Author Topic: bracket racing a FED ...  (Read 30088 times)

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
bracket racing a FED ...
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »
the majority of todays bracket dragsters are RED's  , lets hear what it would take for a  FED to run in todays highly competative electronics class .

if you where to build a fed for just bracket racing , how would you set it up ?

motor size / power ?

tire size ?

rear gear ?

lentgh of car ?

engine placement ?

im going to build a FED here in the next few months and hoarding parts . here is what im thinking so far

200" car

383 sbc  injected alky  , make around 650hp

2 spd glide  with 1.80 gear

rear gear im thinking around the 4.33 range 

rear tire  not really sure , im thinking a 29x12 slick should do well  ?

any advice ?   we dont see many feds in the bracket classes these days and my local track has an easy 40+ dragsters in super on any given sunday , so id like to be some what competative ...

thanks !

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: bracket racing a FED ...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
You should look at my build, that is all I have done is ET race with my FED, no electronics (TransBrake).
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »
You know dang well that you can't bracket race a FED(At least that's what I been hearing) BUT I AM GONNA PROVE THEM WRONG >J A C K< ??? ;) I'm building one now (may never finish it me and my wallet are arguing)

Mine will have a 331 Ford to start with with a glide but not sure about rear gear maybe a 3.89 gonna step up with more motor if the car acts right :-[ I have 10x5x33 Phoenix tires for mine!

wideopen231 may chime in he is building one also!

Randy!

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 07:02:06 AM »
yea i hear ya cant race a fed either , but thats only for guys that dont know there cars  .  i ha da 4 link car with a 632 that ran 7.4x's at 186 , it was fun , i was sort of the weekend warrier , but i want to build something that i really want , and thats a fed , im going to build it for a 6.0 cert so if i want to down the road i can do other things with it .

i might even just stick a milder motor in it something around the 500hp range 

Offline AF150

• The Devil is in the Details
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.37 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Early Hemi, 365", Blown Alky
  • Your Track: Tulsa Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 200" FED
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
No reason you can not bracket race a FED and be successful.
I would aim for consistancy. Bigger rear tires...1.76 or higher first gear...radiator & fan for when
they hot-lap you in the later rounds...big fuel tank (maybe 5 gal. for same reason) and keep 'er
in the groove. Good luck.
MB

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 11:44:22 AM »
225 digger There is no reason why you can't bracket race with a FED. I think there is anothe post about this on the forum When you think about it dose it really matter where the motor is . A lot of the dragster guy's argue that a 4 link is more consistant than a hard tail I just don't buy it . I felt just like you and was tired of the same old thing That's why I built mine and let me tell you it was the best thing I could have ever done . I have owned 6 dragster's in my racing career 3 FED'S and 3 RED'S and this is the best race car I have ever owned period! Just do it and have some fun !     

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
i guess its the same old argument , about a hard tail VS a 4 link , VS a swing arm vs a mono shock vs a slip joint  .....   everyone has the ideal chassis ,

i guess i was more interested in hearing what setups who is running , ill be honest , past almost 3 yrs i have been away from the racing stuff , other than making zoomies for the nostalige guys and boat racers i really have not thought about it , i guess i started to get the itch again back in october so now i want to build a whole new car but something i really want . 

all i ever did was bracket raced , 1st a door car with a 350 sbc on alky running 10'60's with a th400 , i ran super with it , and it was very consistent , i stopped racing to fund my business , and then got the dragster . and sold that to fund another business venture .

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
AGAIN YOU CAN NOT BRACKET RACE A FED. Go to Drr and you wuill see whare about everyone told me so. Being the determined person I am(no its not stuborn) Im building one iwht the main thing being to bracket race.

My combo maybe little extreme.

225" slipjoint 2.2c legal chassis
 526 ci hemi with alky injection and 400 shot for finishline driving .Maybe 1000 hp plus nitrous when used
 1.69 low gear powerglide
 3.90 rearend gear
 15x15  Hoosier tire
  Building to be as lite as i can afford to make it will be adding most electronic goodies  like dealy box dats system(later date) and mag controller for tuning to track.
  I will have few things that go against my lite wieght rule. Like full  parachute body and possibly canopy. But drawing attenoin and hoping to pull few sponsor bucks to help out with cost.Idea is 300 RED and maybe 2(maybe) FED's,got to get you talk time and attention,just want sponsors want attention to their name.

I see no reason a car with more rear weight and a KISS  theory applied can not be just as consistent as a red, You may have to work to get it which is why I think most go RED route its easy and everyones doing it. Im just hoping I get mine out before everyone else gets smart and changes over.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
You can ET race a FED, I have been doing it for two years now. I drive from the pits to the line, I run my race, I drive back to the pits and can turn it around in just over ten minutes.

This is the secert

Radiator and a pump

Glenn R. Lever

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
glenn , i like the radiator setup .  very nice and clean ..... .my RED i had with the 632 it was a gas deal , rad right behind me with fan , i could almost hot lap it , it needed 5 mins or so to cool alittle as i liked staging it around 160degs water temp , but it always worked well for being a gas setup with a big motor ......

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
I have taken a lot of heat for this, but I like the radiator set up so much that I am keeping it with the blower build.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 12:34:57 PM »
225 Digger I was looking over your combo and that 29 inch tire with that gear would be a little short . You might be better off with a taller tire a 32 or 33 would be better . What kind of injection are you going to run?

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
 8) I'm agreeing with Glen. There's absolutely no reason for not bracket racing a FED. One factor not mentioned however, is that there's no need to be the fastest car, just the most consistent. Build the car to be comfortable, cool running, low maintenance and able to go rounds/hot lap. If you can cut the best light and run your number you have the winning combo. I have found that the faster you go, the more difficult it becomes to be consistent. A mild engine on alky, something that will never spin or wheelie is the way to take home the cash.  One advantage of the RED is that the driver has the best possible view of the front tires, helping to "drive the finish line".  I like the M/T 33x10.5wx15 tire on a 12 inch wheel. It's a light weight tire with a long contact patch. A lot of people don't realize it but the length of the contact patch is more important for traction in drag racing, than width is.  Have fun! :P

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »
every car i built and now the fed is built nascar style. my son likes to go round and round. radiators r' us.  lol
he likes the fed more than the door cars.

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 06:35:51 PM »
225 Digger I was looking over your combo and that 29 inch tire with that gear would be a little short . You might be better off with a taller tire a 32 or 33 would be better . What kind of injection are you going to run?

just considering options , i think i might look into afaulk's mention about the 33x10.5 tire .. ..... as for injection , what ever spud wants me to use.... i been following him on the net for as long as i can remember so id like to do alittle business with him when im ready to order a setup .