Author Topic: Gear Jam Drags feedback...  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Scottmech

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: none......yet
  • Your Engine: Chevy 350 alky injected
  • Your Track: Commerce
  • Your Vehicle: Believed to be 137" Woody Jr Fueler from mid 60's
  • General Location: Atlanta
Gear Jam Drags feedback...
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:51:24 AM »
To any of my hot rodding freinds who knows anyone that has a front engine dragster or altered...

The Gear Jam event here in GA is looking for feedback on how they can inicrease car FED/Alt count at their events at Atlanta Dragway. The events are in April and October.

They are typically on Fri/Sat with a gamblers race Fri and 1/8 mile index racing on the second day.

What would it take to get you guys to come to the track?? The payoputs are decent, the track is good, the pits are paved..all the makings of a REALLY great event.

One suggestion is to move the event to a Sat/Sun format.

Another was to have 1/4 mile racing in the FED/Alt class compared to 1/8.

Seriously....what would it take??

Thanks for the input.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: Gear Jam Drags feedback...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »
Well Scottmech, I don't know what expectations you have as far as car count, but I can relate my experience with a similar race we have up here.
My local track started a nostalgia drag race about five years ago. It started as a one-day race and became so popular it has grown into a three-day deal. A local FED/altered enthusiast convinced the track to have a FED/altered Nostalgia Comp class. This year there were nine cars competing. Our rules - no electronics, .400 Pro Tree, half second indices, quarter mile, qualify off your r.t.s. It is a $50 entry fee, $900 purse ($500 to win/ $200 r/up/ $100 semis). Our format is gambler's race or test-n-tune Friday (all classes eligible), and separate races Saturday and Sunday, each with a chance at $500 for a $50 entry. If you pre-enter both Saturday and Sunday you get to test-n-tune Friday for free.
I talked to the track manager and expressed my concern that our entry fees are not even covering the payout and I was worried that they might end the class. She assured me that the fan interest was high and they will keep the class because it is so popular.
I get my old Logghe car out for this race and a couple of other vintage events each year. My take is there are only a small number of car owners that have a track worthy car to do this. Most modern altereds (and a few FEDs) are set up for Super Pro with delay box/electronic shifting, etc. and are not necessarily interested in changing their cars to meet the rules for a class that is typically paying less than half of a typical Super Pro weekend payout. Others in the area are of the "exhibition run / cacklefest" mentality and  not interested or not able to actually compete on track. And, yes, we had cars like that on the grounds that we just couldn't convince/ cajole/ badger them into joining us. Go figure.
So if you can convince the track that this class is a useful/ desirable component of Nostalgia racing even with a relatively small car count and is one the fans will embrace and, more importantly from their standpoint, come back to see next year, then you will have a realistic idea of what you can expect. One fan came up to me last year after I had just run a AA/A 7.50 car in my six banger E/A 10.50 car and said that was the BEST match-up of the entire weekend.

Here's a seven minute video of this year's race. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG6tOzJHOdw&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:43:33 AM by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER »

Offline Scottmech

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: none......yet
  • Your Engine: Chevy 350 alky injected
  • Your Track: Commerce
  • Your Vehicle: Believed to be 137" Woody Jr Fueler from mid 60's
  • General Location: Atlanta
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:07:43 AM »
Excellent. Some of those suggestions have all ready been mentioned to the promotor. It’s good when it comes from another source. Thanks.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »
I should also mention that originally it was an eight-car qualified field and now it is "all run". Makes sense.