Author Topic: Harness dates.  (Read 3933 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Harness dates.
« on: October 26, 2017, 06:11:44 PM »
Howdy. Here is Australia my harness has 10 years from date of manufacture before it needs to be replaced. I have just purchased an RCI 5 point how ever they no longer have a DOM rather a 2 year expiration date (in this case Dec 2019). Any idea why they have made this change ? No clue on their web site.
Cheers
Tony

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - Humboldt County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Canode 225" Ex-Nostalgia Top Fueler
  • General Location: Midwest
Re: Harness dates.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »
I raced for the first time in 2001.  At that point in time, belts only had a two year life to them.

BUT!

You can send them back to the manufacturer for "inspection".  If the hardware is "good", they will reweb them and you save some money.

BUT!!

Since you are not in the States, I would imagine that the shipping cost to and from the manufacturer would eat up your savings.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:  1997 Hal Canode 225" FED

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
It seems fewer and fewer manufacturers are offering re-webbing services. As Calkins states it is usually nearly as inexpensive to just buy a new set and sell the old stuff on the internet to somebody who doesn't care about dates (mud / rock crawlers, sports car racers, vintage racers, etc.). Some manufacturers will discount a new set if you send back your old stuff.

I always wondered why belts had such a short life. Yeah, I get it that some owners let them drag on the ground up the return road, get sun faded from UV, soaked in trans fluid, etc., but most of the sets I've replaced look like new when removed. It would seem to me that replacement could be a judgement-call-attached-to a-sunset clause, i.e. if your belts look OK at the discretion of the tech guy you can continue to use them up to an extended cut-off date. The rule seems to be aimed at an exceptionally few bad occurrences. How many of us replace the belts in our daily drivers every two years?

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 08:30:38 AM »
It seems fewer and fewer manufacturers are offering re-webbing services. As Calkins states it is usually nearly as inexpensive to just buy a new set and sell the old stuff on the internet to somebody who doesn't care about dates (mud / rock crawlers, sports car racers, vintage racers, etc.). Some manufacturers will discount a new set if you send back your old stuff.
I just got my belts back from Impact and they always re-web completely, the only item reused is the buckle, here's a link to their restraining info: https://www.impactraceproducts.com/Articles.asp?ID=248, scroll down to the bottom to see the info on re-certing/re-webbing their belts.

Offline aafa760

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7:02 @ 196
  • Your Engine: Blown BBC 450 BAE 496
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 225 Frameworks 7.0 Pro
  • General Location: PHX AZ
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:55:53 AM »
Tony SFI made change last year on tags to help Track tech to under stand when they where expired.
Nobody even thought of the Aussies getting ten years out of them!