ?

lentgh of car ?

engine placement ?

im going to build a FED here in the next few months and hoarding parts . here is what im thinking so far

200" car

383 sbc  injected alky  , make around 650hp

2 spd glide  with 1.80 gear

rear gear im thinking around the 4.33 range 

rear tire  not really sure , im thinking a 29x12 slick should do well  ?

any advice ?   we dont see many feds in the bracket classes these days and my local track has an easy 40+ dragsters in super on any given sunday , so id like to be some what competative ...

thanks !

Been there done that. It's a blast. On your combo, if I could pick anything I wanted I would use a full length glide 1.76 ratio, 4.10 gear, 32x14 tire. With an injected 355 and a short glide 175in car I had to slow it down on the starting line a little to get it to repeat. It would hit the wheelie bar to hard and unload the tires. Be prepared after a few rounds on 90 degree day cockpit will be HOT.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »
225'' slip joint chassis
decent but not ove high powered motor say maybe 1000 hp Like inject 540 hemi
 set motor out good ways for better balance maybe 50" out to keep front down
 Powerglide with 1.69 low
 3.90 to 4.30 rear to soften starting line hit
 15x14 or 15x15  hoosier tire
 Make it simple but with all the electronics that you have to have to compete

Oh yea Im building that for bracket deal even after being told it wouldn't work by 90% of guys on cpl sites.